Arturia Origin: Anybody buy/play it?

Palaver

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the list price is just more (dud) hype.

they wont sell 200 of them for that kind of money.

the street prices should be:

1200 USD desktop

1700 USD w/ keyboard

then they might sell 1,000 units, somehow.

anything more is charging way too much for software they've already recouped most R&D costs for already.

sure, the architecture is different - but most of the code for the 'modules' has already been implemented in MinimoogV, ProphetV etc...

• Members

anything more is charging way too much for software they've already recouped most R&D costs for already.

sure, the architecture is different - but most of the code for the 'modules' has already been implemented in MinimoogV, ProphetV etc...

Yeah - really, they should just give you the damn thing, and pay you for the privilege, right?

I'd happily wager real money that you have absolutely no idea about the costs involved in one single aspect of the development of the Origin, including any optimisations they may or may not have had to make to any of the code - nor are you likely to ever have access to any of this information.

The Origin deserves to live or die on it's own merit - regardless of any perceived similarity or heritage from earlier Arturia products, and I for one wish them every success with it.

• Members

I was going to post pretty much the same, but you put it much better than me.

I've no interest in the Origin, just not sure why everyone's so down on it w/o (for the most part) having even heard or seen it. It's as if people want it to fail.

I know Arturia seem to be hated but their stuff can't be that bad as they're successful. Been fairly well reviewed from what I've seen (of course we'll now get the standard 'reviewers are in the pockets of the manufacturers' retort...).

Yet again a product could fail before it even gets a chance in the market thanks to internet 'experts' (see Alesis Fusion?).

• Members

I'd love to have one of these but I would prefer the keyboard version they've been showing for a while.
Instead of a rack of modules, I switched to having a keyboard version of each synth I have so I can reach for what I want to play instead of programming something to tell it I want to play it (a zone, MIDI patchbay, sequencer track/ch, etc.).
Anybody heard when the keyboard version is supposed to ship?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Anybody got one?? I am really curious about the box. The demos seem to sound really good, the reviews turn out nice, but I would like to get some comments how it compares to let's say a Virus and most importantly, how difficult it is to dig through the interface. If it is as cumbersome as the A6 I probably would not want it.

• Members

Bought 1 awhile back. Played around with it for about a month then returned it. With all the other synths i got around here i felt it wasn't separating itself enough. The sound was good but i wasn't blown away. I have enough of Arturia's soft synths and couldn't justify the $2100.00 price tag to hold on to the Origin.

• Members

raffor, I will check on the audio modulation when I am in front of the machine.

After using it now for a few days, here's my mini-review...

First, the good:

The build quality is *excellent*, contrary to the statement above, it seems to be made as well or better than any other high-end synth (Virus, V-Synth). It is heavier than expected. The screen is about the same quality as a color V-Synth (XT or GT). The use of push-button encoders is nicely done (except for one negative point I'll mention later).

The oscillator and filter models sound good. I have never owned or used any of the Arturia softsynths, so I can't compare the quality. Also, I dove in to the Origin without expectations it would really emulate an analog machine. I have (had) an Andromeda and really disliked the A6 filters, and I really don't like a lot of the latest analogs from DSI. Even though they are *real* analog, I think they sound like lab equipment, hopefully that makes sense. The Origin has a nice musical sound and the filters do what I want, screeching resonance and smooth sweeps. The oscillators have a basic sound, but can do some nice detuning and you can really tell the waveforms are "imperfect" when they are tuned very closely together, a good thing!

The effects are basic, but usable, I really am enjoying the chorus, for some reason I never liked chorus effects, but this really adds something to the sound.

The sequencer is cool, but fiddly at times, I get the same feel from it as using the Elektron monomachine sequencer, but the knob/button for each steps makes things a bit more immediate. Dialing in a tune on it is not my idea of fun, it is better thought of as a "modulation sequencer".

The synth knobs are nicely laid out and easy to use considering the modular structure, they feel great.

