EHX Cathedral vs. Hardwire RV-7

• Members

I've had both of those, though not together. Going on faded memories, I'd get the Hardwire. Solid pedal, I don't recall any negatives about it, smaller footprint too, and cheaper. I would check out the TC Electronics Hall of Fame, another very worthy contender, and has become my favorite reverb pedal I've owned. The spring on it is only ok, but the plate is really good, and the cathedral and mod settings are terrific, plus you can download any other settings you want via usb.

• Members

yea, get hte hardwire. or HoF like IRG suggested. the cathedral is cool, but big, and its sometimes difficult to just get a decent normal reverb sound out of it. sounds digitally to me, and just too many knobs to turn to screw something up. i'd much prefer somethign with just 2 knobs like the WET

check out the neunaber WET or Reverberator or something if youre feeling fancy

• Members

i recently sold my cathedral. hardwire is in the running as a replacement. i need something simpler which still has stereo capability. it depends on what you're looking for. the cathedral is geared more towards heavy reverb users. if you're into big washes of reverb, it would be a good pedal for you. my complaints were these:

1) i use reverb as a fairly subtle, always on effect. it's hard to get a subtle reverb out of this pedal. it wants to be big.

2) there are so many features, so many modes and settings available, but nothing is really accessible by footswitch. you have to do some knob twiddling to change presets at all. i would rather have one footswitchable preset than 100 that require me to stop playing and spend time twiddling knobs and pushing buttons to access. makes it seem more like a good recording tool to me and less of a usable live pedal. if you're only going to have one setting available to turn on and off, why have such a big pedal on your board?

3) i noticed some tone coloration that bothered me. only a little bit, but it was there nonetheless. perhaps this is the digital sound someone else was referring to. it got a little metallic sounding is the best way i can think of to describe it, a certian tinniness to the sound. it wasn't much when playing clean, but i often use a decent amount of gain and it was worse under those conditions.

• Members

I've had my RV-7 for a little over a month now. I had originally had a Cathedral in mind, but after trying the RV-7, I don't regret my purchase one bit. I usually leave it on all the time set on a moderate spring, which is my favorite setting. The plate is also really great, and the reverse is really fun to experiment with. The only reverb on there that I don't really see myself using is the mod, but that's just me.

Archived