My thoughts on the Toneprint stuff

OMTerria

• Members

Corona Chorus: Played this for about a minute total. I guess it'd be cool if you're into the light, subtle chorus stuff. I like my choruses to be huge and washy though, so it's really just not my thing.

Vortex Flanger: Now, I haven't played with many flangers before, so this is fairly uncharted territory for me. What I can say for sure is that it cops the chorusy-flange sound really well in the normal mode with the Feedback around noon. Aside from that, it can get pretty damn wooshy and REALLY weird sounding when messing around with the Feedback knob. I'm not quite sure what the Delay Time does in this mode, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference. Maybe I don't know what to look for. The tape mode is very cool, it sounds pretty much exactly like what you'd expect from hearing the TC demo. With the delay time before noon you get the sound-cancellation thing going and at higher levels, the cancellation thing turns into a fuzzing out or negates it altogether. The Feedback knob does about the same thing in this mode. Very interesting pedal, but I'd want to try it out with some dirt and maybe learn how to use it a bit more before throwing down some cash for it :lol:

Shaker Vibrato: VERY smooth sounding and clear with an excellent range via the Tone control. It'd be nice if it went a little slower and deeper (I guess the Mind Bender spoils me a bit on that front), but if those weren't concerns I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. Even so, I may wind up pulling the trigger anyway to make up for the volume loss on the Mind Bender (the Latch mode is very cool too). The included Toneprint also gave off a very convincing Leslie vibe. I find the Rise Time feature to be a bit useless, but YMMV. Killer pedal :thu:

Flashback Delay: Having owned the Nova Repeater before, I had a bit of an idea what to expect going into this one. The 2290 mode I found lacking compared to the standard digital mode on the Repeater, but I thought the Analog and Tape modes on the Flashback compared favorably to the the Repeater's if you don't mind the lack of control on tone and modulation. I was also very impressed by the Modulated mode. Other than that, I didn't find the pedal to be hugely striking. That said, given the price point I'd take this over the DD-7. Between this and the Nova Repeater, I'd go for the Repeater for more control and a dedicated tap tempo button but I'd go for the Flashback if you want the looper and the the lack of control/tap tempo doesn't bother you. Another note: many of the more digital-delay modes come off as being a bit bright.

Hall of Fame Reverb: WOAH. This thing straight up annihilates the Cathedral I recently got in both usability and tone. It can't get as retardedly washy and intense as the Cathedral, but it can get very deep in a more tasteful way. I was impressed by pretty much every mode besides Gate. To the curious: the Modulated mode on this one was pretty cool, if different from the one on the RV-5. Definitely try it out if that's what you're interested in because I feel like that mode is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing. I'd love to see a more usable Gate or a Reverse Toneprint, but this pedal is definitely fantastic without them. I must say that I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on this one and losing the Cathedral regardless of the whole Reverse thing though:facepalm:

• Members

Thanks for that quick review. I totally agree with you about the Flashback and the repeater. The Flashback is also a bit quieter in comparison. I picked up the chorus this weekend and I actually love the fact that it doesn't wash your sound. Especially when you use a lot of gain, it can get muddy real fast. I haven't tried the Tone Prints yet on the chorus. I also have the reverb on the way and I'm 90% sure I am keeping this and replacing Tech 21 RVB.

• Members

Thanks for that quick review. I totally agree with you about the Flashback and the repeater. The Flashback is also a bit quieter in comparison. I picked up the chorus this weekend and I actually love the fact that it doesn't wash your sound. Especially when you use a lot of gain, it can get muddy real fast. I haven't tried the Tone Prints yet on the chorus. I also have the reverb on the way and I'm 90% sure I am keeping this and replacing Tech 21 RVB.

Yeah, I realize I'm probably in the minority when it comes to the whole chorus business. I can't say that I'm a great judge of the more standard chorus stuff, but it seems like it would be nice if that's what you're going for if the quality of the other pedals are any indication

• Members

the delay time control on flangers is for using on low depth settings to tune which area of the flanger you want to sweep around. if you have the depth set right off you use it to manually tune the comb filter for resonant sitar type sounds.

• Members

i sent my Hall of Fame back to ProGuitarShop today for a refund. it had some very nice quality reverbs on board, but it certainly wasn't for me.

i think anyone looking for some great hall/spring/tile/room reverbs will be quite pleased.

i hate modulated reverb, even MORE SO on the HofF than the Boss RV-5. zero control over the modulation. very cheesy.

the SOUND QUALITY of all modes, however, is very nice. some settings added a noticeable bit of noise to my amp, but nothing

game-changing.

i think fans of ambient work will be mostly let down by the HofF. it was nowhere near as dramatic as i hoped. the pedal will give you longer

reverb times than just about any spring tank or amp unit, but they still just weren't enough for me.

the gate setting could have been very cool if you had wider control over the decay (i wanted longer-lasting decay, essentially).

