i've never had two at the same time before...

Raskolnikovs axe

• Members

I played around with 7 yesterday when I was setting up my sister's new laptop.

I'm a hardcore mac user and I have to admit that it's really awesome. I don't know about processing power or anything but as a basic workstation for her needs (she's a teacher), it's amazing. Better then OSX even.

Really simple UI. Yes, it's a shock when the last windows you've used is XP but it's just sooo intuitive now and great for first time pc users like my mom or non-geeks like my sister.

The way you can set it up is really easy too. Right now, I've set everything so that she doesn't get any pop-ups about updates or virus scan activity or anything. In earlier windows version, you had to set up those thing in the program itself but now it's controlled by the OS. Updates download and install completely silent and she's never asked to reboot because I've set it so the updates install automatically when the pc shuts down. Only thing that gives a warning is when she want's to install a new app or a plugin. She's one of those people who freaks out when something appears out of the blue on her screen while she's working so that's an amazing new feature.

The new menu bar is VERY OSX like. You can snap your most used apps to the bar and they're always there, only the logo. A bit like quick launch but cooler because all your app windows no longer clutter up your menu bar. They're all hidden "behind" the logo so when you hover over it, it shows a quick preview of all the windows that are open in the app.

And yeah, it's insanely fast. Booted up in less then a minute and you can start working immediately. Really really cool

Overall I think it's a way better user experience than Vista or XP, and even OSX. It's fast, accessible and really easy to learn. I'm a hardcore Apple fan and it really hurts for me to say this, but I think Microsoft did an amazing job.

edit: Memory usage when in idle mode is 28 percent with 3GB of ram.

• Members

I haven't tried it with Logic open yet, but so far all of my less strenuous activities aren't affected at all. I installed Parallels, which took like 5 minutes, then put the windows 7 installer to work in a background window while i browsed the web and it was WAY faster than I remember XP installing. Wasn't too expensive either - I got Windows 7 Professional and Parallels at the store at my University for a total of about $210. I mainly got it to run Pspice (a circuit simulation program we use at school) so I haven't done anything very processor intensive in the Windows environment yet.

One super cool aspect of using Parallels is that after Windows 7 was installed, it needed to download the latest updates from Microsoft and reboot a few times - which it did, in a window, while I was doing other stuff.

• Members

Very cool man. I'm a huge Mac fan and have just recently started using Win 7 on a couple of my friends machines. I'm mainly a video editor who uses Adobe CS4 and FCP, but I really miss using Sony Vegas. For me, that's the only thing I really use on windows that isn't mac supported.

Not only does Vegas do a pretty good job on videos, but in a pinch it does a pretty good job of being a DAW as well. Even though I mainly use either Logic or Reaper, Vegas is just too much fun to use.

Very cool man. I'm a huge Mac fan and have just recently started using Win 7 on a couple of my friends machines. I'm mainly a video editor who uses Adobe CS4 and FCP, but I really miss using Sony Vegas. For me, that's the only thing I really use on windows that isn't mac supported.

Not only does Vegas do a pretty good job on videos, but in a pinch it does a pretty good job of being a DAW as well. Even though I mainly use either Logic or Reaper, Vegas is just too much fun to use.

I was going to mention Vegas, Sound Forge and CD Architect - all of which are not available on OSX, and all of which I couldn't live without. :phil:

Archived