The multi setups I haven't looked at too much yet, but dedicated effects per patch in a multi makes it similar to the Virus TI in that respect. I don't consider multis that *don't* do it this way as usable, because effects are integral to most of my patches.

The modular structure is good, and easy to construct for the most part. I haven't run into many limitations on what I would normally want to do. The extras on top of a basic patch are really where things start to shine, but these are outside of the modular structure except for the modulation routings. The global LFOs, Galaxy LFOs and the effects can make some wonderful sounds happen.

Now, the bad:

The main select knob (and I read another review that mentioned this) is both a rotary and push encoder, you invariably end up mixing up the sequence and selecting the wrong thing when pushing and turning. It is workable, but fiddly at times.

Some parameters can't be assigned to the mappable knobs. Ones I would especially like to assign are mostly not mappable. I hope things might change in future releases (not counting on it).

The manual is very poor, you can read something and be sitting in front of the machine and still be completely confused from the description. The use of [Knob_name] gets confusing for some reason.

The external PSU... why? I also hear a slight hum in the machine when pushing on the bottom panel.

There aren't many "weird" modules, like switches, logic, envelope followers, etc. I would have thought these would be much easier to implement than audio modules and these are the things that add spice to a modular system. The basics are there, but only the basics.

The effects are not part of the modular structure at all. You can't modulate any of the effects parameters with other modules.

Some of the hardware knob choices are not well chosen. There are a few things I like to tweak in realtime using knobs, but not things like "oscillator waveform" or "filter type" or "LFO waveform"... why do these need to be dedicated knobs? "why separate knob, why?"

The wood sides are basicaly hidden by the somewhat ugly rack ears, why make a tabletop form with wood sides if the rack ears are not removable? ugh.

The screen would have been awesome if it was a touchscreen, I found myself used to the V-Synth and trying to touch things on screen.

So in conclusion, I would say it sits right between a virus TI and a v-synth. It shares some nice features from both machines. The sound is very similar to the V-synth, with a very precise, well-behaved character. I like it much better than the Andromeda because of the sound, and I like it better than a real analog modular because it can save patches.

Oh, one last thing, the patch management is really nice, at first I thought it was gimmicky to have things like the designer's name searchable, but it actually helps and there is also a field to store the project name, so I'll be putting that to use also.

cheers

ripe

• Members

Ripe, thanks!! Great report.

According to the manual, only AM modulation in the oscillator section cannot be modulated by fast modulation sources (e.g. Osc). But I cannot find any comment in the filter section, neither way.

• Members

I asked some stuff on the Arturia forum awhile back...

Can Origin do audio-rate modulation with an oscillator on

a.) Another Oscillator?

Yes when connected to the FM input.

b.) PWM of an oscillator?

No. We're working on that kind of enhancement. Could be added to next release.

c.) Filter Cutoff?

Yes and no.....

You can connect an audio signal to the FM (ie cutoff) input of a Filter but we have to enhance the processing in that case. Could be included in next release (well, wil be added if we have the time :-)

• Members

i'm still interested in this baby though.

i may make a move on a big piece... wondering if it's kind of silly to grab another VA like this when the Virus TI2 is already in the house...

I am kind of excited regarding the Origin. Even there is nothing wrong with the Virus I hope that the Origin will take things a little further. I am looking for:

1.) less aliasing in the oscillator section

2.) more complex and open sound structure

3.) better user interface

A lot of people like the Arturia software and most complains are regarding bugs and authenticity. Now, the Origin was tested from different sources and they gave it a clean bill regarding stability and bug list. Yes, nothing is perfect, but for an instrument that is just released that is kind of impressive. Sure, it is lacking some promised features but what the heck, they will come eventually.

Soundwise the unit is supposed first class and combined that with the complexity I think we have a winner. I guess the price will come down during their Summer Sale too. I will wait and see if I can get one for a decent price, at least in the price range of the Virus TI desktop or so.

