OD/Distortion pedal for my Mesa lonestar special

BIGD

• Members

I know you need to use your own ears, but there's so much out there I need to pointed in the right direction.

Currently I'm running various humbucker equipped guitars through a Keeley DS-1 and Keeley tubescreamer, and some other effects that are true bypassed.

I'm looking to ditch these 2 and get one possibly tube based, possibly dual channel pedal for under $250. Basically looking for a range of tones between mild break up to classic rock to "brown"...not looking for scooped metal or anything like that, and I don't play blues.

Now I'm wondering if running a tube pedal like the Duncan twin tube classic into a tube amps clean channel works well. Others I'm considering are the radial plexitube or the Blackstar...or do I really just need a Fulltone OCD considering I'm already hitting a tube preamp? That would save some coin. Thanks for the help.

• Members

why would you want to put a tube overdrive in front of a lonestar?..?

timmy's sound great through lonestars - IMO particularly the el34 lonestars. if you're looking dual channel you can check out barbers tonepump & burn unit.. those are good pedals.

• Members

doesn't the lonestar special have tons of available drive sounds? what type of sounds are you trying to achieve with a pedal? e.g. clean, drive and more drive? you might get good results with a boost. if you set up one channel for overdrive then you can boost it into heavier over drive.

• Members

The reason I have 2 od's on my pedal board is that I don't always use the lonestar when gigging (venues have backlines with something decent, more convenient) or rehearsing at a rehearsal studio, so I have 2 drives on my board if I'm using a single channel amp.

If I'm using the mesa, I'll use the channel switching with the drive channel for mild breakup and the pedal to push it for more gain. The Keeley DS-1 through this amp gets pretty Marshall-esque, which I like, but...it's just a bit shrill and lacking in sustain. The "hot mode" on my Keeley modded TS7 is actually really good, but the switch sucks so I'm starting to move away from using it live.

I have a fulltone OCD on the way so we'll see if that gives me more of what I'm looking for.

• Members

Not saying it would work but if you can get your hands on a Bottle Rocket, try that. Boogie circuits tend to like Boogies. Only thing, this might be more Strat friendly.

I have the Bottle Rocket, it does the Mesa-type gain really well, but the same thing is already on the amp.

I would stay away from the Tubescreamer variations, they would just mess up the good sound this amp could provide.

Archived