Is there any point in getting a BB Preamp pedal when I already have all of these....?

• Members

I already have a Fulltone OCD, PlimSoul and Full-Drive 2 MOSFET, a Maxon OD808 and a Boss BD-2 Blues Breaker pedal.

I have a Twin Reverb 212 and a 1970 Traynor YBA-1 50W BassMaster head and 1x12" closed back cab.

I have a chance to buy a used Xotic BB Preamp pedal but I'm wondering if it would offer anything that I don't already have with all of those other pedals.

Is the BB Preamp going to do something special that the others can't do?

• Members

Thanks Mark, I kind of suspected that.

From what I can tell, most people using the BB preamp use it primarily to push the amp a bit harder, more or less using it as an un-colored clean boost pedal. I can already do this with the BD-2, OCD or FD2 MOSFET(set on CompCut).

• Members

I already have a Fulltone OCD, PlimSoul and Full-Drive 2 MOSFET, a Maxon OD808 and a Boss BD-2 Blues Breaker pedal.

I have a Twin Reverb 212 and a 1970 Traynor YBA-1 50W BassMaster head and 1x12" closed back cab.

I have a chance to buy a used Xotic BB Preamp pedal but I'm wondering if it would offer anything that I don't already have with all of those other pedals.

Is the BB Preamp going to do something special that the others can't do?

I've owned all of those including a Keeley Modded version of the BD-2 as well as a LOT of other distortions and OD's (Timmy, ZIM, Keeley modded RAT, Maxon Distortion Pro, TC Electronic Nova Drive, Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, etc.). My current rig consists of a Full-Drive 2 MOSFET and a BB Preamp. Try as I might, there hasn't been anything that could knock my BB Preamp off my board. There's such a great amp-like quality and punchiness to it that no other pedal out there can touch. It has a great amount of detail without getting harsh or fizzy like the Fulltone GT-500 or murky like the OCD can get.

If you're one of those "all distortions are pretty much the same" kind of guys, you might not notice a difference and you can probably stick with whatever you've got. If you're really particular about your sound, the BB Preamp is worth checking out. It also works great cascaded with an AC Booster or Fulldrive 2 MOSFET after it in your signal chain.

• Members

There seems to be a lot of love out there for the BB preamp!

I might just have to give this pedal a try after all, it sounds like it might be a keeper.

If it can do a very natural sounding light overdrive that doesn't mess with the guitar's original tone and is touch sensitive, then that's what I see as a useful pedal.

So far, the OCD is the most natural/amp-like pedal that I own but it's pretty heavy in the low end and something else that's a bit more transparent would be a nice complement to the OCD.

I might just have to give this pedal a try after all, it sounds like it might be a keeper.

If it can do a very natural sounding light overdrive that doesn't mess with the guitar's original tone and is touch sensitive, then that's what I see as a useful pedal.

So far, the OCD is the most natural/amp-like pedal that I own but it's pretty heavy in the low end and something else that's a bit more transparent would be a nice complement to the OCD.

I should have posted this before but here is the BB Preamp in my pedalboard:

[video=youtube;HU8FjR_-7V8]

Lately I've been running the pedals a little cleaner and it sounds more amp-like and less pedally...

• Members

It can do an overdrive, but it does it's best work as a distortion.

Here's some crappy iPhone videos of it in action. The sound isn't the best but it's not horrible either and should give you some idea of what it's about. Probably the best Marshall in a box pedal out there.

[video=youtube;qVmjZ8H_eTI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVmjZ8H_eTI&feature=related

[video=youtube;BiGw7Hj2Knw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiGw7Hj2Knw

[video=youtube;t_pE86g4bjw]

[video=youtube;eCF_hdd262Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF_hdd262Y&feature=related

• Members

Lately I've been running the pedals a little cleaner and it sounds more amp-like and less pedally...

Sweet board.

This is my setup...looks like we have similar taste in pedals...

photo-2-2.jpg

I use the Clyde standard too. I have a Clyde Deluxe, but I prefer the standard even though you're supposed to be able to get them to sound the same. :idk:

Sweet board.

This is my setup...looks like we have similar taste in pedals...

photo-2-2.jpg

I use the Clyde standard too. I have a Clyde Deluxe, but I prefer the standard even though you're supposed to be able to get them to sound the same.
:idk:

I like the Clyde Standard a lot...it's really just the only wah sound I really want...what is the T-Rex pedal?

• Members

I like the Clyde Standard a lot...it's really just the only wah sound I really want...what is the T-Rex pedal?

It's a tube compressor. I don't believe there's enough voltage hitting the tube to make it a significant factor in the overall sound, but it's a very nice sounding compressor. Smoother than my old Keeley comp and a lot less noisy. :)

Archived