new P90 day in my baritone Argus

• Members

Prolly won't work. Definitly.

However a warmoth neck may....

Just saw how much these are new, plan went down in flames.

I've wanted to make a baritone out of this Peavey strat copy that I've had laying around forever, but a baritone neck is like $250, which seems ridiculous to put on a $100 guitar.

• Members

The neck is quite comfortable. It's significantly larger than a normal guitar neck, so playing chord shapes low on it can be a bit of a challenge but that's just the nature of a 30" scale. That being said, once you get used to the difference it's very nice. Overall quality is also quite good - grover tuners, stable trem. The only complaint I had was the pickups and I'm no pickup snob - I only put in GFS p90s, nothing fancy - I just didn't want humbuckers.

I predicted headstock fail would be the first reply - yeah i see your point, but I like it. I warmed to it when I saw it in person.

• Members

Are the P90s drop in replacements for the toasters size-wise? Or did you have to mod the pickguard?

They are minutely smaller than the toasters, but basically drop in replacements. there's maybe like an extra millimeter or two of clearance around the edges of the pickups compared to the toasters, but nothing you'd notice from more than a foot away or so.

How are p90's working out for lower tunings on the baritone?

Great! Really well defined and with a lot of oomph. The lower notes are very piano-like now, especially on the middle & neck pickup positions.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

They are minutely smaller than the toasters, but basically drop in replacements. there's maybe like an extra millimeter or two of clearance around the edges of the pickups compared to the toasters, but nothing you'd notice from more than a foot away or so.

Hello. When you say that they were "basically drop in replacements," do you mean length/width-wise alone, or depth as well? I'm getting an Agile Argus Mini, but as yet I have no idea what's under the "toasters." I'd like to replace the fake toaster humbuckers with, ideally, 3 P90s (assuming that I can find a RWRP one for the middle.) Or, if that fails, 3 GFS NYIIs.

Archived