V-Synth v1.0 vs. 2.0 discussion

Diametro

• Members

a) what a lovely synth

b) version 1 has some really great sounds ... and I don't understand the somewhat common, I think, perception that V1 only has lots of weird sounds and not many "playable" patches ...

EDIT: I'm actually coming back to that perception ...

... the only thing that's really missing compared with version two is the plethora of great drum kits and a general greater abundance of patches ...

... tough call ... the only really logical solution is STACKEMONUP!!! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be catching another one for $600 ... XT prices have been annoyingly firm ...

EDIT: I snagged an XT for $650 ... Side by side I'd have v1 and v2 soundsets in use ... But I separated them, and now both have v2 ... More usable imo ...

• Members

that's really missing compared with version two is the plethora of great drum kits

You bought a V-Synth to have great drum kits?

:facepalm:

I thought you said you're interested in production. Drums take minimum 4 mixer channels - thus require 4 outputs out of the device. You don't want to spend V-Synths outputs on that. Neither you want to mix drums and synths inside a V-Synth together unless you want your songs to sound like General Midi tunes.

You want your drums (minus kick) in a separate group on which you will apply compression before entering the mix. Synth on the other hand needs its own eq and some sidechain compression. You can't do these things inside V-synth.

• Members

You don't want to spend V-Synths outputs on that.

you want your songs to sound like General Midi tunes.

You want your drums (minus kick) in a separate group on which you will apply compression before entering the mix..

You didnt wanna....

You wanted a misty buff, thats what you wanted....

harryenfield.jpg

• Members

Don clearly knows more than all of us. I, personally, have noticed that his production value is "off the charts". His assessments are meticulous, like that of a highly trained scientist.

He has given the VSynth a "no go" on the drums, D. Perhaps you should listen to what he says, and ask for his advice on what would be the best hardware for drums. I know I, personally, will await his response with baited breath.

• Members

a) what a lovely synth

b) version 1 has some really great sounds ... and I don't understand the somewhat common, I think, perception that V1 only has lots of weird sounds and not many "playable" patches ...

You can have version 2 OS but load in all the version 1 sounds...that's what I did because I had created a ton of my own patches that relied on the earlier sampleset. :thu:

It really is a lovely synth. :love:

• Members

I'm using V2.0 OS in both V-Synths. One has the VC-2 Vocal designer. The second has V1.0 patches and samples on a PCMCIA Compact Flash card. I am still much more familiar with the V2.0 patch/samples than the V1.0 patch/samples.

I'm running the midi clock master from a Fantom X8 to both V-Synths to tempo lock the arps and delays. The Fantom X8 poly count really shines on acoustic and electric piano patches. The Fantom X8 is my drum source.

I've been using my JP-8000 this past week. It really reminds me of some of the V-Synth sounds. The feedback osc and Moog bass/leads are some examples.

The V-Synth offers much more flexibility. Examples like the nylon PCM sample generate some great V-patches. The V-Synth build quality is very solid. I hope the display will survive for 20 years.

Mark

• Members

You bought a V-Synth to have great drum kits?

:facepalm:

I thought you said you're interested in production. Drums take minimum 4 mixer channels - thus require 4 outputs out of the device. You don't want to spend V-Synths outputs on that. Neither you want to mix drums and synths inside a V-Synth together unless you want your songs to sound like General Midi tunes.

You want your drums (minus kick) in a separate group on which you will apply compression before entering the mix. Synth on the other hand needs its own eq and some sidechain compression. You can't do these things inside V-synth.

Uhm... I think you're missing Joe's point, Don... he was only comparing the two versions of software - V2 has the (extremely electronic/glitchy, not pop/rock/trance/reggae what have you) drum sets he was talking about, and the pseudo-sequencer to make them go "bang". He never said that he bought the V-Synth to have great drum kits

However, you can get really great drums on the V-Synth, especially if you treat them with the COSM effects

• Members

You're right about drum synths needing multiple outputs ... and Paolo's right, too ... I was only trying to differentiate v1 and v2 ... but yes, I think they are terrific ...

and I wouldn't hesitate to import a drum loop from elsewhere and mangle on the V it as a special effect during a break or a transition in a track ...

