Sending one guitar signal to 3 or more amps in parallel... impedance issues?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

Basically, I have 3 EHX amps that I want to run simultaneously (2 Dirt Road Specials, and 1 vintage Freedom Amp).

I was thinking of splitting them using some kind of passive junction box, but will that cause impedance issues? If so, how can that be remedied? Would it help to just place a booster of some sort before the junction?

• Members

I don't have the technical knowledge of some around here I'm afraid, but I'd imagine there would be impedance/tone/volume issues using a passive splitter...

I think having a buffer (or boost) immediately before the splitter could help, and it may also be beneficial to have a buffer after each of the splits as well.

I often use two or three amps in parallel and use a combination of stereo (buffered) pedals and/or a Roger Mayer Crossroads to handle the signal splitting.

• Members

When you split to more than one amp, the amps' input impedances end up in parallel. This means you can end up with a combined input impedance that is too low for normal guitar pickups to drive properly. But if you make sure there's a buffer (active pedal, Boss-type pedal left in bypass or a dedicated buffer unit) in front of the split, the buffer's output will have no problem with the lower input impedance.

It depends on where in the chain you're splitting - if you're splitting right after the guitar, you need to add a buffer. If you're splitting at the end of the chain, you may already have the buffering you need.

• Members

You need to drive 3 amps from 1 guitar?

Ha! I've got just the thing for you!

The LittleLabs PCP Instrument Distro 3.0

pcp-front.jpg

It works like nothing else, as in, it's better, and it is a rocking good time for a dedicated pedalslut such as yourself.

1 guitar, 3 amps - it was made for that!

1 guitar, parallel effects pedals - yep!

recorder/DAW tracks, reamped - you bet!

use pedals as effects during mix? absolutely!

cheers,

Ian

• Members

You need to drive 3 amps from 1 guitar?

Ha! I've got just the thing for you!

The

It works like nothing else, as in,
it's better,
and it is a rocking good time for a dedicated pedalslut such as yourself.

1 guitar, 3 amps - it was made for that!

1 guitar, parallel effects pedals - yep!

recorder/DAW tracks, reamped - you bet!

use pedals as effects during mix? absolutely!

Almost $1000. Yowsah! But it definitely looks like the thing to hit the spot. Thanks for the info, aeon!!!

Archived