The Suhr, The Wampler, The Montgomery, and The Toneczar...

• Members

Of course I mean:

The Riot, The Super Plextortion, The So Much Devastation, and The Openhaus

Supposedly all four of these things can give you incredible higher gain sounds, and do it quite well. These seem to be the top four.

I guess I just wanna talk about your experiences with any of the aforementioned effects. I realize that hi gain pedals have been discussed ad nauseum, but only recently have I noticed these four in particular to be the ones with the best reputations. Am I alone in this observation? Did I miss one? Does one not deserve to be on the little list of the top 4 distortion pedals of all very recent time?

I've only heard clips. Is anyone out there actually getting huge gain tones out of clean amps at gig/practice(with band) volumes using these things?

Talk to me.

Also, what thread would be complete without some gas-inducing pictures???

suhr_riot_001.jpg

The Suhr

superplexRED.jpg

The Wampler

P1020162.jpg

The Montgomery (this one is a forumites, but it shows up on google. :idk:) Also, every one I've see looks different.

pic-dove0804-07-lg.jpg

The Toneczar

Also, I just pulled the trigger (assuming it'll work off 9 volts) on robj's old SMD. Not a dire need, but I had to try one of these and I've not seen any one of the 4 in a shop near me.

• Members

lol you ever checked the builders site? Toneczar for exapmle will cost many $$$ and you have to wait 2 years or so
:p

Montgomery Appliances got a myspace site where you can contact our forumm8 NITEFLY182

check youtube for demos - check the builders sites for shops etc.
:idk:

Word man, really I just wanna talk about them. I've watched lots and lots of clips. You ever tried any of these in person?

Also, yeah, the Toneczar is definitely a pricey one.

$375 - standard black box

$475 - polished box

Still not a Klon.

• Members

no sorry, i want to test this pedals... the Wampler PLextortion is more Marshall like JCM like... the Openhause and the So Much Devastion goes more into the U.S. HighGain territory imo Kayzer loves his Openhaus :thu: from the Riot i just read good reviews, but for HighGain i would go with a pedal that got 3 band EQ on board.

i am a happy Demonizer user :lol:

you know Okko? the Dominator is very Amplike sounding br00t box

• Members

no sorry, i want to test this pedals... the Wampler PLextortion is more Marshall like JCM like... the Openhause and the So Much Devastion goes more into the U.S. HighGain territory imo Kayzer loves his Openhaus
:thu:
from the Riot i just read good reviews, but for HighGain i would go with a pedal that got 3 band EQ on board.

i am a happy Demonizer user
:lol:

you know Okko? the Dominator is very Amplike sounding br00t box

Demonizer? ...googling...

Oh, ok, the Demonizer.

demonizer.jpg

Man, that's huge.

Anymore, I really don't want just a tone knob either. Especially when dealing with gain. Gotta have the flexibility.

I also don't know Okko. ...googling again...

0.jpg

I'll check it out. Seems pretty cool, although I'm doing stuff thats lower gain than the brewts. NOFXish punk type gain levels. High, but not brutal.

• Members

That's actually pretty interesting. I forgot about the Reeza, that one sounds pretty nice as well. You like it more than the TCz huh? What style of tunes?

Yeah the emma had more voicings to my ears, they are still pretty different but I just preferred the versatility of it. I used it mostly for crabcore. Apparently the Openhaus excels with super loud and super clean amps.

• Members

Yeah the emma had more voicings to my ears, they are still pretty different but I just preferred the versatility of it. I used it mostly for crabcore. Apparently the Openhaus excels with super loud and super clean amps.

As an elderly gentleman (24) I had to do some youtube-ing to learn about crabcore.... oh. Well that certainly is high gain. I'm thinkin if it can handle those gain levels... it could handle anything.

• Members

Yeah, those Emmas seem to get overlooked, at least by me. I'd live to play with them.

I'm just fascinated because these all get such good reviews. Used to be, a modded Metal Zone was as good as it got. Seems like now that the "turning of a clean channel into a high gain beast using just one stompbox" is actually possible.

• Members

I've got a Riot. Very nice sounding distortion, but the lack of on-board EQ is a bit detrimental. I'm looking for a more modern sounding Marshall-type distortion; the Riot isn't "beefy" enough on it's own (at least with my rig), but add an EQ and it sounds pretty good.

I will be putting a Super Plextortion through the paces this week to compare...I have high hopes.