• Members

i sent my Hall of Fame back to ProGuitarShop today for a refund. it had some very nice quality reverbs on board, but it certainly wasn't for me.

i think anyone looking for some great hall/spring/tile/room reverbs will be quite pleased.

i hate modulated reverb, even MORE SO on the HofF than the Boss RV-5. zero control over the modulation. very cheesy.

the SOUND QUALITY of all modes, however, is very nice. some settings added a noticeable bit of noise to my amp, but nothing

game-changing.

i think fans of ambient work will be mostly let down by the HofF. it was nowhere near as dramatic as i hoped. the pedal will give you longer

reverb times than just about any spring tank or amp unit, but they still just weren't enough for me.

the gate setting could have been very cool if you had wider control over the decay (i wanted longer-lasting decay, essentially).

I can't help but think we must have owned two completely different HoF reverb pedals, because I find just about everything the opposite of your findings. I love the modulated mode, and it's anything but cheesy. How do you have it set to make it even sound like that? Maybe we have different definitions of cheesy, lol. I found it added a nice amount of shimmer, with a touch of chorus to your effect, but definitely not overwhelming at all. And as far as ambient goes, maybe I don't know the effect that well. But I can turn on the church mode, long delay time, effect level all the way, and play something and the effect lasts like you're in outer space. I don't normally play like this but I found it kind of addicting, especially in stereo. To be fair, I'm also experimenting with my Mad Prof FGC compressor, in the sustain mode, so with the HoF, it's like the notes never, ever end.

Ive owned a Cathedral, and RV7 (also pretty good), an RRR, M9, Digiverb, maybe the Boss, I can't recall, and this one just stands above the others. Am sort of surprised there's no reverse, but maybe that can be a toneprint. Anyway, we all hear things differently, I'm just surprised sometimes by how different it can be.

• Members

And my 2 cents on the other 2 toneprints I have. The Corona, I also think it's more subtle, but crank the fx level and depth a little extra tone, and maybe the speed at noon or a bit less, and it does become fuller and more beautiful. You can get the seasick vibe if you want, but I don't find that pleasing really. So while it doesn't seem like a deep lush chorus, when you turn it off, you realize how naked and thin your tone seems to be. Kind of like what a good compressor does too. I would say this is the chorus pedal for people who don't really like chorus, or find it 80s cheesy, which it really isn't. Back off the depth, and it sounds pretty good with dirt too, making it thicker, which can be a nice effect too.

Flashback. I really like it. I also liked the Repeater a lot too. Not sure which I like better, but I don't have both to compare. I like the analog and modulation modes a lot on the FB. The Repeater has about 1/2 the number of settings, none of them really distinct, but the added tone and modulation controls was a nice plus. But I ended up setting all of the settings pretty similar. Without those controls on the FB, I don't really miss them, I just play, less tweaking which is better. I used the strum feature on both pedals, so a tie. The toneprint feature is where the FB pedal has a big edge obviously and that seems to tip the scales in its favor overall. Both pedals are win though.

• Members

Just tried some Toneprints for the chorus and it sounded great. I totally agree about the fx level on the Corona. You just have to think of the fx level as a "wet/dry mix" and the depth as more of a "range" knob. It makes a difference once you know how to tweak it. The Corona doesn't seem like a big deal, but it can cover a lot of difference sounds.

• Members

Just tried some Toneprints for the chorus and it sounded great. I totally agree about the fx level on the Corona. You just have to think of the fx level as a "wet/dry mix" and the depth as more of a "range" knob. It makes a difference once you know how to tweak it. The Corona doesn't seem like a big deal, but it can cover a lot of difference sounds.

Yeah, I was a dope at first, I thought the FX Level was more like volume/mix. So I kind of left it at noon and thought to myself, this is a pretty mellow chorus effect, but once I cranked it all the way, the sound definitely came more alive.

• Members

sweet. I've only gotten to play around with the Flashback and it's a win for the $$$. Anyone who wants a class act delay under $200 that fits on a small board will find this a win. The Corona Chorus is what I really want. If it cops C from their sCf pedal I will be a happy man.

• Members

Diming the Effects Level still wasn't enough for me :lol: but again I'm a huge Mind Bender fan so take it for what you will. I can definitely see how it's a chorus for people who don't like chorus though

• Members

Ordered the Flashback to replace my noisy DE7. For me the loop was the real difference maker. I think I'll get a lot of use out of that when working on new stuff. The videos I saw didn't hurt at all either. I suspect it has more functionality than I need but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The audio tapping looks useful to me as well. I can see some of those things (and no presets) being an issue for those playing live but I'm not and I currently don't have those with the DE7 so for me it looks like a winner...we'll see in a week

The HOF has me very interested as well because I have no verb pedal but I can live without it (I've never been a big Verb person) and if I want some in recording I have lots of options in PE8

Archived