Whats your favorite flanger?

Ryan.

• Members

My favorite flanger?

The one that sits in the box, unused.

I'm permanently scarred from the Great Flanger Abuse of the 1980's, and don't expect to ever recover.

It's a nasty, nasty little effect IMHO.

I understand your point.. These 80s metal riffs almost end with the existence of flanger!! I had the same idea about it, not wanting to even touch one. But I have recently got interest into experiment with flanger and clean parts. Some kind of soft modulation without the jet stuff.

Looking to try a Hartman flanger now!

• Members

You feel me now?

Lol, don't blame flanging for that mess! You need to listen to good flange!

This solo is absolute RAPE. The whole "is there anybody out there" live Pink Floyd cd is absolutely riddled with flange tones that give shivers down me spine.

[YOUTUBE]aj5pyDqrMzo[/YOUTUBE]

Might be a bit too 80's for your taste but I like it!

[YOUTUBE]xx86CxKYtg0[/YOUTUBE]

My Hero!

[YOUTUBE]F2Z2TzYYTQM[/YOUTUBE]

And of course, being supposedly one of the originators of flanging. The Beatles have great examples of real flanging. Like finger on the flange type {censored}, indie cred style.

I LOVE FLANGERS!

• Members

Not a huge flanger fan, phasers are more up my alley.

Had a DEM for years that was really cool, great for suble chorusy stuff. Got rid of it in the end though.

The Flanger Hoax rules! Very versitle, intense and insane. I would like to own one some day, untill then I'll have to keep borrowing my friends.

PDS 20/20 is a great delay/chorus/vibrato/flanger box, I doubt it's true bypass, but whatever.

• Members

I am using a Hartman Flanger now. IMO, the best flanger out there. Although, the Frostbyte sounds pretty cool too. I've tried the MXR (mini version) and I still own a DOD FX75B. The DOD would be great for the money they go for.

But, WOW.....the Hartman. I use it before my dirt boxes. It nails the Gilmour/Summers/Lifeson flange tones. Sounds great on clean tones too. true bypass. Can't say enough good things about it. Well, it is kinda expensive....

• Members

Well...

I have an old MIJ BF-2. It sounds fine and was cheap. Not TB, though.

The Ibanez Paul Gilbert sig Airplane Flanger sounds really great from what I've heard of it. It's apparently based on the old ADA flangers. I have read reviews from ADA owners who have said that they did a good job.

I think the best I've ever heard though is the original Electric Mistress, which Gilmour used/still uses, right? If I could own any flanger, that would be it. Isn't the Hartman flanger based on it?

• Members

Dunno if it's true bypass, but I really like the DOD FX75B Stereo Flanger. I got mine for 25.00 bucks on the bay. I'm currently running the stereo electric Mistress, but I think I actually like the DOD more.

Got a fx72 (which is pretty much the same circuit) for 40 on the bay, a blend control would be great, but it is a good pedal as is.

• Members

And of course, being supposedly one of the originators of flanging. The Beatles have great examples of real flanging. Like finger on the flange type shit, indie cred style.

Never happened-George Martin de-bunked that one. Was fucking around w/John Lennon describing an effect one of the EMI engineers @ the Road came up with,

and he bullshat John about how it was accomplished. The myth stuck around and still gets repeated...

the_more_you_know2.jpg

• Members

Never happened-George Martin de-bunked that one. Was fucking around w/John Lennon describing an effect one of the EMI engineers @ the Road came up with,

and he bullshat John about how it was accomplished. The myth stuck around and still gets repeated...

the_more_you_know2.jpg

I'd like to know more about this. Perhaps Phil would know more about this. I'm very curious.

• Members

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Wow! I learn somethin' new every darn day around here!

• Members

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Question what are you trying to say here. I didn't mean that a beatle invented the technique. I was merely stating the the beatniks were one of the first ones to use it quite a lot.

Are you saying that this technique was not accomplished by having two reels running at the same time and pushing your finger on the "flange" of one of the reels?

i got my info from here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanging

Archived