youtube: making vacuum tubes by hand

mytee2.0

• Members

A bit of a stretch there. Not quite like building your own tube.
:cop:

building your own tube is a walk in the park compared to programming an fpga to emulate an ic design.

it's like the difference between see dick run and an encyclopedia.

the tube is just a vacumn with a simple circuit inside.

the hard part is making the tube hold a vacumn not the circuit.

but there is something really sweet about watching someone make a tube like that anyway. watching someone sit and program an fpga for weeks on end wouldn't have the same result...

• Members

but there is something really sweet about watching someone make a tube like that anyway. watching someone sit and program an fpga for weeks on end wouldn't have the same result...

There's something hypnotizing about watching skilled artisans create real, tangible artifacts. Watching woodworkers, glassblowers, silversmiths, etc, is always fascinating.

Watching someone typing and mousing, though, is infinitely boring. Even if they were writing the next Great Novel, watching them do it would be BOOORING. And this is why music "performers" shouldn't use laptops.

(see what I did there? :D)

• Members

There's something hypnotizing about watching skilled artisans create real, tangible artifacts. Watching woodworkers, glassblowers, silversmiths, etc, is always fascinating.

It's a weird realization that in the beginning, these things weren't made by using an assembly line.

And this is why music "performers" shouldn't use laptops.

I'd like to see your tube-based laptop.

• Members

someone should email all the people here that buy expensive boutique and analog synths. They're in for a massive facepalm moment when they realize they can get the same sounds for a small percentage of the price.

ZOMGPENIS C WUT EYE DID THUR!!???

• Members

building your own tube is a walk in the park compared to programming an fpga to emulate an ic design.

Who said anything about emulating an IC design? The guy is building a tube, not building an emulation of one.

Thanks for your opinion about building a tube being a walk in the park compared with FPGA design. I happen to think its the complete opposite, I could probably design a digital tube emulator using an FPGA before I could build a tube.

Archived