Hardware live sampler/sequencer/looper

• Members

I likes messing around with the Kaosillator. It's dead easy, quick to doodle some ideas out with, and just plain mess around with.

I want something that will let me do this with external gear. I want to sample audio AND/OR MIDI as loops, and I want to have multiple tracks to do it with so I can mute them, etc. I DON'T want to have to stop recording to do anything or make changes, and I DON'T want to use a PC.

What magical piece of hardware am I looking for?

Help me KSS, you're my only hope.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I likes messing around with the Kaosillator. It's dead easy, quick to doodle some ideas out with, and just plain mess around with.

I want something that will let me do this with external gear. I want to sample audio AND/OR MIDI as loops, and I want to have multiple tracks to do it with so I can mute them, etc. I DON'T want to have to stop recording to do anything or make changes,
---------------------------

Abelton Live. :evil:

Seriously though.

• Members

I want something that will let me do this with external gear. I want to sample audio AND/OR MIDI as loops, and I want to have multiple tracks to do it with so I can mute them, etc. I DON'T want to have to stop recording to do anything or make changes, and I DON'T want to use a PC.

Get a MacBook and Ableton:lol:

Seriously, tho... you could connect all your hardware to Ableton... and just use Ableton to output the midi to your hardware devices. You could synch up everything quite well.

• Members

a-HA! I knew it. So, what's missing/wrong/broken?

It doesn't make the transition to linear music very well for me. For building up patterns its great. I tend to get stuck in 1-2 bar pattern land (with Roland sequencers etc) and I hate that. Sequencing patterns is not super intuitive and...

• Members

It doesn't make the transition to linear music very well for me. For building up patterns its great. I tend to get stuck in 1-2 bar pattern land (with Roland sequencers etc) and I hate that. Sequencing patterns is not super intuitive and...

How well does it play with others, i.e. external gear? I'm not interested in using softies with it.

• Members

I asked for this same exact thing awhile ago, without much luck. I actually built a Nord G2 patch that was controlled by a Kaoss Pad 3 to sample MIDI loops. It worked, but was a little clunky.

Since then I wised up and realized that the Octopus (which I already had) excels at this exact thing, although I wouldn't recommend buying an Octopus just for a MIDI looper... and actually while I am thinking about it, the RS7000 may be a good choice, except you can't move from playback to realtime record without stopping playback. You can move to grid record without stopping though.

For audio, you can't beat the Kaoss Pad 3 itself, it is fun as hell and you can store off loops to memory card for later massaging and aligning. The key with the KP3 is to understand how the timing and alignment function work or you will have problems keeping things in sync, and you never have to stop playback (except to store/load samples)

cheers

ripe

• Members

It has better MIDI timing than Cubase SX3...

Yeah it integrates well with hardware, any specific questions?

I can't think of any right off the top, thanks though. I guess I'll go ahead and test-drive the demo, I've been putting it off. I sure would rather have a hardware solution. :(

• Members

I have the KP3. Brilliant thing to have around for sampling stuff on the fly..

However, I was messing around with a sample loop.. slowed the tempo and the sample merely slowed down (no time stretch?)... I then started to sample other stufff while the loop cycled and the new loops would gradually lose sync...

Not sure why this is but guess its related to what a poster said on the first page.

• Members

For the audio looping, the Electro Harmonix 2880 Super Multi-Track Looper with the Foot Controller and 2GB Compact Flash is on my soon-to-buy list.

I've been GASing for one for a while, but none of my local stores stock it to try. It has great reviews and seems to be the best hardware audio looper available. I was originally looking for the Electrix Repeater Mk2, but the company went bust.

Here's a good looper example (using the older Electrix Repeater) by Imogen Heap.

[YOUTUBE]25VGdNU3nrU[/YOUTUBE]

Archived