Carbon, I have had v1.0 soundset and OS2.0 installed for a couple of weeks now ...

• Members

i love my vsynth (v2), but i would say that the drum department is pretty lacking

i do load my own drum patterns into it, and use the time trip pad and dbeams for control, but i think the internal drum sounds blow

• Members

I have been using the V1.0 patches for the past few days. Vacation is good.

The V1.0 patch set contains a "JD Piano" patch that is really quite unique. It offers a good enough grand piano patch to use in a band envronment. This patch seems to be unusual. Very few parameters can be edited. However, with a hold pedal, the piano is fully passable.

V2.0 does not have a grand piano patch.

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sorry to revive this thread but I have a question. Please excuse my noobness.

I have a V-Synth ver 2 with the corresponding soundset. If I wanted to get the version 1 stuff to use as well, it was said that I would need a 2G compact flash card and a PCMCIA to CF adapter for storage. Would I just use USB to drag the older version over or is it necessary to "back up" the soundset from the V and then install the other soundset?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Make a new folder for the V1.0 soundset and then load that new project.

I've got several (maybe 10) projects on my CF card. It always boots to the last project file that I had selected.

By the way, several more weeks with V1.0 patches on the second V-Synth and I really like several of the patches. "Wave Ripper" come to mind as one of my favorite.

I'm not in front of my keyboard rig right now. Let me know if you need more help.

Mark

• Members

I just ordered one of those PCMCIA to CF adapters on eBay for $6.37. It will probably be on the slow boat from China but when I get it I will try out what you told me.

I might actually move all of my patches to the card to free up space for programming, or just keep the version 1 patches on board. I have been listening to them at Synth Zone and they suit my style more than the version 2 patches, which are far too hip hop for me. I'm more of a Stockhausen kind of guy.

• Members

I just ordered one of those PCMCIA to CF adapters on eBay for $6.37. It will probably be on the slow boat from China but when I get it I will try out what you told me.

I might actually move all of my patches to the card to free up space for programming, or just keep the version 1 patches on board. I have been listening to them at Synth Zone and they suit my style more than the version 2 patches, which are far too hip hop for me. I'm more of a Stockhausen kind of guy.

Hip Hop?? Stockhausen? I think the difference between V.1 and V.2 is more like Ethnic Soundtrack vs. The Fair of Supersaw

Go to synthmania to listen to demos instead of synthzone.... synthmania runs circles around synthzone :D

• Members

Hip Hop?? Stockhausen? I think the difference between V.1 and V.2 is more like Ethnic Soundtrack vs. The Fair of Supersaw

Go to synthmania to listen to demos instead of synthzone.... synthmania runs circles around synthzone
:D

BTW, I discourage people to go to the webpage above. It gave me instant GAS and when I click through more of these sounds I can imagine the GAS turns into EPS (empty pocket syndrome).

;)

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Having had V2 on XT and V1 on V-Synth, I think I prefer v2.

To the point where I think v1 will go the way of V2 on keyboard ...

V2 is just so much more usable ... almost a workstation-like palette but with enough of the experimental sounds still in there for inspiration ...

'Cause V-Synth is really about sampling ... I've had some good results with it ...

But frankly the presets are pretty darn good, and programming on either is pretty easy ...

Touchscreen seems to be working better on XT or I'm just getting more used to working with it ...

Actually like the muted beep that's standard on XT as opposed to the horrifying one on keyboard ...

Still have quite a journey left discovering these two in tandem and with the various soundsets ...

It would be interesting if somebody released a synth/orchestral/vox focused soundset ... I think it could be very expressive even on XT with its D-Beamless interface ... which I think was a mistake ...

Archived