Tell me about p-90's and lipstick pickups...

devi

• Members
Now, back to the pickups...

Devi: P90's + Filtertron is my vote. Or a "hot" lipstick plus a weakly wound P90. Otherwise, their level differences will drive you crazy.
:wave:

Eh. That's half-assing it if you ask me. Just my opinion, but I think that erksin was on point with his idea of lowering the p90's position to the strings.

Half the charm of the lipsticks is that they're lower output and that they don't react the same way to your dirt section like a hotter wound pickup. Adding a nice dirty boost to them is awesome, and with a hot wound lipstick pickup, you just don't really have that same magic.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have a backwards version of this, kinda of, in my tele build... light blue one in back

hss0le.jpg

Ha ha. That's sick. Love it. :)

Half the charm of the lipsticks is that they're lower output and that they don't react the same way to your dirt section like a hotter wound pickup. Adding a nice dirty boost to them is awesome, and with a hot wound lipstick pickup, you just don't really have that same magic.

Word. That's why I think I'm ultimately sticking with tried and true and just dealing with the quirks.

Am buying the pickguard and sussing out the pickups right now. Will post again when I get it all put together! :)

• Members

Hey Devi, i like this idea of yours, but I've personally always loved the p90 in the neck position (nice wide-range clean and chewy dirty sound) and I think lipsticks work very well in the bridge position. Maybe you should switch the positions of the two of them, or go a three pickup route with the lipstick inserted just below a neck p90 and then another p90 in the bridge?

(Or go totally nuts and use four pickups with another lipstick super close to the bridge?)

I know, it sounds crazy, but that would be one badass guitar (especially if you turn them all on in series and get mega hum along with mega awesomeness).

Actually, parallel postions with this combo would be really interesting too.

If you go for a two pickup setup, make sure you wire it with a 4 position tele wiring so you get both parallel and series options :)

My Barncaster(Tele made of barn wood from the 1800s) has that sort of pickup selector and having the series option is just amazing.

• Members
Ha ha. That's sick. Love it.
:)

Word. That's why I think I'm ultimately sticking with tried and true and just dealing with the quirks.

Am buying the pickguard and sussing out the pickups right now. Will post again when I get it all put together!
:)

GFS makes strat sized lipsticks :thu: I like 'em.

Archived