Arturia Origin: Anybody buy/play it?

Palaver

• Members

What the hell happened to this thing? Did anyone around these parts buy it? Is this the Pontiac Aztec of synths?

What's going on with this thing? If it was priced at around 1200 bucks, I might consider the damn thing.

I like Arturia, but what the hell happened on this one?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unlike ARP, I don't think it will
kill
Arturia.

Do you?

I picked up the Analog Factory Experience for {censored}s and giggles. It's a fun little program that's great for grabbing sounds while 'in-the-moment.'

I heard a rumour that the Muse Research team is releasing fully blown Receptor compatible versions of the Arturia product line. I think this would be fantastic... and definitely the way to go.

If the Muse Research group does this, I think it will potentially cause mass extinction of the Arturia Origin.... well, I guess that's impossible when something is still a pipe dream (the Origin).

• Members

OT, but, I wish the Receptor would come down in price a bit. If they could bring one in for under a grand, I'd be tempted. (...
more
tempted.. I'm "tempted" now.)

Well, there's still the V-Machine slated for release in a month or two. I wish I could afford a Muse. One with all my newly acquired NI stuff would be the {censored}.

• Members

Well, there's still the V-Machine slated for release in a month or two. I wish I could afford a Muse. One with all my newly acquired NI stuff would be the {censored}.

I am waiting it out until October. I want to see what Native Instruments has in the works... I know they usually make their announcements in the fall.

As of now, I want a Total Workstation Rack in the Pro Jr. Configuration. I spoke to Muse and they said they'd be willing to do a deal in this format. Eventually, I'll toss in Stylus, and Omnisphere when that gets released for it.

In the meantime, I'm happy with my setup. I just want to move over my softsynths/plugins in the Receptor domain.

• Members

$2690 retail at Sweetwater:

$1000 less than John Bowen Solaris, slated to be released around the same time.

You can buy an Andromeda, PEK, Prophet 08...etc for less than that.

I doubt the origin will sell well.

Personally, if i were going to go all out on a digital synth, Id rather spend my money on a Virus TI, or a used Q+.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Solaris demos: http://www.johnbowen.com/solaris.html

I have to correct myself here - the Solaris does not emulate a modular analog synth - only 4 oscillators, and what looks to be a fairly set architecture.

* 4 Oscillators, each with several types available: MultiMode, WaveTable, CEM, WAV (sample playback), VS (single cycle waves), SuperSaw

* 4 Filters, each with a dedicated Mixer. Filter types are: Ladder Lowpass, 24, 12, 6, dB, Highpass 24, 12, 6 dB, Bandpass 24 dB, Comb (2 types), State Variable 12 dB LP, HP, BP, and Notch

* 2 Vector Mixers, 2 Rotors (special 4-step waveshape sequences), 2 AM sections (includes Ring Mod)

* 6 DADSRs, 2 8-stage loopable envelopes

* 4 free LFOs, 1 Vibrato LFO. Each has delayed start, fade in, and fade out times, key sync and Phase control

* Phaser, Chorus, Flanger, Delay, Overdrive, 3-band EQ effects

So, it's not really competing with the Origin.

The Origin, on the other hand is attempting to emulate a modular analog. Quite ambitious of them:

vc_front_open_a_2000x1421.jpg

• Members

I'd like it just for the Minimoog V, Jupiter 8V, and Prophet V with an integrated interface and no dongles. :lol:

They should allow the buyer to customize the wanted software to taste. It would lower the cost and make a lot of people happier. :thu:

I'd take the keyboard version with just those three and the modular capabilities.

• Members

I wasn't getting an OASYS, I'd probably be all over this. It's much better than their soft-synths in that you can mix and match modules, creating tones that are more than just emulation and never existed in hardware. That's generally the kind of thing I look for in a digital synth. Also, Future Music seemed to rave about it. (Then again, they rave about pretty much every single product out there...)

-D

Archived