Arturia Origin: Anybody buy/play it?

Palaver

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if i use a pulse wave to audio rate fm either cutoff with resonance cranked or the pwm of another osc, will this origin make unwanted loud pops subsequently followed by arturia support staff telling me that my unit doesn't have enough ram or cpu to power the superb tae emulation? alright my bad, that was kinda negative. i AM curious about this thing, i'd love to try it out. it's not 24/96 anymore though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Ho-hum.

While there was some interesting stuff shown in the review, the whole package still doesn't add up to $3K for me.

I did find it very odd that despite all the stuff loaded in, when the patch browser was called up the only synth shown was the Mini. While you can build up the others by hand obviously, why did they leave out presets for all the other built-in softsynths?

• Members

Ho-hum.

While there was some interesting stuff shown in the review, the whole package still doesn't add up to $3K for me.

I did find it
very
odd that despite all the stuff loaded in, when the patch browser was called up the only synth shown was the Mini. While you can build up the others by hand obviously, why did they leave out presets for all the other built-in softsynths?

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=ce93df33103802ab4f386e7cf2b752a0&topic=2597.0

As I understand it, origin was made to be original. If user demand (potential buyers) want lots of templates, no doubt they will respond. Early days.

• Members

If anybody buys a synth HOPING for features and models to be implemented later, you're probably in for a lot of disappointment ...

If it doesn't do what you want it to now, you shouldn't get it unless you have $$$ to throw around ...

IMO, $3K is way too much for this thing ... But maybe Arturia is just planning on milking that first wave that always has to be the first on the block ... Except for the resentment it may cause

• Members
How about reducing the total cost of the synth by $250 for each softy not loaded. That's what the box versions cost.
:thu:

You aren't buying straight up versions of each softy though are you.
You're buying modularized components with independent patching into each other of each softy which is something different altogether. :idea:

• Members
You aren't buying straight up versions of each softy though are you.

You're buying modularized components with independent patching into each other of each softy which is something different altogether.
:idea:

I thought you were with the patching working like the Plug-in FX versions of the synths themselves. I didn't think it was anything different that someone couldn't do on a software DAW using routing and side chaining. :idk:

Well, save the dedicated hardware.

• Members

If anybody buys a synth HOPING for features and models to be implemented later, you're probably in for a lot of disappointment ...

Learned that lesson with my Nord Modular G2. Sold it, and several years later bought my G2X, after what turned me off the G2 didn't matter so much to me anymore, plus the sale price was nice. I'll stop using my G2X the day it suddenly stops functioning for good.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I think it looks promising but only if they update it with some real digital goodies. I don't think there's any FM, granular, wavetables, etc.

Does it have powerful, good sounding effects for every part like the Virus TI?

If they want to offer the Origin at that price they've got some stiff competition from Access, Nord, Roland, Waldorf and the like. Even the Radias is a decent option in this economic climate.

• Members

I only read good critics so far. Also the interface got some good comments. Supposedly all modules are reworked, thus the delay of the Origin, and the quality of the sound is supposed to be great. Everybody loves the internal sequencer too.

I think it looks promising but only if they update it with some real digital goodies. I don't think there's any FM, granular, wavetables, etc.

Does it have powerful, good sounding effects for every part like the Virus TI?

If they want to offer the Origin at that price they've got some stiff competition from Access, Nord, Roland, Waldorf and the like. Even the Radias is a decent option in this economic climate.

I personally think that the Nord G2 and Browns Solaris are the only competitors. Access is still working on their third envelope and for Roland this would be a boutique item.

• 2 months later...

Archived