Need some help with my AC30

ChrisTUFFer

• Members

Do you mean coming from the speaker, or the actual amp making noises?

Its from inside actual amp! :S No idea what it is.

I just let it warm up a bit, the amp tubes power up , i plugged in straight up and it does let me play through it with no problems. The amp itself is buzzing like crazy.

• Members

did you just move it or something? are playing in a different place?

Its been sitting in the same place in my house on top my mesa cab. I dont play out at all. :/ Im guessing something maybe loose inside the amp? or maybe the transformer? Thanks for all your help btw!

• Members
Yes sir! Its coming from the left side.

Ok. firstly a disclaimer: I'm not an amp tech and I barely know how a transformer is put together. But it sounds like it's the power transformer then. Take the chassis out and stick it on top of the combo, plug in the speakers and turn it on. With the amp out of the case you should be able to confirm that it's the transformer that's making the noise.

Just remember that the voltages in the amp can kill even when the amp is turned off, so don't go touching anything or poking around if you're not confident. What I'd do is press down gently on the plastic top cover of the power transformer (with something non conductive like a wooden spoon :p) while it's making the noise and see if it goes away. If so you just need to make sure the 4 screws are tight, if not it's more than I can help with.

Good luck!

• Members

i had this problem with my fender hot rod deluxe amp, turns out that no one knew what was wrong with it, i even sent it to fender and nobody had a clue.

i hope you get it sorted though.

which model ac30 is it ? i know the previous "custom classics" had a lot of issues with humming rattling etc, but as far as i belive the newer models got rid of this problem.

• Members

i had this problem with my fender hot rod deluxe amp, turns out that no one knew what was wrong with it, i even sent it to fender and nobody had a clue.

i hope you get it sorted though.

which model ac30 is it ? i know the previous "custom classics" had a lot of issues with humming rattling etc, but as far as i belive the newer models got rid of this problem.

It is a VOX ac30 custom classic head :/

Im about to check the insides, if i can just figure out how to get the chassis out :S

• Members

It is a VOX ac30 custom classic head :/

Im about to check the insides, if i can just figure out how to get the chassis out :S

There are screws on the back panel - from memory, four along the top, one each side of the strip that has the outputs, effects loop, plug etc on, and two on the bottom left and right which are thicker wood screws. take all those off, and pull the back panel off. You'll see some electronics exposed. Don't touch those.

The whole metal chassis is connected to the flat wooden shelf that sits about an inch above the bottom of the head shell. Slide the whole thing out, sometimes it's sticks a but but just keep working it. And watch out, it's heavy.

• Members

There are screws on the back panel - from memory, four along the top, one each side of the strip that has the outputs, effects loop, plug etc on, and two on the bottom left and right which are thicker wood screws. take all those off, and pull the back panel off. You'll see some electronics exposed. Don't touch those.

The whole metal chassis is connected to the flat wooden shelf that sits about an inch above the bottom of the head shell. Slide the whole thing out, sometimes it's sticks a but but just keep working it. And watch out, it's heavy.

I discharged the amp before i open it by turning it out then pulling the power while playing just to be safe. I got the chassis out, im about to test it out.

@snorkelmonkey, yeah its from inside the amp :c

• Members

Be careful. You can get a bad shock even after the amp is off. Just look around and don't touch anything unless you discharge the filter caps first.

Like others, it sounds like a fried transformer or something arcing? Do you get power to the amp? Blowing fuses?

Just opened it up, put on some rubber gloves, tried seeing if tightening the screws helped but it only damped the noise slightly. I get power to the amp, even sounds just like it did before, it just a horrible buzz coming for the transformer i believe.

• Members
Just opened it up, put on some rubber gloves, tried seeing if tightening the screws helped but it only damped the noise slightly. I get power to the amp, even sounds just like it did before, it just a horrible buzz coming for the transformer i believe.

Most off the shelf rubber gloves are not designed for insulation against electricity so if you don't have the right stuff be very careful. ;)

You should take it into a tech to have it serviced. You're likely right that the transformer is fried and might need to be replaced.

• Members
Most off the shelf rubber gloves are not designed for insulation against electricity so if you don't have the right stuff be very careful.
;)

You should take it into a tech to have it serviced. You're likely right that the transformer is fried and might need to be replaced.

*facepalm* haha. Hmm. If its fried it can still power the amp? :o never knew that, it play and sounds just fine minus the fact that the buzzing is super loud, whatever comes out of the speakers sounds great. I guess it just might have decided to start dying. So i guess i should buy a replacement. Any idea which?

• Members
*facepalm* haha. Hmm. If its fried it can still power the amp?
:o
never knew that, it play and sounds just fine minus the fact that the buzzing is super loud, whatever comes out of the speakers sounds great. I guess it just might have decided to start dying. So i guess i should buy a replacement. Any idea which?

You are correct. If the power transformer was completely fried you would have no power to the rest of the amp and no signal. But it could be on it's way out? Did you see any visible arching? If you still have it open, dim the lights and have a look see, but don't leave it running too long you could be making a situation worse than it needs to be.

• Members

The tubes all glow the same, no problem there, they all light up nice and neat.
I took a video of it if it helps! It still processing so it may be a minute or two. I didnt seen an arching :/ Im just trying to rule out any simple fixes before i send it to the tech. I really dont have much money so i cant afford to spend a crap ton of money on it. I really do appreciate all the help though!

[YOUTUBE]Ngtq9ykSgTw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Wow, that's a weird one. Never had an amp do that before. The fact that it powers on just fine is what's kind of weird.

Are there any chokes in that area of the amp? (I'm not very familiar with the layout.) They would look like small transformers. That's the only other thing I can think of that might cause a sound of that nature.

Archived