I think I need a different amp

Operator

• Members
I'll second the Blues Jr idea, or even the Pro Reverb would be nice if you don't need a lot of tone shaping. If I was riding the subway to practice and gigs, I'd have a light 1x12 cabinet being fed by one of these:

22-caliber.jpg

It aint tube tone, but its not bad and what it lacks is made up for by the fact that its super convenient. Keeps up with a drummer, can get bright with the right combo, and has onboard dirt/breakup. You can keep it in the back of the cabinet, or in a backpack with a little pedal setup. Then you are really only hauling a gig bag and a speaker cab.

this would be a cool option to consider, but the 44 version.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:rawk:

I played a Vox Pathfinder that was part of the house backline at a show once. It was super thin sounding. But then again, I think the lovable-but-a-spacey sound guy was running the DI out to the monitors. I originally typed minotaurs instead of monitors. Maybe I should have left that.

I think I'm going to legitimately make an Excel document to compare my amp options.

• Members

I'm also researching Egnater's Rebel 30 and Tweaker. They look pretty badass. Especially the Rebel. There's a lot it can do. Does it sound good?

ive got a tweaker and my buddy has the rebel 30 so ive played both a lot. i like the gain on the tweaker better and the tweaker has very good cleans. the rebel has great cleans and (to me) somewhat of a more generic, plain gain tone, and its also got reverb. for what youre looking for id suggest the rebel.

• Members

ive got a tweaker and my buddy has the rebel 30 so ive played both a lot. i like the gain on the tweaker better and the tweaker has very good cleans. the rebel has great cleans and (to me) somewhat of a more generic, plain gain tone, and its also got reverb. for what youre looking for id suggest the rebel.

From the clips I'm hearing on the internet--not a great way to evaluate this stuff, but hey--the Tweaker does seem to have a more interesting overdrive texture. Rebel seems a lot more Classic Rock

• Members

I wonder how dark it makes it though. In the beginning, when he's using humbuckers and has the treble cranked to the max, it still sounds like it has a pretty smooth high end. Do you think it's possible to coax some bright/bitey sounds out of it with using humbuckers?

• Members

erm, maybe look up some more demos, or better yet, go to any guitar store in the country and try it. It does bitey all the way to the "too much" range.

Yeah I really have no real experience with them aside from the occasional rehearsal studio; I've never put one through its paces. Even with the ostensibly warmer cannabis Rex though?

Man, if it can, it sounds perfect. Can it keep up in a quartet?

• Members

Traynor Darkhorse for sure.

Oh man, I forgot about this. I was pretty interested in it when it first came out. It's different from the combo scenario I was imagining, but that thing is small enough to toss in my sack o' pedals, freeing up one arm to carry a 1x12 cab or something. Also, I could theoretically use backline cabs when available. No reverb, but I could get a pedal.

Hmm...

• Members

you and i have the same problems with the bassman.

I get yelled at if i put it past 2.
And it sounds best at 3-4 for the "lower volumes". Which is still ear bleeding loud.

The way that amp breaks up is {censored}ing killer with a sheraton.
Since i've decided to sell both, i've kinda fallen in love with just that as a setup. Bassman / marshall 4x12 greenbacks - sheraton. {censored}ing epic. loud as balls.

That said.
I want an ad30.

Archived