808 & 909 - Keep or Sell

cl516

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
what would i replace them with...

i dunno.

maybe sample the hell out of them, in a manner that works well with my style, and leave them be...

dunno yet.

:facepalm:

Sampling would be like making a video of yourself banging these two girls. Its gonna get old and won't ever be the same...

Though I completely understand considering it cause its close to 4 grand! But consider this...

The economy is taking a {censored} and again creating a larger gap between the haves and have nots. This gap will greatly BENEFIT the rising prices because of the supply and demand combined with the need for wealthy people to blow cash. Trust me. Just SAYING you have original 808 and 909 has got this post frothing with offers and penis envy!

As the gap widens, the prices that legit buyers can afford will actually be higher and EASIER to attain. These are beyond boutique- they are museum pieces and the music they spawned isn't going away. Its like owning Elvis's guitar- its NEVER going down in value... Never.

Roland made tanks before the crap revolution so they should actually outlast you!

• Members

what would i replace them with...

i dunno.

As long as you don't, don't replace them.

Keeping them for the value, yeah, sure, but there's better investments for your cash - especially since the cash on your bank doesn't get into enthusiastic late-night sessions where a single spill of a drink ruins everything.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I have a lot on junk in my studio that I mostly keep for sentimental reason but rarely use for making music. As long as I am not pressed for money, they stay.

Having said that, my 808 went many moons ago and got replaced first by a sampler, than by a MPC, and now by the drumstation (triggered by an ER-1). It is much more feasible to store the drumpatterns instantly with the song than writing everything down on paper. 909s I never kept too long because they are worth so much, like a trip with my ex-girlfriend (now wife) to Paris, or a trade for an MPC-60. However, I sometimes wish I had a 909, I liked the build quality but the sounds are not too useful for my style of music unfortunately.

• Members

Get the d16 plugs and sell them both.

Unless you are gear fetish type person, there is no reason to keep them around.

1. If something happens, parts are a bitch to get and repairs costly.
2. They will probably start loosing value next year (303s already did)
3. When you have people like Aux88 and Richie Hawtin switching over to d16, it is hard to argue the point.

Just my opinion (I sold my 909 a few months ago and don't miss it a bit).

u.man

• Members

I'm sorry, but i don't see the point of a drum machine that costs more then a good drum set.

i used 909 samples for years and then when i had one in my studio for a year, i realised why it was necessary for the music i make.

if it's not where your gravity is then, yes ... it makes no sense.

• Members

I was in the exact same situation back in 2000, my 808 had Kenton Midi and my 909 was mint and still had Roland batteries in it!...but I sold them I regret it soon after but now I got over and when I think about it its a good chunk of money you can invest somewere else in your studio (preamp for example), dont get me wrong the 808 sounds cannot be matched even when being sampled, the hats are just amazing and the 909 shuffle is something special but for the amounts of sounds you have I think is not worth it, again it really depends if you use it or no ... and again the same sounds on every track is just not creative enough for me and becomes boring, my own personal suggestion since I owned both would be to sell them but dont desperate to sell them wait to get someone to give you a big price for them.

Cheers,
OFM

Archived