Those annoying Sunday afternoons..

Logicat

• Members

I just want to share my boredom with you all :facepalm:

I'm sure that this happens to you too : those afternoons (or other day areas) when you try to setup a song, for hours, and you end up with NOTHING but an headache :facepalm:

This is the third week-end i'm trying to setup a definitely non-artistic (but possibly catchy) techno track. I've tried to edit original patches on some of my best synthesizers, i did hours of "jamming" with them above the classic dance groove running from the Electribes...But nothing.

The thing that is even worse, after 2 hours of this hell i feel so tired, so poor-minded :cry:

I was wondering how you cope with these difficult creative moments : do you stop trying and devote yourself to something completely different, or you have a short pause and then re-enter the torture session ?

Sometimes ideas arise so easily...Sometimes definitely not :facepalm:

• Members

Programming new Prophet 08 sounds and making EMX beats. Waiting for my Pizza Hut to arrive.

That's one of the sparkers for me. If I'm in a rut, drop everything if it's getting tiring, then get some fresh air and come back and do some sound designing on my synths. Fresh sounds can be good creativators and get the juices pumping again.

• Members

If something just isn't working or inspring you, just drop it entirely and take a break. I'll either do something non music related, listen to other music for inspiration, or twiddle knobs on the synths and make sounds for future use. Other times I'll rest a bit and daydream while listening to the sounds in the back of my mind aimlessly adrift in my imagination. That seems to be my best inspiration even if programming what I'm hearing is sometimes difficult. One thing I have discovered is that I let the music dictate where I'm headed and not try and turn it into something it isn't... if that makes any sense. Usually the end result isn't as bad as I had imgined and even if it isn't a work of art, it can spawn more ideas.

• Members

That's one of the sparkers for me. If I'm in a rut, drop everything if it's getting tiring, then get some fresh air and come back and do some sound designing on my synths. Fresh sounds can be good creativators and get the juices pumping again.

And also suppress GAS. :lol:

Too many friends going " you want what now? But you have xxx and hardly use it." So I stop and go back to see what else I can do with what I have.

The Mission: 1. Achieve Moog and Acid basses from the Prophet 08 with assistance from the VF-1 if necessary. 2. Get more familiar with the EMX to see if a replacement to a Jomox XBase 888 is warranted. Although I'm finding a lot of quirks in the EMX design that make it difficult to work with in conjunction with some DAW's.

• Members

Actually, following football I've been making some {censored} up and recording it. I'd hardly call what I do composing, because it's usually more like "wow, what kind of cool sounds can I make with these frickin' things," which is probably why my songs always come out like synth demos. :(

Anyhows, this "tune" is the beast that wouldn't be done... Six instances of Absynth 4, plus a bunch of Prophet '08 tracks, five channels of Plugsound Pro (software rompler, mostly drum sounds), some Oddity, and another five tracks of Micro X. Dozens of audio/frozen tracks at this point with all kinds of automated mixing {censored} happening in DP.

I swear, I get burdened by having all of these synths. I should just keep my Virus TI and Prophet '08, and sell everything else and get a Motif XS. One rompler, one digital synth, and one analog polysynth... that's all I'd need. And it'd still probably be too much.

• Members

I swear, I get burdened by having all of these synths. I should just keep my Virus TI and Prophet '08, and sell everything else and get a Motif XS. One rompler, one digital synth, and one analog polysynth... that's all I'd need. And it'd still probably be too much.

I know what you mean. Dumped Kontakt 2, Alpha3, and Idrum and added FM8 to get more into programming.

Just gave up on Acid with the P'08 and have now assigned that duty to Predator. Lots of fine tuning filter adjustments there to make things possible. No need for a FR Revolution. :thu:

• Members

That's pretty much where I've settled at ... Fantom X7, Jupiter-6 and V-Synth (and three Electribes for the percussion section ... )

• Members

Maybe one of my biggest problems is my "program", in the sense that i've programmed my week, day per day, hour per hour. So, composition time (i study animated shows soundtracks) is from 21:45 to 22:45 Mon-Fri; training with guitar and electric drums takes from 20:00 to 21:45 Mon-Fri, in different days. "Free" composition of noisy-type music "has" to be done on Saturday and Sunday in the afternoon...But after a week of various kinds of activities, the only thing i'd like to do in the week-end is sleeping :facepalm:

I'd have to make the "program" a little more elastic, for example with a mood like "play music in the exact moment you feel like you will enjoy it", although this behaviour often leads to a big waste of time, expecially if you're not forced to follow a training "program" by somebody (as when you study during school time)...

But, i suppose, one can't have everything ;)

• Members

"Free" composition of noisy-type music "has" to be done on Saturday and Sunday in the afternoon...

Well, therein, perhaps, lies your problem.

I've never been able to "schedule" my creativity, except when working toward a project deadline.

If music is that important to you, maybe you should re-examine your priorities to allow for more flexible clumps of time to "make music if you're in the mood, or do a, b, or c if you're not." Maybe you simply need to allow greater opportunity for your creativity to take place.

• Members

I have to say I miss those Sunday afternoons, where I'd get to just play and compose. All of you are lucky. Nowadays, between running a business and being a full-time graduate student and TA, I have to fit it in wherever I can, which is usually late at night. Sundays are usually crammed with overflow from the previous week -- grading tests, writing papers, etc. I also find myself doing more composition on the go with Reason and Garageband on my laptop.

It's funny. You spend decades building up a nice studio, and then find your life has become so complicated that you have to basically steal time to do the things you most love doing.

So, my contribution to this thread: Don't ever lose your Sundays.

Historically, art arose from having a surplus of time.

Archived