Hardware live sampler/sequencer/looper

• Members

The Boss RC-50 does most of what the Puppy wanted except to record a MIDI sequence as MIDI and transmit it.

However, if you just want to capture loops of audio and have the ability to turn them on or off via MIDI, or to be able to start or stop an external sequence that is, in turn, fed into the RC-50 and then sampled and played back, you can do this.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/faq.cfm?iCncd=1038&FAQ=EN05-10738&dsp=1&ln=en&prd=RC50

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The KP3 is still better for the Kaossilator, even now that this undead thread has been resurrected. The KP3's 4 stereo sample pads, resampling, effects, and drum patterns are better than the Boss single loop with undo/redo, IMO. The KP3 is cheaper too.

• Members

Well, since we're dressing up the undead, I guess I'll add my agreement that the KP3 is the best single solution that I've found, at least that isn't also very expensive or rare.

Electrix is supposedly coming back to life and releasing the Repeater once again, which might provide another option. For now, though, that's vaporware, and if they bring it back at the same price point as it was back in the day, the KP3 will still be ahead.

I still find use for the SP-404, but it's a "fixed" sampler primarily, for pre-found snippets. It's tempting to say a MPC500 is a better deal overall than the SP-404.

Archived