Poly-Mopho!

Palaver

• Members

Hopefully, we see one at NAMM! Think it will happen? Sorry if this is in one of the 100 other Mopho threads... but I didn't come across any pondering or rumours about the possibility.

Cheers,

PB

EDIT: I realize how stupid this was after I read some of the responses. I realize that the Mopho is based on a single voiced P'08, and I should of rephrased it as: "Does the single voice with the sub-osc on the Mopho give it a completely different character from the P'08?"

Does one gain much more from the Mopho as opposed to just using a single voice on the P'08?

Would it make sense to make a "Poly-Mopho?"

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Give the man a cigar.

I realized how stupid I looked when I posted that... I know that it's based off a single voice of the P'08, but I figured the sub-osc would give the Mopho quite a different flavour.

I guess I should of asked... is the Mopho have a different flavour from the Prophet 08? Does the sub-osc change things all that much?

• Members

I realized how stupid I looked when I posted that... I know that it's based off a single voice of the P'08, but I figured the sub-osc would give the Mopho quite a different flavour.

I guess I should of asked... is the Mopho have a different flavour from the Prophet 08? Does the sub-osc change things all that much?

No. Same result as turning the second osc. down on the P'08. Sorry.

• Members

No. Same result as turning the second osc. down on the P'08. Sorry.

Except you are using up OSC 2 to do that. The SUB is additional on the MoPho, correct? So you could still set up OSC 1 and OSC 2 in a detuned fashion to fatten things up, then have the SUB below both of them.

• Members

If you stack you'll be using separate VCF and VCA so you won't get same saturation effects. If you stack your oscillator and "sub" won't necessarily be sync'ed (I don't know how DSI DCOs work) which may be favorable or unfavorable but still a difference. If you stack you've lost some of the streamlined interface of including it in a voice in the first place.

But sure its a hack. ;)

• Members

It would be called a PolyPho, or a PoPho. ;)

MoPhos are cheap enough, that one could buy a few of them and make a "poly"-pho with them. Sure you can get a P'08 but you lose the sub-oscillators. I wonder if the MoPho has poly-chaining like the P'08.

IIRC, the Pro-One also had sub-oscillator(s) that the Prophet 5 lacked, right?

• Members

If you stack you'll be using separate VCF and VCA so you won't get same saturation effects. If you stack your oscillator and "sub" won't necessarily be sync'ed (I don't know how DSI DCOs work) which may be favorable or unfavorable but still a difference. If you stack you've lost some of the streamlined interface of including it in a voice in the first place.

But sure its a hack.
;)

Settings in Stack A can be copied to B. Then just turn down the oscillator. It's all one instrument so it's all synced. Your just splitting the voices. ;)

• Members

As far as I know each DCO (pair?) is generated in completely different microcontrollers, one per voice. I don't think those are necessarily synchronized and I don't really see a need for them to be.

Asynchronous oscillators an octave apart won't have the same additive phase characteristics that a flip-flip generated sub oscillator will.

Interesting side note about:

They are all digitally controlled aren't they.
:idea:

The other day I observed the Nord G2 (software demo at least) oscillators are not necessarily in phase. I found this interesting, but it makes sense.

Archived