Best "Metal" Distortion/Overdrive Pedal

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've heard demos of the PisdiYAUwot, and was impressed. You could also check out the Box of Metal, Boss HM-3 and modded Metal Zone (:o).

The Boss HM-2 does early 80s British invasion metal pretty well (if you like it fuzzy and a bit nasal sounding). I've just got this one. Great little box.

Personally I'd probably go for the Blackstar HT-Dist X for a metal overdrive (as given the choice for that sound I'd go with amp overdrive), as most of my taste in metal tones is very modern amp overdrive stuff. Eg. John Petrucci's tone in Dream Theater. The Blackstar from what I've heard sounds huge and saturated, and has great EQ control. Definitely the closest I've heard to a Mesa/other high-gain amp head in a box...

Guest Guest

For brootz, PisdiYAUwot

I'm thoroughly enjoying mine, and the lower gain stuff it does is just as impressive.

Also, Kayzer said the Okko Dominator doesn't fail at lower gain levels, and that thing is a HELL of a lot more brutal at higher gains than the PisdiYAUwot judging by the demos.

• Members

If you like the Rectifier flavor, Wampler's Triple Wreck is fantastic. I love love love my Triple Recstortion and the new version just adds on to that already capable foundation as I understand it.

The Damage Control Solid Metal is aptly named for a number of reasons, but salient here is that it is capable of an extremely authentic distortion tone, combining some solid state components including exceptionally clever EQ and two tubes running at non starved-plate configurations to get very responsive distortion. It has its own sound, but it isn't overpowering so it works very well with whatever amp you've got. For nearly two years the DC Solid Metal and Liquid Blues were the only dirt pedals in my chain and I still remember that as some of the best tone I've ever had.

For a highly capable but affordable generalist high gain pedal, check out the Barber Dirty Bomb. It is well designed and well built, and though it isn't just $99 anymore it is still relatively inexpensive. It employs a modified passive Baxandal EQ with an internal low bass adjustment, and works with pretty much any amp out there. It will roar but you'd be surprised at how controllable its gain is. Posting from my (non-smart) phone so I don't have the ability to link demos but I recorded a number of them when I got it in to show its versatility.

If you like a more Marshall flavored high gain tone, you have a number of options but definitely consider Radial's Tonebone Hot British (or the fully solid-state little brother, the London Bones). When I reviewed it against a lot of other "Marshall in a box" pedals, it stood out as a sweet spot for variety and quality at a fair price. I've seen a lot of them sell for around $100 used, and it is a friggin' steal at that price. It will solidly get you in the ballpark of pretty much any Marshall distortion sound you want (at least as close as you can get with a pedal). Not as accurate at getting really specific sounds like, say, the ProTone Jason Becker Distortion, which totally nails the sounds available with the recording rig he used on Perpetual Burn, but it is very affordable by comparison and within the Marshall tone idiom it is a real jack of all trades that kicks ass at high gain.

Since I mentioned the JB Distortion, I feel compelled to add a recommendation for the ProTone Monster Fuzz, which is a really sick high gain fuzz distortion pedal that has a much tighter core and overall sound than most heavy fuzzes. It can go into sputtery crazy territory when cranked but around the midpoint on the fuzz knob it is metal as hell. Nice wide sweet spot on the tone knob too. pricey but worth it if you want fuzz that gets incredibly hairy without losing the plot.

I could recommend so many more pedals that I've tried and loved for sweet high gain but this is already a huge post. I don't actively keep up with trends, so I can't tell you what is hot right now, but over the years I have used a lot of great and some not so great pedals. Hopefully these few recommendations can give you some options you may not have considered. If the thread lives maybe I'll add more when I'm at a proper computer instead of typing on my phone.

• Members
Ya I really like the PisdiYUAwot, Blackstar, and the Triple Wreck but I need to be convinced on one. I've been on a metal kick lately and the Riot isn't doing it for me so it's probably off to the chopping block.

:mad:

What kind of metal are you wanting to do? Bands!

• Members
Killswitch, All That Remains, ISIS, Unearth, Wintersun, Nevermore

A pretty broad spectrum
:thu:

Yeah, I'd NEVER suggest a Riot for that stuff.

PisdiYAUwot is 5150 meets Recto. It's tight, ballzy, not fizzy, and pretty quiet as far as noise goes.

I can't imagine anything being better at THAT sound. I haven't heard the Dominator or Triple Wreck, but I feel like the Pisdi will have more "djent" to it.

• Members
Yeah, I'd NEVER suggest a Riot for that stuff.

PisdiYAUwot is 5150 meets Recto. It's tight, ballzy, not fizzy, and pretty quiet as far as noise goes.

I can't imagine anything being better at THAT sound. I haven't heard the Dominator or Triple Wreck, but I feel like the Pisdi will have more "djent" to it.

So it's pretty much the equivalent of what you said about the Riot but for Metal, "all balls and no fizz" :lol:

• Members

from all the clips i've heard of the PisdiYAUwot on Godlyke's website, youtube, it just sounds kinda thin to me. I thought I liked it at first but it's gotta have a good low end. Anybody have any experience with the Blackstar HT Dist X?

• Members

from all the clips i've heard of the PisdiYAUwot on Godlyke's website, youtube, it just sounds kinda thin to me. I thought I liked it at first but it's gotta have a good low end. Anybody have any experience with the Blackstar HT Dist X?

It's got the perfect amount.

Don't forget in a typical metal mix, the bass is often mirroring the lowest note the guitars are playing, so that both instruments are extensions of each other. The getting in the say of the bass will actually weaken the mix.

But, that being said, the Pisdi has quite a bit of bass on tap.

Archived