"why are all these freaks building/buying distortion sustainer clones???" says 1994

hangwire

• Members

I also remember seeing boss pedals for like $199. So, everyone who is perpetuating this myth that you could get everything for super cheap it wasn't the case for boss pedals. in pawn shops sure, but not retail.

that is same today still retail :idk: i assume you are talking 1994 dd-5 price

• Members

I guess these are all good points but for the most part topic is off track from my original intention:

the advertised Big Muff Distortion/Sustainer to someone like me who got into playing and effects in the 1994ish time would have not been related to an actual "fuzz" ... and now it seems that a large component of younger players consider it a major branch of fuzz.

I think the real discussion here is what in your own personal experience gave you the impression that people generally believed the Big Muff to be a distortion pedal rather than a fuzz. THAT seems to be the topic at hand. ;)

If anything you probably were experiencing a bit info loss due to "fuzz gap" created in the 80's. I mean... truly... the 90's had to rediscover fuzz in a way, because it wasn't like we had the internet to fall back on for information as to who used what and how this pedal was tied to that manufacturing history... etc. etc. So I can see how you at first would have mistaken the Big Muff as a lineage of distortion rather than fuzz.

Also, on the old-debate of what constitutes a distortion vs. fuzz pedal (which really is kinda the foundation of this discussion... and is as old as fuzz itself)... the guy I mentioned before... Davie Allen... surf rocker / fuzz lover since the 60's.... his mainstay pedal for fuzz for a while now has been a Rat, which in my own personal experience have heard as many people call a distortion as they have a fuzz.

• Members

One last thing. The reason a lot of these pedals were marketed as "sustainer" pedals back in the day is because it was a time when guitarists were all about the dirty rock tone.

Thusly, using a high gain fuzz device to push their already dirty amps into ever-more-dirty territory would ultimately lead to longer sustain, and as such, the name "sustainer" was quite appropriate, but not exactly used in the same context we might use today.

• Members

Ha ha. Well, technically speaking it does sound very "smooth" when you are pushing an amp compared to other fuzzes of the day.

:idea:

Hence why 1994 advertising made sense to me

Mudhoney was a good example-- mark used a fuzz . Steve had the lead "distortion"... smoother.

• Members

unusual circumstance, right? I have never seen a tonebender in person.

not in the UK

colorsound were considered old junk, people used to trade them in for Boss multi-effects!

...seriously.

there was always someone building fuzzfaces too.. I walked into a shop (soho soundhouse) and bought a new grey arbiter RI for about

Archived