V-Synth v1.0 vs. 2.0 discussion

Diametro

• Members

Having had V2 on XT and V1 on V-Synth, I think I prefer v2.

To the point where I think v1 will go the way of V2 on keyboard ...

V2 is just so much more usable ... almost a workstation-like palette but with enough of the experimental sounds still in there for inspiration ...

'Cause V-Synth is really about sampling ... I've had some good results with it ...

But frankly the presets are pretty darn good, and programming on either is pretty easy ...

Touchscreen seems to be working better on XT or I'm just getting more used to working with it ...

Actually like the muted beep that's standard on XT as opposed to the horrifying one on keyboard ...

Still have quite a journey left discovering these two in tandem and with the various soundsets ...

It would be interesting if somebody released a synth/orchestral/vox focused soundset ... I think it could be very expressive even on XT with its D-Beamless interface ... which I think was a mistake ...

Hi Big D,

you do know, right, that the "beep" can be muted on the keyboard version as well?

I am actually thinking about developing a sound set for the V-Synth... but like you say, the sounds on ver.2 are really good to boot.

• Members

Hi Big D,

you do know, right, that the "beep" can be muted on the keyboard version as well?

I am actually thinking about developing a sound set for the V-Synth... but like you say, the sounds on ver.2 are really good to boot.

You should ... Are there many additional soundsets for V-Synth ... ???

the BEEP ... yeah ... it can be switched off ... I'm just saying I actually like the beep on XT ...

V1 and V2 soundsets can be used together ... ???

How do you manage moving the patches ... ???

I haven't done much with custom soundsets yet ...

NO MORE LONGFRITZTING ... I'd better get into the studio and get to work ... The first of at least 10-15 shows starts NEXT WEDNESDAY ... :eek: I am soooo not ready yet ... Know two of eight songs ...

• Members

If you're talking about original V-Synth, V1.0 has more samples, and a more varied list of samples -- including a bigger selection of multi-samples -- than V2.0. V2.0 updated the synth to make it easier to use for an audience looking for more conventional synth and VA sounds, along with an easier, "instant" programming interface.

If you're talking about V-Synth GT, there's less of a gap between v1.0 and v2.0, and you can load either from startup, along with the "analogue collection" set Roland released prior to V2.0, really quite flexible. V2.0 is really an improvement over V1.0 rather than just a style change in the patch and sample set; Roland handled the update much more thoroughly for V-Synth GT than they did for V-Synth.

The other BIG thing about the original V-Synth though is that with the Vocoder and D-50 PCMCIA card add-ons, you really get a different synth interface along with the related sounds and control assignments. I really liked the way Roland did that, especially with the D-50, and there are things to like about the vocoder card over the vocoding capabilities even of the updated V-Synth GT, like the ability to use onboard sounds as both carrier and modulator.

• Members

Here's something weird ... The D-50 card on XT does not use the X-Y pad though V-Synth orig does ... (even says so in the XT manual ... )

Strange what you say about Version 1 soundset ... I find V2 so much more useable ... to the point I think I'm going to load up V2 again on V-Synth original ...

I've had V1 up on V-Synth original for a couple of weeks now and it's just not grabbing me ...

Not disputing you, but it seems hard to believe V1 uses more samples and "multisamples" -- I thought V-Synth didn't use those ... ??? -- since there are so many fewer patches and even what's there is less usable ... (I'm also not really in sound design mode right now ... more straight-ahead playing atm ... )

Of course, it's not very hard at all to swap out soundsets ...

It's all good, of course ... V-Synth love very strong here ...

In fact, loving the XT so much with Fantom X ... I could really manage just with those two (and my 'Tribes ... )

Sadly, analogs have really been negelected lately ... but part of that is I haven't been recording much, either ... getting ready for upcoming shows ...

speaking of which ... adios, muchachas ...

• Members

Diametro, yeah, the v2 soundset patches are far more generally useable "out of the box" (and I'm including tweaking with them, not just playing them) than v1 for most music-making; just, if you're talking about sheer quantitative sample variety which you want to OCD-edit-resample-mess-with-for-weirdness, v1 sample/patch-set has "more."

If you have and look in the printed waveform list for v1 included with the original manual set (now we're really getting anorak! ), you'll see waves 248-288 are listed as "Multisample Waves." Their main value, I think, is for the Rhodes and Wurly multisamples which, what're ya gonna do with on a V-Synth, really? in terms of editing weirdness? not a lot -- but Roland old-school guys probably included them for completeness from the vast Roland sample collecting they did back in the day. They take up a lot of space and aren't what the V-Synth is all about, but if you want to play a Wurly multi-sample backwards with the time-trip pad, it's there for you in v1, is all.

• Members

Do you guys think the V-synth (original) is a solid replacement for the JX-8p?

They are different things (a hybrid analog and a VA synth) but the V-Synth is definitely much more powerful and versatile than the JX-8P

So even though the V-Synth is not going to replace the analog feel of the JX-8P per se, it definitely surpasses it by far in terms of sonic capabilities

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hm... To me anyway sound set 1 sucked. Not sure why you would keep it. Also it's a synth you should be programming and sampling not playing presets. I'd like an XT to go with my v but the XT has to many issues.

• Members

V-Synth is a terrific synth for "just playing presets" since it has so many performance controllers ... and the presets imo are pretty terrific ...

I'll tweak/program ... but I don't waste time re-inventing the wheel if what I need is already at hand ...

If I really feel like programming, I usually head for the JP-6/Ju-60 combo ... No menus and programming is rewarded with ANALOG changes in timbre ...

I love the V-Synth, but I'm not always crazy about the way it sounds DURING the programming process if you know what I mean ... With JP-6/Ju-6 getting there IS a big part of the fun/sonic reward ...

• Members

I'm looking to do the same thing... acquire a V-Synth to control and blend with the XT I have. I've been using other controllers... I think it would make a great mix and well... I don't have $2500 for the GT.

BTW... if you are reading this want to sell/trade your original V-Synth, give me a shout!:thu:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived