Volume Box

denimboy

• Members

Can anyone recommend me a good volume box to use with a Fender HRD 2x12. Can I find a good one for less than a 150$?

Should I build one? If so where can I find the schems?

Thanks and sorry if this has been discussed or wrong forum.. I haven't post in here in a while and there is no search tool.

• Members

I assume you're referring to one of those volume control boxes that plugs into the loop on your HRD and not an attenuator. Here's a link to the Carl's Custom Volume Box that's been on eBay for years:

http://www.carlscustomguitars.com/product.sc?productId=1

And here's how to build one. It's dead simple. I've seen people build them into Altoids tins.

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/newland/2081/id3.htm

• Members

Yeah, it's just a single pot that basically replaces the linear taper MV pot with an audio taper pot. You won't get overdriven power tube tone with it, but you can crank the front end.

If you want to crank the output tubes, you'll need an attenuator. But attenuators work best with small amounts of attenuation in a gig situation, not cranking up an amp to full and attenuating it to bedroom levels. I'm not really a fan of using them, but some are.

Due to your budget constraints, I'd either check out the Weber attenuators or build an Air Brake. You can find layouts and part lists for the Air Brake and other attenuators over in the Trainwreck Files section of The Amp Garage Forums.

• Members

My volume knobs never go above 3 because Im too loud then and my tone feels a little weak with this low input. I'm not looking to get intensive tube distortion. I just want to bring up the tube warmth without bleeding my ears and overkill everyone in my practice room (which is quite small for a band).

I will try the volume box since I have all the parts available but an attenuator looks more like what I need. Will look further into it.

• Members
My volume knobs never go above 3 because Im too loud then and my tone feels a little weak with this low input. I'm not looking to get intensive tube distortion. I just want to bring up the tube warmth without bleeding my ears and overkill everyone in my practice room (which is quite small for a band).

I will try the volume box since I have all the parts available but an attenuator looks more like what I need. Will look further into it.

your tubes don't know what number your volume pot is on. They only respond to how much signal you feed them.

Archived