The Fear of Being a Loser ?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

but that's not what he's saying...

you seem to be saying people need to be positive .. try harder and do better..

he's saying it's the negative.. 'the fear of losing' or the 'hatred of losing' that makes people successful. Not the positive 'desire to win' ....

My motivation has almost always been from something "negative". I've channeled my anger and frustration and used that to do well in school, my career, etc. You can do a lot of good if you use the negative emotions properly, but it's still terribly exhausting in the end.

• Members

My motivation has almost always been from something "negative". I've channeled my anger and frustration and used that to do well in school, my career, etc. You can do a lot of good if you use the negative emotions properly, but it's still terribly exhausting in the end.

And I really have no issue with teaching children that adversity can inspire strength and the will to succeed. That's the hero's journey.

But that's still different to me than saying the engine that drives greatness is fueled on hatred more than love.

• Members

My concern is maybe (or maybe not different, just a different light on it) a little different.

It's not always situationally appropriate - For instance, it's a mindset that the SCUBA community discourages b/c it, well to be morbidly frank, kills people in that environment.

• Members
That's exactly what I'm getting at
:thu:

yeah, I just twigged what he was saying.... regardless, I'd rather be positive, optimistic and happy..... and a loser. :)

I wouldn't want to play a sport if I was going to get all {censored}ty and depressed if I lost, if you can't shrug a loss off and look forward positive to the next game... you know, why bother? :idk:

... also the best poker players in the world are the best because they aren't scared of losing. If they were they would fold every hand.... that's why you never play with an amount you can't afford to lose.... if i'm scared of losing and someone puts me all in, what choice do I have but to fold? Poker is all about being brave, playing the odds and not being scared to lose if it doesn't go your way.

• Members

Coaches, sports commentators, team owners, etc...

Ah, got you. I'd place many coaches especially (along with quite a number of owners) in the same class as politicians. Scared of losing, focused on winning, but lousy at actually being part of a team. In the world of football, the obvious example of owners like this are Mesrs Tom Hicks and George Gillett. Those two bastards couldn't get along as a team between themselves, let alone focus on a football club (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7351883.stm). Another good example of the solitary figure would be Thaksin Shinawatra, once of Manchester City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra#Purchase_of_Manchester_City_Football_Club). Politician turned football club owner, all the time being a devious little {censored}. Desperate to win perhaps but will be remembered for failing as a human being.

But I think what irks me most about his precept #1 is not
whether it is true (or not)
, but that
so many people
seemed content to agree that it's an admirable value that leads to success - enough to push it on kids. WTF?

What Yeager spouts is easily quotable bull{censored}. Again, is that surprising when he's spent so much time around politics? The corporate world fed into the political world and created all manner of cretinous phrases. Sadly people take those phrases and attitudes on. Nobody should fear losing. If you lose, it means you have something to work on.

• Members

but that's not what he's saying...

you seem to be saying people need to be positive .. try harder and do better..

he's saying it's the negative.. 'the fear of losing' or the 'hatred of losing' that makes people successful. Not the positive 'desire to win' ....

What drives people to cheat then? The fear of losing or the desire to win? I'd go for the latter.

• Members

lots of students cheat on exams, etc so they don't fail

true, I was still on the sports thing... but yeah, I agree in an exam it's the opposite.

...going back to the negative as a positive thing....You are more likely to fear failing the exam, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.. to much fear and worry about failing an exam could make it even harder to pass... a more relaxed positive attitude would probably be better I think.

• Members

lots of students cheat on exams, etc so they don't fail

Most people fail an exam because they haven't put enough time into learning or revising the subject of the exam. If fear motivates a person to cheat, why didn't fear motivate them to revise more thoroughly? I'd say most people cheat in order to gain that tiny little advantage that sets them apart from the rest.

If you put this in a sporting context, banned substance use is the obvious target. What drives a baseball player at the top level to use steroids? It isn't a fear of failure for me. He's got his contract, he's reached the big league, and he knows he has ability. Now he wants that little something to give him more power than he has.

• Members

yup, you cheat to win....

There was an athlete that had a quote that went something like "If you aren't cheating you're not trying".

I think the concept of the 'hatred of losing' vs. 'the happiness of winning' is more that, if two people both enjoy winning then the person with more desire and thus more effort is going to be the person that hates losing more in addition to wanting to win because they have a larger net emotional investment in whatever activity. It's impossible to quantify, but I think there's credence to it. The person who has less tolerance for losing and won't allow themselves to get a silver lining out of it and will practice more work a lot harder to eliminate any variables that could cause them to fail.

That said this Yeager seems to be another clown pedaling the kind of 'get rich now there's a {censored}ing asshole monster lurking inside you!' that C level Jocks, Amway jokers, and business majors that drive Hyundai Sonata because they can't afford a BMW yet. See also: Rich Dad, Poor Dad

Archived