Tonewheel HAMMOND players who have an XK-3?

ClavAnother

• Members

I play an A100 and don't have any practical way to gig with it anymore. I have been considering an XK-System or at least part of it, and maybe one of those new guitar player Leslies just to be able to do gigs and move it in my sedan.

I am curious to know what other Tonewheel Hammond players think of the XK's keybed, or reliability, or any other comments.

I also have concerns about longevity: My first Hammond played for over 72 years and only stopped because it drowned in a river.

This is what I am considering:

xk3c.jpg

xlkpro.jpg

g37.jpg

• Members

I don't own the XK3, but have played one many times. I had the XK2 and XB2 along with a long cast of other clonewheels. I do have an A101 and 122 that I play at home.

The XK3 is pretty much cream of the crop in this niche. The only way you'll get better is with the full blown new Pro B3, but I think that is like $12-15k.

Hammond has done a nice job with the keyboard action and authenticity of the control panel. Grab it!

• Members

Yeah the XK-3C has an improved keybed over the XK-3. I have owned both and you can tweak the {censored} out of the XK's. The XK system is nice but the problem is it is so expensive. You will see guys like Tony Monaco using one. If you play dual manual a lot you could justify it I guess. If I had the money I would get one. Maybe someday. If you get the Leslie 3300 you will love it. It is an expensive rig but sounds great. The 3300 is great for the road. My biggest bitch with any of it is that the stuff is pricey. You can also get a Trek II Pedal to use with multiple Leslies if you have one older you are gigging with. Because of UL Listings the XK-3 don't's use anything but 11 pin configurations anymore from what I understand.

• Members

I play an A100 and don't have any practical way to gig with it anymore. I have been considering an XK-System or at least part of it, and maybe one of those new guitar player Leslies just to be able to do gigs and move it in my sedan.

Since you have the A100, you can go through each of the '3c's tonewheels and tweak it to sound exactly like the corresponding tonewheel in the A100. You probably could tweak the '3c to the point where you couldn't tell which one someone was playing if you couldn't see them.

The G37 won't have the deep bass of the 3300 but if you need that you could run the second output to a sub-woofer or bass amp. One potential drawback of using the G37 for organs is that you can't control it from the organ.

• Members

Since you have the A100, you can go through each of the '3c's tonewheels and tweak it to sound exactly like the corresponding tonewheel in the A100. You probably could tweak the '3c to the point where you couldn't tell which one someone was playing if you couldn't see them.

+1*10^6

I made a custom tonewheel set on my XK3 to match my Porta-B. Damn thing worked like a charm.

• Members

The G37 won't have the deep bass of the 3300 but if you need that you could run the second output to a sub-woofer or bass amp. One potential drawback of using the G37 for organs is that you can't control it from the organ.

Yes, I realize that the G37 is not the proper Leslie, but as of last spring they were showing a price around $1K. It looks like it has gone up since then and the release date keeps getting pushed out.

I would probably love that 3300, but then again, I could just bring my 122 at that point. I would really take anything that was a mechanical rotating speaker such as motion sound or whatever.

As has been pointed out earlier the price of these rigs is truly high, and that does put me off.

suitandtieguy wants me to forget all this 'nonsense' and chop my RT3 (transplant to a "gig" A100) and buy set of roll-or-cari's, a trailer hitch and a trailer and just stick with the real deal.

• Members

You could do that but I really would have to have a few Hammonds in order to gig with one. I love them enough I don't like to chop them. I always have more Leslies coming my way than consoles anyway but logistically I don't have the room. I would not mind carrying a chop though. I know Tucktronix gigged with a CV for awhile but now uses a real Leslie 25 that is modded with his CX-3. The 3300 is nice but the price did go up. Here is some data specs:

Leslie 3300

The Leslie 3300 has been designed with the professional touring musician in mind. This single-channel Leslie features a two-speed horn rotor utilizing our famous Ferro Fluid driver and a bass rotor with a massive 15

• Members

You could do that but I really would have to have a few Hammonds in order to gig with one. I love them enough I don't like to chop them.

Oh I agree completely. I guess I should be more specific, I don't mean "chop" as such, but STG offered to give my an empty A100 that I could transplant the RT3 guts into - there is no way in hell I would gig with an RT3! Technically, we wouldn't be losing any more consoles that we have already :)

So I have an A100 in the studio which I have removed the Speaker baffle board, the speakers, the reverb and the reverb amp from. I was suggesting doing the same for this potential project - which is what I refer to as a "gig A100"

Ideally I would like to paint it black like this thing - so sweet:

p9050119.jpg

• Members

Yes, I realize that the G37 is not the proper Leslie, but as of last spring they were showing a price around $1K. It looks like it has gone up since then and the release date keeps getting pushed out.

I didn't mean to seem to be talking you out of it. I tried to shorten my post and left too much out. I think the G37 or G27 are good options and I would bet they sell more that will be used with keyboards than with guitars. The deep bass can be optained if needed with a sub-woofer or bass amp. I can't remember the brand now but there is a company that makes pretty small sub-woofers. I'll post it if I can find it. I was told some time ago that Hammond expects some guitar players to "experiment" with their favorite 12" speakers to further refine "their" tone. Organists may also try to find 12" speakers that go a little deeper as well.

Also, I think either version would make a good second Leslie along with a 3300 or "vintage" Leslie. In fact I'm thinking of getting a G27 to connect to my old Ampeg Jet 12 for that purpose.

The drawback I meant was that since it can't be connected to an organ via the 11 pin (or 8 pin) cable the digital Leslie would always be available at both 1/4" outputs. If it could be, the right 1/4 output of the XK-3c could be sent to the sub-woofer or amp without the digital Leslie or the left 1/4" output could be sent to a sub or full range amp with it.

• Members

For portablity jsut get the XK3 and a 61 key controller keyboard for a lower manuel.I've had one for two years and love it. Get one or two(if you want stereo) good keyboard amps and your good to go. Even one of the new type leslies is a pain to move in a car and would probably not be loud enough for a band. Once you mike a leslie you essentially lose the real sound so just use the simulator in the XK3. Its pretty good.

Bill

• Members

Once you mike a leslie you essentially lose the real sound so just use the simulator in the XK3. Its pretty good.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yeah, I have heard demos on youtube with the simulator and it sounds nice. However, I I feel like I need a mechanical leslie because it sort of makes it "real" to me. Plus, and more importantly, I use a Moog Liberation as a third manual these days and it simply MUST go through a leslie. Although now I am wondering if it would be possible to plug the Synth into the External input of an XK and still have it use the leslie sim???

• Members

Hi Bill,

Yeah, I have heard demos on youtube with the simulator and it sounds nice. However, I I feel like I
need
a mechanical leslie because it sort of makes it "real" to me. Plus, and more importantly, I use a Moog Liberation as a third manual these days and it simply MUST go through a leslie. Although now I am wondering if it would be possible to plug the Synth into the External input of an XK and still have it use the leslie sim???

That would work. It would also go through the reverb if you wanted.

You could start with a 2121 and use the digital Leslie. Later add the 2101 and have a Leslie 21 System. Or, add the G37 and have the Leslie plus a sub/full range amp. Lots of options, all good. :thu:

Archived