Graph Tech Saddles?

• Members

Do you mean the 'String Savers'? I have some Tusq saddles on my Jaguar but I haven't tried the String Savers. I'd say the Tusq saddles have changed the tone slightly, maybe increasing sustain a bit and taming the metallic attack that is associated with the Jaguar. The sound hasn't changed much though but they have solved some of the Jaguar bridge's problems. They are certainly well made.

When I researched Tusq saddles it seemed as if most people though the String Savers succeeded in reducing string breakage significantly but not everyone liked the sound. Steve Albini uses them, if that matters.

• Members

Ages ago my epi LP was breaking strings at the bridge, I changed the saddles to graphtec and haven't looked back.

I honestly can't remember how they impacted the sound so it can't be that significant.

For the record I don't recall breaking a string at the bridge on that guitar since.

• Members

I have Graph Tech saddles on all my live guitars and any changes I've noticed have all been improvements...

They're meant to actually increase you're sustain rather than decrease it (something you might appreciate on a Tele) & if you're one of those players that breaks strings often due to heavy right hand technique (I'm not one of them) there's evidence to suggest that it will help with that too (since there's no metal on metal friction)!

The main reason I've got them is to aid in tuning stability ... they help keep my vibrato equipped guitars useable on stage, especially my Bigsby'ed SG. Soundwise, I didn't notice any difference myself...Makes me wonder why all guitars don't have them as stock!

Bottom line IMHO is they are totally worth the money and (like straplocks) will improve the playability of any decent guitar by fitting them. Just keep your original saddles handy if for some reason you don't like what they do to your axe.

• Members

Do you mean the 'String Savers'? I have some Tusq saddles on my Jaguar but I haven't tried the String Savers. I'd say the Tusq saddles have changed the tone slightly, maybe increasing sustain a bit and taming the metallic attack that is associated with the Jaguar. The sound hasn't changed much though but they have solved some of the Jaguar bridge's problems. They are certainly well made.

When I researched Tusq saddles it seemed as if most people though the String Savers succeeded in reducing string breakage significantly but not everyone liked the sound. Steve Albini uses them, if that matters.

Sorry, yes I meant string savers!

• Members

Sorry, yes I meant string savers!

When I looked into the Tusq and String Saver saddles I got the impression that most people didn't seem to notice much difference between the two different types, at least in terms of how they sound. I think they use a similar material but the String Savers have some kind of black coating to reduce friction. Could be wrong about that though!

• Members

I put a set of the original GraphTech String Saver saddles on my Strat and they worked great. Like others have said - never broke a string with them. However, cosmetically they didn't look that great being that dark graphite color on a white Strat with white pearl pickguard, and white Lace Sensors. A few years later when they came out with the Ferra Glide saddles, which are silver metal like regular Strat saddles, but with a small insert of the graphite material where the string contacts the saddle, I switched to them. They are also excellent, and luckily the original String Savers fit perfectly on my PRS Santana SE.

Archived