Math help anybody?

• Members

Sounds like you got it :)

Yeah, MV Calc doesn't have much to do with DE. There is one small section in DE where you do a partial derivative matrix, but they are usually easy enough to figure out without MV Calc.

I am a math major, so I suffer through all this, lol. I did EET last decade, now I am going for teaching...

For EE, your most important math subjects will be DiffEQ, and Linear Algebra...

• Members
Funny you should mention that. I was just getting pissed that my Probability teacher is making us derive all the formulas for our test on this chapter of the book instead of just letting us use them without knowing where they came from.
:lol:

Good to hear you think it's easier than Calc II though. Calculus has just always made sense to me for some reason. Calc just seems to come naturally, which is part of why I was excited to take Diff EQ was that I heard it was basically like a continuation of Calc. I'd rather take calculus over any sort of geometry class any day.

Most people tend to think Calc II is the hardest of all he Calc classes. DE is an extension of Calc II, but there is a different focus. Its not about trying to Integrate the weirdest things you can like Calc II. Calc III, or MV Calc whatever you want to call it is more about vectors (Dot product, Cross product, etc..) and 3D Conics.

I will say though, it really depends on your teacher. My school has a huge difference in teachers for DE. My class was more about graphs and charts and "approximating" where I know other people went through integration hell.

• Members

I'm studying applied maths and mechanics, we've been told that DiffEqs will be probably the most important thing for us to know. And damn, I enjoy them, a lot. Spent a whole night once solving them (we were given some huge amount of them to take a look at at home, I decided to try and solve all of them. Failed, but it was fun actually).

How hard are those Laplace Transforms? From what I read up about them on Wikipedia, we'll be having them in 3rd year during functional analysis, I guess.

• Members
I'm studying applied maths and mechanics, we've been told that DiffEqs will be probably the most important thing for us to know. And damn, I enjoy them, a lot. Spent a whole night once solving them (we were given some huge amount of them to take a look at at home, I decided to try and solve all of them. Failed, but it was fun actually).

How hard are those Laplace Transforms? From what I read up about them on Wikipedia, we'll be having them in 3rd year during functional analysis, I guess.

The most important because anything physical that you want to describe to the fullest extent uses a differential equation. If its in nature, most likely a nonlinear partial differential equation, or sets of them. Nasty stuff. But very practical if you want to be an engineer :)

• Members
Don't forget Fourier series/transforms, it's a really important concept for EEs.

I consider that a part of DiffEQ :)

But, it just depends on where your actual school teaches them, but I would agree, those are very important as well. They generally follow the Laplace stuff...

• Members

Depends on how your class does them. The actual definition of why they work is kind of complicated (Integrals to the limits of infinity), but in practice you generally just use conversion tables. You do algebra and make it look like something on the table, and then replace what you have with what it on the table.

If you actually have to do the infinite integrals and not use the tables, then it kinda sucks...

Archived