anyone making convolution pedals?

ambient

• Members

It would be great to be able to have a bank of presets that you could set up as "morph pairs" -- use an expression pedal to sweep back and forth between two convos in a pair

Strymon would be able to create this, I agree.

Would need SERIOUS dsp but yes.

• Members

It would be great to be able to have a bank of presets that you could set up as "morph pairs" -- use an expression pedal to sweep back and forth between two convos in a pair

Strymon would be able to create this, I agree.

And add CV control from external sources and LFO's, maybe have an onboard LFO..... either way, would buy..... would not wear pants for first 24 with said pedal.

• Members

Ha ha I sent Strymon an email asking them if they would/could make a convolution reverb pedal. This was the response:

Anything is possible, and we have lots cooking in our labs. We don't talk about future products before they are ready for release however :)

Terry

• Members

Sorry, but I really can't imagine why that would be more awesome than a good reverb with loads of controls. With my midiverb 4 i can make reverbs ranging in size from a tin can to OUTER SPACE.

So why would convolution be better than just tweaking the parameters?

Convolution reverb is just way more realistic when it comes to emulating an actual acoustic environment, as it picks up on the small nuances of objects in the room, etc. The first time I heard it, I was pretty blown away. The wet/dry mix does have to be set right, but when it is, it's pretty incredible.

That said, as much as I love convolution reverb, I'm not sure it would translate well to a guitar pedal. It's not tweakable, and through a guitar amp (or stereo pair), much of the detail would be lost, I believe.

• Members

Honestly, I can see Strymon doing this. It seems like a product they would come up with causing everyone to crap their pants.

When I first started reading about the Blue Sky Reverberator, I was actually very surprised to read that Strymon didn't base it on any type of convolution.

• Members

Convolution reverb is just way more realistic when it comes to emulating an actual acoustic environment, as it picks up on the small nuances of objects in the room, etc. The first time I heard it, I was pretty blown away. The wet/dry mix does have to be set right, but when it is, it's pretty incredible.

That said, as much as I love convolution reverb, I'm not sure it would translate well to a guitar pedal. It's not tweakable, and through a guitar amp (or stereo pair), much of the detail would be lost, I believe.

Um, yes and no. You can tweak a ton of stuff on the perfectspace convolution reverb in sonar. You can pan, reverse impulse, tweak eq, decay time, pre-delay, stereo width, etc. It's not quite the same set of parameters as a regular reverb, but there's a lot of them.

You may be right about the nuance being lost through a guitar speaker, though. I still think it would be better than most current reverbs, however.

• Members

Um, yes and no. You can tweak a ton of stuff on the perfectspace convolution reverb in sonar. You can pan, reverse impulse, tweak eq, decay time, pre-delay, stereo width, etc. It's not quite the same set of parameters as a regular reverb, but there's a lot of them.

You may be right about the nuance being lost through a guitar speaker, though. I still think it would be better than most current reverbs, however.

Sorry, not AS tweakable.

I love my Cathedral reverb, but it comes nowhere close to Logic's Space Designer plug-in, which IMO is at least as good as Altiverb.

• Members

True, but you could have more accurate models of different spring and plate verbs for example - if that's your bag.

I would be more excited about doing stuff other than reverbs but I'm still not to sure what that would be...

• Members

what's the difference between convolution presets and modeling?

convolution is a form of modeling. but it's much more detailed than traditional modelling.

A human would write the code for most 'models' and continue until they think it sounds similar to whatever they're modelling.

Convolution programs mathmatically anaylise what they are 'modelling' (impulses) and then apply that to the signal.

Archived