• Members

I can talk about the Plex line and the Pinnacle, which is the Wampler MIAB line. Basics are gain range goes from Plexidrive->Plextortion->Super PlextortionPinnacle. There are even some things the Riot and the Plextortion have in common, circuit-wise, though they have pretty different final sounds. Let me know if you want info, I can't just go into a long-winded review like I used to be able to :cry: But I will be very happy to discuss 'em and put a clip or two up if anyone wants to know anything.

Manufacturers and manufacturer affiliates operate via vampire law on the forums. When invited, we can speak, else it's spam, so... I vant to suck your blood. :D

• Members

I can talk about the Plex line and the Pinnacle, which is the Wampler MIAB line. Basics are gain range goes from Plexidrive->Plextortion->Super PlextortionPinnacle. There are even some things the Riot and the Plextortion have in common, circuit-wise, though they have pretty different final sounds. Let me know if you want info, I can't just go into a long-winded review like I used to be able to
:cry:
But I will be very happy to discuss 'em and put a clip or two up if anyone wants to know anything.

Manufacturers and manufacturer affiliates operate via vampire law on the forums. When invited, we can speak, else it's spam, so... I vant to suck your blood.
:D

Hmmm, sounds like a crappy law. Like anyone on here doesn't know about Tech-21 and Delta Labs....

I'm interested in what pedal makers say about their creations.

Please, I invite you to rant my eyes out!

• Members

Hmmm, sounds like a crappy law. Like anyone on here doesn't know about Tech-21 and Delta Labs....

I'm interested in what pedal makers say about their creations.

Please, I invite you to rant my eyes out!

I actually understand and agree with the intent of the rules. Thinking about it, if manufacturers could just start endless threads about their products to promote them without any constraints it would basically turn into a boring ad party as everybody tried to out-spam everybody else. I think it's more of a "just be cool about it" rule here, but at TGP it's super serious and people get banned/threads disappear/kittens are occasionally threatened with going to bed without supper. But I've been around the forums and caring about pedals forever, whereas I've been with Wampler for less than a month now - I feel like I have a pretty good sense of when it is and isn't appropriate to discuss products without getting in people's faces about it, you know?

Anyway... on topic. You asked about the Plextortion versus the Riot. Well, they share a common ancestor, but they have pretty distinctive sounds. The Plextortion is built around a Guv'nor topology, but goes really far from that basic foundation with lots of cool additions and mods (and a switch, you can never underestimate the importance of a switch). Without going into circuit details - you can head to FSB for that talk if you care to do so, I think Brian even joined the discussion, he was pretty involved in the DIY scene before he really kicked it into high gear with Wampler Pedals and has less time to get on the forums - I can tell you that the Plextortion has a really focused character. Within the Wampler lineup, it's darker and has less gain available than the Super Plextortion (which was actually discontinued last week, by the way, though dealers should still have a few). It also has a very different EQ structure in addition to its fundamental "set" tone shaping. The Super Plex is a fully original design (which, as most builders will tell you, comes with the usual caveats about there only being so many ways to produce musically useful distortion - I'm not saying he invented op-amps, just that the arrangement of the parts on the board came from his brain first and is only comparable to other things second).

Brian likes to compare the tonal difference between the Plextortion and the Super Plextortion to a classic hot-rodded Plexi running into a Greenback cab versus a hot-modded JCM-800 hitting a Celestion V30 cab, and I think that actually does get at the distinction between the two of them pretty well. But to your question directly... To my ears the Riot has more gain available than the Plextortion, but the Plextortion has a more classic voicing and character to its distortion. The only setups it wouldn't work well with would be inherently dark ones, where the bass it can bring to the table could possibly be overpowering. Conversely it really kicks ass with brighter amps, and does a good job of bringing some very Marshall-inspired character to Fender amps. When I was reviewing, I always used to run a pedal into my Champ 600 just to see how things would work with a little, bright, really "direct" amp like that, and it was still recognizably Marshall-esque in character. Into a Twin or a 4x10 Bassman, it just gets better, since they can really handle its full capabilities. My Univalve is a pretty bright amp, sounds great with it, too.

The Riot sounds like a great pedal, the Guv'nor is a starting point for a lot of really nice designs. Hell, the Guv'nor is great on its own - I don't like the reissue as much as the original, but I did have one for awhile and I thought it was pretty good. They didn't need to add the "Deep" bass knob, I think that was a step too far and I always kept it on zero even with my bright amps and cabs. It isn't always bad to mess with a good thing, but in that case I think Marshall has done somewhat less of a good job of tweaking their own design than other companies have.

