Hi Effects Forum - Need Suggestions

mcr23

• Members

OK so I'm in the hunt for some stompboxes. Looking for suggestions that are true bypass and reasonably priced (around a 150 limit each).

- Delay: Was thinking Carbon Copy but I did find that Danelectro Reel Echo Tape echo unit.

- Compressor: Would love a carl Martin, Keeley, or Mad Professor but they are pricey. Anyone have opinions on the E-Wave pedals?

- Chorus: Pref not a stereo. liking the Radial Bones Vienna Chorus but I know there's other options.

- OD: Prob the BB preamp.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

• Members

Delay-Malekko 616 or EQD Disaster Transport

Compressor-I used a little Guyatone one that sounded pretty sweet. I like the '80s Ibanez ones, too. I don't know or care if they're true bypass, though.

Chorus-No opinion, although if a gun was to my head I would recommend the EQD Sea Machine because I love EQD.

OD-I'm really stoked on my OCD right now.

• Members

Delay: depends on what sort you're looking for. There's the Memory Boy on the cheeps with a bit more functionality. Or, more around the 150 mark, there's the AquaPuss or the Catalinbread Montavilion.

Comp: Any of the MXR compressors would be below 150. Or at around 150 there's the Barber Tone Press (which I hear is amazing as far as compressors go).

Chorus: EHX Neo Clone, the new MXR Chorus that's coming out, CE-5... Those are the best I can think of as far as price.

OD: Insert a million pedals here. I've heard the BB is nice, though.

• Members

Delay: depends on what sort you're looking for. There's the Memory Boy on the cheeps with a bit more functionality. Or, more around the 150 mark, there's the AquaPuss or the Catalinbread Montavilion.

Comp: Any of the MXR compressors would be below 150. Or at around 150 there's the Barber Tone Press (which I hear is amazing as far as compressors go).

Chorus: EHX Neo Clone, the new MXR Chorus that's coming out, CE-5... Those are the best I can think of as far as price.

OD: Insert a million pedals here. I've heard the BB is nice, though.

I'm def going to look at the Barber Tone comp, thanks!

I also looked at the acqua puss but the delay is maxed in the 300s. I wanted something that can go out to 500. What are the the thoughts on the Danny tape echo?

• Members

My general rule when it comes to gear... "You get what you pay for". Well i stole it off my Blues guitar teacher. I would also bet that almost everyone on here has a compressor but doesnt use it that much.

this, I liked it for cleans, but they don't usually work well with dirt, so switching between the two was too much tap dancing, i just ended up selling my compressor.

Bass guitar on the other hand is a different story.

• Members

My general rule when it comes to gear... "You get what you pay for". Well i stole it off my Blues guitar teacher. I would also bet that almost everyone on here has a compressor but doesnt use it that much.

I've never found a need/desire for a compressor.

Carbon Copy is cool, but for more or less the same price, you could have the 616 which has cool features. Or you could get a Nova Repeater (not TB, but the features are insanely awesome).

I know little to nothing about compressors.

Chorus: Boss EQD Sea Machine has every feature you'd ever need in a chorus, but it's a little out of your price range.

OD: Literally hundreds of choices. Follow your ears.

• Members

I think TC electronics just came out with a new line of "affordable" effects. the one they demo'd was pretty good I just dunno how affordable they are.

then you have red witch that also came out with a new line of effects that are really small and my redwitch medusa chorus is an "always on" affair.

• Members

OK so I'm in the hunt for some stompboxes.

- Delay: Was thinking Carbon Copy but I did find that Danelectro Reel Echo Tape echo unit.

- Compressor : Would love a carl Martin, Keeley, or Mad Professor but they are pricey. Anyone have opinions on the E-Wave pedals?

- Chorus : Pref not a stereo. liking the Radial Bones Vienna Chorus but I know there's other options.

- OD: Prob the BB preamp.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Delay: The Carbon Copy is really underrated for as good as it is for the price and size. You won't be disappointed.

Chorus: Dr Scientist's Cosmichorus is expensive, but it sounds incredible. Its like 300 bucks if you can find one. If you save money on other pedals, spend that saved money here. You will not be upset. Google some videos of it.

Comp: Keely. Keely. Keely. If you can't afford a Keely, grab the DynaComp by MXR. Its actually shockingly good for the price, just hisses a little if you don't adjust it properly.

OD: I'm on the market myself, I dunno. Everyone will give you a different answer here.

And if you decide to buy anything Boss, just take your money outside and burn it. You'll get a better sale just burning your money.

• Members

As far as delay goes, I'd recommend the Malekko 616 over the Carbon Copy.... but for more flexibility, I'd suggest you check out the TC Electronic Nova Delay. It's got several really cool delay types, presets, a handy display

• Members

I think Boss makes/made some really good delays.

I've owned the DD3 and the DD5 and hated the sounds of the delays in both. I am yet to hear a digital delay on a guitar I like. Different strokes for different folks.

Its worth pointing out since now someone mentioned the 616... man that's one sweet pedal. Totally forgot about that one.

• Members

hmmm, kinda tough cuz a lot of theses suggestions are either over $150 or not true bypass. (Crxsh good call on the used Nova delay though.)
I can say though that I think the MXR buffers are really good and don't mess your tone that much. With that said:

Delay: CC is awesome, but not true bypass. Hardwire delay is TB and under $150.

Compressor: a used MXR script reissue would be about $130. KIller, but not true bypass

Chorus: MXR micro chorus is under 150, not stereo, but not tru bypass, i think.

OD: kinda open here. OCD? Hardwire CM 2? fulldrive2?

• Members
hmmm, kinda tough cuz a lot of theses suggestions are either over $150 or not true bypass. (Crxsh good call on the used Nova delay though.)

I can say though that I think the MXR buffers are really good and don't mess your tone that much. With that said:

Delay: CC is awesome, but not true bypass. Hardwire delay is TB and under $150.

Compressor: a used MXR script reissue would be about $130. KIller, but not true bypass

Chorus: MXR micro chorus is under 150, not stereo, but not tru bypass, i think.

OD: kinda open here. OCD? Hardwire CM 2? fulldrive2?

I will prolly go up to the 175 range for each. Thanks for the suggestions :thu:

I could get the $200 pedals but I'm also looking to buy 2 $1,500 class-A low-wattage amps to fill in the gaps that my Fryette Sig:X and Mesa studio & Quad / 295 Simul rack can't fill. They are just too much power for most applications. :lol:

Archived