Some info on Alesis Fusion Please

born2die75

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B2D75,

1)It's kind of hard for me to answer these question because everything is subjective and opinionated but here it goes.

1)I like the feel and weight of the keys because they're not too heavy but nowhere near as light as non-weighted keys. So it really depends on whether you just have to have the feel of real weighted keys. I can live without it because after playing a while I can't tell the difference.

2)I was initially disappointed in the acoustic sounds. Especially the guitars because they didn't sounds real enough to me. I'm not too impressed with the sax sounds either but I'm not really the one to ask this because I NEVER use sax sounds from a keyboard on my songs. And of course piano's are a personal preference of taste. I like the acoustic pianos on the Fusion and I don't have any problems using them at all in my songs. Other than a Kurzweil I've never read where 99% of the user love the piano sounds of the keyboards. But, I like them very much on my Fusion.

3)There are plenty of pre-programmed drum loops to jam to. They're called ARP's and there are different ways of using them to jam along to. I guess them main modes are in SONG mode, MIX mode and..... I feel like I'm missing one here. Plus you can always make on own ARP's but there really are plenty of them.

4)Hmm.... Upgrade from the Juno-G? Well, the depends on how you look at it. You'll have 8 audio tracks to record to but with no time stretching and the copy and paste functions are not spot-on like it is if you turn on repeat from measure X to XX. When I copy and paste I have hiccuping issues so to speak. But if I just turn on the repeat function from measure x to xx I have no hiccups and everything is smooth and flawless. I know the Juno-G has more storage memory and for less money I think. Some have had issues with their Fusions and some have not. I'm on my second Fusion because I like it that much and they were going for a steel when I bought the second one. I sold my 6HD to buy my 8HD. That's the deal I made with my wife. The Fusion is not perfect but I would still choose it over the Juno-G because of the hidden potential is has which has been brought to light when I downloaded the free sounds from Hollow Sun and KPR's free sounds. I never knew the Fusion could sounds the way it does in the right hands. All of the sounds I mentioned earlier about liking and not liking are from the STOCK ROM. The stock sounds on the Fusion are very RETRO. It seems like the pulled the sounds from a 90's keyboard and put them in here. That's not what I was expecting. But the free downloads for the Fusion bring the keyboard to life. That's why I'd choose it over the Juno-G. Plus the sound editing is very deep. I'm not a sounds designer but it's nice the know that could if I wanted to. I've never been a fan of Roland sounds. Nothing against them but they don't do anything for me. Yamaha and Kurzweil are my favorites as stock sounds go. Korg has amazed me with the technology they put into keyboards. Specifically the KARMA function. Reliability issues? I haven't had any since I've upgraded my memory. It runs a lot faster and smoother now. So, I'd recommend the memory upgrade ASAP if you can. Mine ran fine without it but it runs better with it. Some have various problems with their Fusions like the screen dying but I heard the same for the Juno-G, or the heating issues that some have with their 6HD's. I never had that problem with mine. I surely wouldn't have bought another Fusion if I was having major issues with my first one. If the Fusion you're looking at is new then you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure you ask a lot of questions and check out the user forums before you go playing around with the contents of the hard drive. I'm not trying to lure you into the Fusion Zone or away from it I just want you to be aware of MY experiences with MY Fusion 8HD and 6HD while I had it. It's an awesome board, just don't expect perfection. Good luck.

http://fusioneer.proboards102.com/index.cgi

http://promusicproducts.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php?sid=97d1eda3b0a7ac8c073eab95be8ee3f8

• Members

I've never had a Juno-G or even played one.

But the piano on the Fusion will trump the piano on the Triton, for sure.

As far as the acoustic sounds you mention, the free Hollow Sun sounds are good but they are what they are - one sample for electric, one for acoustic. But they're very good samples.

Right now what the Fusion lacks is a good real Rhodes sound (right now you're better off building one combining VA and FM, in fact that's what I want to do once I have some time). And orchestral sounds as the ones in it aren't bad for the most part but they are a bit vintage 90's sounding (which the Triton also is if you ask me...)

The cool thing for the Fusion is that you can hunt down sounds and install them on the hard drive. Anything with .wav files, soundfonts or Akai format can be converted with the free converter program that Alesis provides on their site. Of course, you have to keep in mind that you need to use samples that will fit in the internal memory.

Finally, the keyboard action on the 8HD should be perfect for you. It is a piano action, but it's very light, so your injured hands will probably thank you.

• Members

I would probably sell my fusion for a motif. I just don't have the money to do it u_u

If you want acoustic sounds, motif all the way. If you like to tweak and want more synth-orientated stuff, the fusion would be a better choice.

• Members

I'm not selling my Fusion for a Motif.

That would be like... downgrading for more money.

No thanks.

You're irrelevant.

The OP started talking about a Motif, described that he wants everything a Motif does, and then started bringing other keyboards into the discussion because of money.

He wants a Motif. A Fusion is not a Motif. A Fusion compromises quality and stability so that it can do EVERYTHING.

A Motif does a few things exceptionally well and those are the very things the OP wants in his purchase.

So, sir, your opinions have no bearing in the matter.

Thanks though.

• Members

I'm going to restrict myself to answering the question I have a credible opinion on (I own a 6hd).

3) Are there any preprogrammed drum loop's in there to jam along to or do I need to go hunting through wav files to make my own.

There are a number of kits; they are assigned to arp patterns which you can switch. There are a number of mixes with latched drumkits you can go with.

• Members

You're irrelevant.

The OP started talking about a Motif, described that he wants everything a Motif does, and then started bringing other keyboards into the discussion because of money.

He wants a Motif. A Fusion is not a Motif. A Fusion compromises quality and stability so that it can do EVERYTHING.

A Motif does a few things exceptionally well and those are the very things the OP wants in his purchase.

So, sir, your opinions have no bearing in the matter.

Thanks though.

Look at the title of this thread and get back to me.

• Members

Don't you even know what thread you're replying to???

If you want to reply to that thread, go to that thread.

But you have no business telling me that my on-topic reply to this thread is off-topic.

Admit you made a mistake. I actually own the synth he's asking questions about.

You, on the other hand, own FAIL :p

• Members

Seriously, what the {censored} are you talking about? In this thread the OP is questioning whether or not going forward with a Fusion purchase is a good move or if he should wait until he can get his hands on a used Motif. My comments were totally on-topic. I never said yours weren't, but I really don't think I made a mistake by referencing his previous post.

• Members

Well, lildave gave a really good explanation of what the Fusion is like.

So it's up to you now to decide which one you want...

Since I use synth sounds and piano primarily, it's perfect for me (I play real guitars so I don't need the sampled versions). I believe the Hollow Sun guitars that are free for the Fusion are really good though, but the Motif ES and XS will be much much better obviously, especially the strums, as they keep improving the arps.

By the way, you wouldn't need to keep your Fatar controller if you buy the 8HD.

• Members

Yup, akliner and I are good buds.

But he always fights back so it's good to open up a fresh can of whupass on him.

1000 for the Motif is a good price. Going for the RD700GX finally, or is the S90ES your destination? I would wait for the S90XS personally, since you like Yamaha pianos so much and the Motif still holds up.

• Members

the OP is questioning whether or not going forward with a Fusion purchase is a good move or if he should wait until he can get his hands on a used Motif. My comments were totally on-topic. I never said yours weren't, but I really don't think I made a mistake by referencing his previous post.

JESUS CHRIST WILL SOMEONE GET THIS KID A HAPPY MEAL!!!!!!

Archived