And another thought...yes, it is all software, but finally a box that doesn't need a computer and will be useful for many years to come. So far all my investment in software did not pay off for me.

• Members

How about customer support?

I've heard just as many complaints about Arturia's customer support as I've heard about their products.

Can someone who bought an Origin expect the same kind of support Clavia Nord Modular customers got? Or maybe a better level of support, approaching that of Symbolic Sounds or John Bowen?

• Members

How about customer support?

I've heard just as many complaints about Arturia's customer support as I've heard about their products.

word. to this day, i still can't do certain pwm modulations on the prophet V without it killing my soundcard. i asked them on their forum and they said it's coming... long time now. it's been like a year or more.

• Members

Well I have to admit I do like the sound of Arturia's VSTs but always refused to use them due to requiring a damned dongle. When this was announced it did interest me, and the premise behind it is pretty cool. Everyone who has actually played one says it sounds just phenomenal.

So today I pulled the trigger and ordered one of these. I'll be sure to give my thoughts once I receive the bugger and give it a test drive.

• Members

actually come to think of it, support for this thing should probably be pretty good, cuz this is now their new baby, and they want it to do well.

i wonder if it would be wise to pick this up or an analog of similar value...

• Members

Well I have to admit I do like the sound of Arturia's VSTs but always refused to use them due to requiring a damned dongle.

Not to mention being surprisingly greedy when it comes to system resources. I loved the sound though. Can't wait to hear it man! :thu:

I really hope more big name soft synth companies make the leap and do this. Can you imagine NI doing one for Absynth or Reaktor or even Massive? I would dance in place for 24 hours after hearing it. As is I don't really use Absynth or most of my soft synths because of a lack of tactile interface and ease of programming. I love gear, not hypothetical gear. Origin is a great idea!

• Members

actually come to think of it, support for this thing should probably be pretty good, cuz this is now their new baby, and they want it to do well.

i wonder if it would be wise to pick this up or an analog of similar value...

Well they have announced a new update coming soon which includes the CS-80 and Jupiter 8 templates along with a Tonewheel module and Leslie simulator. Sounds like a good update assuming it comes out on time (or at all.)

A lot of these companies could learn a lot from Access and how each year they add something phenomenal to the Virus.

• Members
Not to mention being surprisingly greedy when it comes to system resources. I loved the sound though. Can't wait to hear it man!
:thu:

I really hope more big name soft synth companies make the leap and do this. Can you imagine NI doing one for Absynth or Reaktor or even Massive? I would dance in place for 24 hours after hearing it. As is I don't really use Absynth or most of my soft synths because of a lack of tactile interface and ease of programming. I love gear, not hypothetical gear. Origin is a great idea!

No one can deny how great software is. However I agree, the lack of a tactile interface just causes it to come across as just another software application and not an instrument.

I've always dreamed of Yamaha releasing a knob laden desktop DX module with the Motif's FX engine.

• Members

Well they have announced a new update coming soon which includes the CS-80 and Jupiter 8 templates along with a Tonewheel module and Leslie simulator. Sounds like a good update assuming it comes out on time (or at all.)

A lot of these companies could learn a lot from Access and how each year they add something phenomenal to the Virus.

I think the two templates will be delivered Q4 this year whereas the tonewheel and some other goodies should be released very soon.

• Members

I think the two templates will be delivered Q4 this year whereas the tonewheel and some other goodies should be released very soon.

Awesome.The tonewheel and leslie is what I am really looking forward to. The templates are a cool gimmick, but they aren't what I bought this for. It'll be cool to have them nevertheless.

BTW what happened to the Prophet 5 oscillators and filters? They aren't listed in the manual. I was guessing that the generic Origin oscillators and filters were based off the Prophet? Does Arturia not have the rights to use the Prophet name for hardware because the Prophet VS oscillators are just referred to as generic wavetables?

Archived