Tell me about p-90's and lipstick pickups...

devi

• Members

Am considering doing this weird thing with my strat... lipstick at the neck, p-90's at the bridge... kinda a strange blues / rock dirty thrashy guitar.

Was considering getting one of those fancy "humless" p-90's, but I really enjoy the tone and would hate for the love to be killed by engineering marvels such as hum-removal or whatever.

So started looking around and there seems to me so many variations... humbucker sized... various "vintage-style" blah blah blah.

At the end of the day it -would- be nice to not have to deal with hum, so I might be down.

Also, it's been a long long long long while since I've played a lipstick, but when I did, I remember it was on a tele and I totally loved the jangly sound of the little {censored}er.

... once again, would love to avoid hum, but not over tone.

Anyhow... I know a lot of you are going to :freak: over this, but in case you were curious this is what the bastard strat will look like (still not 100% on the pickguard and color honestly... if you want to throw in your two cents I wouldn't mind)....

58721_155189131173435_134840533208295_43

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lipstick pickups give you that jangly sound. It's not thick, but it's not quite thin, either.

I have a strat with a GFS set in them, and it's strat meets dano sound. I also have a Danelectro Convertible (full hollow with a lipstick in the soundhole), and it's definitely a unique sound. Kinda trashy, too.

• Members

Good point.

i've only played Danos (old and new), SD-designed, and GFSs.

i've not A/Bd the GFS with a real Dano but it's good enough for me and what i have on my main guitar--a Charvel Surfcaster. the SD-designed are too sterile IMO--probably because of the ceramic magnet. GFS does make 3 models with different resistances for neck, middle and bridge so you might want to get the bridge to match the p90.

• Members

yup, a new mij. they made them again over there with the specs i wanted so had it shipped via rakuten. all-time favorite guitar!

MooreStTour16.jpg

ooh a surfcaster, mij one? post a pic please. they are lovely.

theres a SC body hanging in a shop near my place. they have no idea what to do with it

• Members

p90s are like mini humbucker and depend on the gtr theyre with like evry pickup really.

are you kind of supposed to know this kind of stuff, you make pedals!

zvex knows all kinds of stuff about gtrs/amps/whathaveyou.

You do realize you're acting like a child, right? And hopefully you also realize you're a huge ongoing joke to everybody on this forum. :facepalm:

• Members

You do realize you're acting like a child, right? And hopefully you also realize you're a huge ongoing joke to everybody on this forum.
:facepalm:

lol... it took me a while to realize what the hell you were talking about...

I have seif on "total ignore" using a greasemonkey script so it looks like this to me whenever someone quotes him

xBv4A.png

... and his posts... totally deleted. :thu:

Anyhow... thanks again everyone for the good info! Keep it comin' !!! :thu:

• Members

IMO devi, the lipstick will give you a tone similar to a strat but with a little more "quack?" its the same kind of plunky clean tone. I happen to like them for clean tones, specially downtuned.

As far as p90s, I've never met a set I loved, but I think thats the noise, and not the tone.

Word on the "quack" really love that sound... and yeah, I'm beginning to think I might not be all about the noise... I dunno... I have Pumpkin Piece's old epi jr. with a p-90... so maybe I'll jam with that a while and decide.

Wait a second... can I put a lipstick in a stock jr. (don't wanna buy routing tools) ???

• Members

you'll need a hotter lipstick to balance the p90's balls

This - Lipsticks are typically quite low output (under 5k, often as low as 3k), a bridge P-90 will likely be 7k minimum.

I personally would want a little more growl and go with a Filtertron or something - it would balance better wit hthe P-90 IMO.

• Members

lol... it took me a while to realize what the hell you were talking about...

I have seif on "total ignore" using a greasemonkey script so it looks like this to me whenever someone quotes him

xBv4A.png

... and his posts... totally deleted.
:thu:

Anyhow... thanks again everyone for the good info! Keep it comin' !!!
:thu:

:lol: :lol:

I've heard alot of p90s i've liked, so dont let me scare you off from them, I just couldn't deal with the noise. I like noise when I want it to be there, something I can turn on and off, not just noise all the time. Ya know?

• Members

p90s are like mini humbucker and depend on the gtr theyre with like evry pickup really.

are you kind of supposed to know this kind of stuff, you make pedals!

zvex knows all kinds of stuff about gtrs/amps/whathaveyou.

P-90s don't sound at all like mini-hums.

Second comment is quite dickish - you should apologize. ;)

• Members

This - Lipsticks are typically quite low output (under 5k, often as low as 3k), a bridge P-90 will likely be 7k minimum.

I personally would want a little more growl and go with a Filtertron or something - it would balance better wit hthe P-90 IMO.

This is a great suggestion... a Filtertron would be AWESOME

• Members

Word on the "quack" really love that sound... and yeah, I'm beginning to think I might not be all about the noise... I dunno... I have Pumpkin Piece's old epi jr. with a p-90... so maybe I'll jam with that a while and decide.

Wait a second... can I put a lipstick in a stock jr. (don't wanna buy routing tools) ???

I wouldn't call it 'quack' - clean they have a really hollow, acoustic quality to them. Listen to the intro of Led Zeppelin's 'Ten Years Gone' - that's a Dano.

{censored}ty sound quality is {censored}ty - sorry:

[YOUTUBE]jYpydtdlWxA?fs[/YOUTUBE]

If you're pushing an amp with them, they have a really nasal honk - almost the exact opposite of how they sound clean. It's really weird.

• Members

This is pretty much THE Dano demo, IMO. Listen to how the tone changes from airy and acoustic sounding to total honk just based on how hard he hits the strings:

[YOUTUBE]wrvfMSYNqBg?fs[/YOUTUBE]

This is pretty great too:

[YOUTUBE]Z4Sxxy0ynXk?fs[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

See... I think it'd be great to have a tone like that which would severely offset the p90's sound... all in one guitar... plus I'd imagine the combination of both pups would be brilliant! :love:

Sooo... a lipstick and p90 from novack then?

• Members

See... I think it'd be great to have a tone like that which would severely offset the p90's sound... all in one guitar... plus I'd imagine the combination of both pups would be brilliant!
:love:

Sooo... a lipstick and p90 from novack then?

As long as you're cool with the dramatic differences in output, then by all means go for it. With my Dano, I typically compensate by running a Comp with the output maxed to bring it up to the level of my other guitars.

It's a VERY cool sound, absolutely. :thu:

Archived