Poly-Mopho!

Palaver

• Members

Unison am equal VCO/DCO sync?

What's master clock?

A master sync in relation to the Unison control.

I'm here to tell you that there is nothing special about the MoPho in relation to a P'08. It's simply a cost effective scale down.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So you lose half the polyphony and there's no clear answer on whether the oscillators are in phase, and you can't saturate VCF or VCA with 4 oscillator sources?

:cop:

Actually Stack Unison reduces the voice count to 1. It just splits the 8 voice count into 2-4 voice unison 2 Oscillator monphonic synths in one program and it ..............

Sounds GREAT to me! :D

And there's also the Oscillator sync button. :wave:

• Members

If you stack your oscillator and "sub" won't necessarily be sync'ed (I don't know how DSI DCOs work) which may be favorable or unfavorable but still a difference.

I tried this in the G2 demo, there is surely a difference.

The two separate oscillators (one an octave down) have phasing and movement like you'd find in a 2 oscillator analog (modeling?) synth. The flip flop derived sub oscillator adds to the sound but it doesn't have any movement at all, it sounds cleaner, tighter, thinner. As you'd expect the subtle phasing between oscillators sounds favorable, but its not the same as a flip flop "oscillator".

I can post samples if anyone would like.

• Members

I tried this in the G2 demo, there is surely a difference.

The two separate oscillators (one an octave down) have phasing and movement like you'd find in a 2 oscillator analog (modeling?) synth. The flip flop derived sub oscillator adds to the sound but it doesn't have any movement at all, it sounds cleaner, tighter, thinner. As you'd expect the subtle phasing between oscillators sounds favorable, but its not the same as a flip flop "oscillator".

I can post samples if anyone would like.

On the P'08, simply create the initial 2 Oscillaor base sound with unison activated on Stack A. Copy Stack A onto Stack B. Turn off oscillator 2 and set Osc 1 fine tune to 0. Then adjust Oscillator 1 Freq to 1 or two octaves below the Freq settings of the oscillators in Stack A.

Go back to Stack B and emphasize the Amp (Env Amount and/or Velocity) for a more pronounced Sub effect to taste.

Enjoy.

• Members

Enjoy the technobable Urban. Gotta go make music. Just created an awesome bass sound on the P'08 while responding to this mess. See ya.
:wave:

You started the technobable with your seemingly incorrect statement. :cop:

Music will sound different with P08 "suboscillators" and MoPho suboscillators [unless oscillator sync can spill over various voices, which is not specified in the manual]. :thu:

• Members
Does anyone know if DSI's DCOs are free running? If they sync at every keypress none of this matters.
:facepalm:

Free running afaik.
It would be interesting though if you really could discern between a sound with real phase synced subosc and a sound with emulated subosc ;)

• Members
Free running afaik.

It would be interesting though if you really could discern between a sound with real phase synced subosc and a sound with emulated subosc
;)

The flip-flop based sub-oscillator function you find on synths that use them can also be emulated accurately on a synth with vcos using the sync function.
Some time ago, I posted a Moog Voyager patch on the Moog Music website, based on an Octave Kitten I had occasion to play years ago.
I became bored of hearing the wailing oscillator sync patch that at times becomes so cliche in the analog synth repetoire.
It was to illustrate methods of taking commonly used analog synth functions and using them in ways that avoid the typical 'going for the obvious' approach.
Emulating the effect on a synced vco/dco based analog requires you to set the octave and fine tuning ctrls for the correct harmonic alignment, but it works.
The advantage of having actuall sub oscillators, is that they don't tie up the other main oscillator to get phase-locked bass and lead sounds.
A Poly Mopho could be an interesting piece of kit.

Regards,

Lawrence

• Members

I'm gonna have to agree with urbanscallywag and say the sound of a proper sub-oscillator sounds different to another oscillator an octave below. Sub-osc sounds still sound like there's only one osc at work instead a layered second osc which has phase differences.

However, I have used the hardsync method LWG mentioned to approximate the same sound. In my experience using ATC-1 and JX-8P the synced oscillator lacks the power that a proper sub-osc on say a Juno 6 gives.

In my experience using the Juno 6 sub-osc gives you a waveform that you can't recreate purely with the pulse waveform + manual pulse width adjustment. Imo the best warp bass sounds off the Juno come from using just the sub-osc.

Archived