Joy Division/New Order Appreciation Thread & Gear Discussion

• Members

yes, I know. Hope you are on the mend, glad to hear you are gigging!
I wasn't kidding about liking Interpol better....though without Carlos D's weird bass playing I like them less now. Joy Division always sounded incredibly stiff to me, and I wasn't a fan of the singer's voice....funny old world we live in eh?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by companyman

View Post

PBone turned me on to Julian Plenti, which I dig more than the latest Interpol album.

Yeah, that JP album is pretty good. Sits in a weird place in the Interpol catalogue.

• Members

It always bums me out that Joy Division never recorded a proper version of Ceremony. New Order's version is pretty good (the older version at least; there's a version on singles that sounds too "80s", but that's an Ian Curtis song and that live bootleg on Still is unintelligible. I never really got into New Order other than the really big hits like Blue Monday or Bizarre Love Triangle.

The first Interpol album is {censored}ing amazing. I don't think that the whole "they're a Joy Division clone" thing made a whole lot of sense other than them have the same kind of bleak motif and driving bass lines. Joy Division sound was so much more sparse and open and some songs like "Transmission" and jagged as hell guitars. Interpol was so much more lush sounding and closer to general rock than PiL style post-punk. If they were copying anything it was the band Kitchens of Distinction, which is awesome in their own right (Check out "Death of the Cool". The singer of Interpol even sounds more similar to the singer of KOD than he does to Ian Curtis. It's kind of amazing how far they fell off after that first album though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Reaganomics! View Post
It always bums me out that Joy Division never recorded a proper version of Ceremony. New Order's version is pretty good (the older version at least; there's a version on singles that sounds too "80s", but that's an Ian Curtis song and that live bootleg on Still is unintelligible. I never really got into New Order other than the really big hits like Blue Monday or Bizarre Love Triangle.
There's one on the Heart and Soul box set that's pretty lo-fi but much better.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever View Post
The first New Order album Movement is the only album that sounds like the same band as Joy Division, at least to my ears. The Factus 8 EP really marks the beginning of New Order IMO.

That said, I love both bands for different reasons. But Technique was the last good New Order album.
YES! Temptation love.gif

• Members

/
and Procession
and Everything's Gone Green!

from Wikipedia:
The EP also marks the band's break from producer Martin Hannett, who had produced Movement and both of Joy Division's studio albums. While Hannett produced "Everything's Gone Green", "Procession" and "Mesh", the other two songs on the EP were produced by New Order. Bernard Sumner remarked: "Martin's last track was "Everything's Gone Green" - fact he walked out halfway through the mix because Hooky and me asked him to turn the drums up".[3]

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by akapuli View Post
I like the New Order albums, but I've never seen a proper live performance from them. It makes me think they are simply not able to perform the songs they created in the studio.
This one is pretty good

• 1 year later...

Archived