The End. :lol:

• Members

Suhr Riot: Owned one, liked it, sold it. Great dostortion pedal, but not $200 great impo (or whatever it costs, definatelly too pricey for what it is impo). It's probably a matter of taste, ut even for a full blood distortion it sounded verry fizzy to my ears. And definately not as suited for teh br00tz as some of your other candidates. As mensioned, jcm800 type of high gain is completely different from Mesa/Bogner/Diesel/etc type of Metal High gain.

Superplextortion: Just bought/ordered one, hope to get it by the end of the week. The clips&reviews sold me on this, and I got too good of a deal not to buy it and try it out. The Suhr riot clips/reviews were just as stunning though, so for all I know this one ends up in the spam thread real soon too. Also a jcm800 type of od/dist though.

SMD, Openhaus, Okko Dominator: Should be great for teh br00talz. The clips sound very promising impo, but with all the other options out there, there's no way I'm spending $200 or more on some solid state dirt box. Anything beyond $150 or so is Klon territory for me: Hype, myth, marketing, etc.

Emma Pisdywhatever: Also slightly over my budget unfortunately. But regardless of prices, if I were to choose one pedal for heavier metalish soort of tones, this one would be it. Just based on clips/reviews btw. They're not easy to get around here, and impossible to find use. If they someday pop up on the used market for 150 or less I might have to try one.

If high-gain brootzy stuff is what you're after, and you're sorta stinchy/pore like myself, maybe the Barber Dirty Bomb might be worth a look. Seems way better then equally priced pedals like the mxr full bore metal, but a lot less expensive then most booteek metal distortion pedlulz...

Edit, @Jeff: I missd that last little leview while I was typing my post. The Super Plextortion's been disconinued? Because the gap between the Plextortion and th Triple Wreck wasn't big enough? I would personally have thought that there should be lots of people like me who find the sound of a "hot rodded plexi" a tiny little too classic/vintage and mid-gain sounding, but also don't need a real Mesa-esque high gain Metal Distortion...?

• Members

I actually don't know the reasoning behind discontinuing it :idk: I do know that Brian is really, really good at designing distortion pedals, from the outside it always seemed like he had something cool up his sleeve to look forward to, so I would speculate that if the Super Plextortion has been retired, maybe it's to make room for something else.

Kind of related note, I missed out on the Cranked AC while it was still around and that bugs me because I always wanted one of them, I think it does a great job of getting the "this Vox wants to kill your amp" sound in clips and the VST version of it sounds great too. If anyone has a Cranked AC for sale talk to me please!

• Members

Dear Needs More Djent,

...if I was playing some kind of really weird cover band that was going to play
Tool, Queens Of The Stone Age
, and Silversun Pickups songs, and someone was going to shoot me in the face if I brought more than one distortion pedal, the Triple Wreck is the one that would give me the most versatility in that range of sounds.

Interest pique'd. I'll see how the Super Plex plays with the fatboost and SFT, but the Triple Wreck has been on my radar for a while...

• Members

I've got a Riot. Very nice sounding distortion, but the lack of on-board EQ is a bit detrimental. I'm looking for a more modern sounding Marshall-type distortion; the Riot isn't "beefy" enough on it's own (at least with my rig), but add an EQ and it sounds pretty good.

I will be putting a Super Plextortion through the paces this week to compare...I have high hopes.

I a/b'd the Riot with the Super Plextortion this week...and sold the Riot today.

With my rig at least, the Super Plextortion killed it in every way: more presence, a bit more gain, and MUCH fuller sounding with the on board EQ. The Riot sounds very thin in comparison.

Riot = 80's butt rock

Super Plextortion has a much more modern Marshall sound. Way better voicing for what I want.

My 2 cents.

• Members

That's my So Much Devastation pictured. Couldn't be happier. Turns my Hiwatt into a {censored}ing metal machine. My Maz 18 as well. The EQ is super Flexilble and I love the sag / tightness knob. If you can't get good high gain and beyond sound from the SMD I believe you are doing something wrong. Also you get to support a member of the HCFX community by buying Montgomery Appliances. I also have a MA Harmonic Dominator (Harmonic Percolator clone) and it is a stellar build.

Archived