Warning: PC3x v1.30 update

Palaver

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you're having the same problems?

Ever since I made the update this evening, I've been getting an extremely high pitched squeal and it's unbearable. I can't play my board anymore. The two separate outputs on the back are {censored}ed.

Sometimes it works just fine, but when I goto switch programs, the squealing begins. It's really odd.

I'm getting the squeal from the 1/4" outputs on both the headphone jack, and the L/R output. The only thing different is the OS update. The board has never been moved, neither have the patch chords (which are brand new and definitely work fine)

I'll be calling Kurzweil about this tomorrow.

Cheers,

PB

• Members

No problems with 1.3 here. Try a system reset, and continue your thoughts over on Sonikmatter.

There's no need for an inflammatory thread title like "Warning: PC3x v1.30 update", really.

Hey dudes,

Thanks for the responses. It is an inflammatory title, because I wanted whoever to own this board to read into it before they do the update! It's looking like that I got a lemon (judging from the responses). I went through all the diagnostic tests and everything seems to be functioning properly (except for the audio). The headphone jack has a squeal, and only the right output seems to be working now. I figured it may have been something done with the FX in the update... sometimes the board works fine, but when I do a patch switch, it goes haywire.

Yes, I tried reinstalling it a number of times and my outputs are squealing at me. I've never had any problems with the board until I installed this new update.

I was even playing around with the board directly before doing the v1.30 install.

DualLowPass: this board is the best ROMPLER I've owned. Infact, I love it. I am also convinced that it went wrong after I did the update. I've been doing the updates for the last 4 months with no problems. I will call up Kurzweil, and see what they recommend. I know that Kurzweil aren't out to get me or you... I'm sure it's that can be fixed. Perhaps, I just got a lemon, and something triggered it. It's just odd that I've been using it heavily the past week, and it hiccups as soon as I do an update...

I am really hoping that I did something wrong and stupid... And there's a quick fix. In the meantime, I'll get back to you on it. If any one has a folder of the v1.21 update, you can e-mail it to ianphilbutler@yahoo.ca. I'm not sure if you can do a backward install... once again, another Kurzweil question.

I'll leave you with an update. And thanks for the info on the other forum! I'll repost this over there!

• Members

DLP I called Sweetwater and they said the price went down from $3500.00 to $2900.00 for this board. I still think it is too much but maybe the price will come down.

Music123 will still do $2,795.00. Not as good as the $2500 I got mine for, but still not bad. I'd bet they'll knock more off if you called - they're really wanting to shift inventory.

• Members

Hi,

I sent you the OS 1.21 in a zip file as it as provided in the kurzweil website.

Thanks dude. I won't be able to check it until I get home tonight (it's only 9AM) as I am in the mountain time zone. Judging from the responses, I think that I may have a hardware problem.

Thanks,

PB

• Members

Music123 will still do $2,795.00. Not as good as the $2500 I got mine for, but still not bad. I'd bet they'll knock more off if you called - they're really wanting to shift inventory.

Ok. I will check it out. How is the action? That is a big concern of mine. I have not been able to check one out locally because they don

• Members

You're asking the wrong person about the action - I'm not experienced enough to really compare/contrast. I can comment on the apparent build quality of the action, though - I find it to feel very solid, keys have negligible side-to-side play, and it's "comfortable". The keys feel nice.

Cool. That is basically one reason I liked the S-80 and S-90 series and thought Yamaha built a solid keyboard. The PC3X is intriging though.

• Members

Update:

So guys, it looks like I have a faulty unit. I have been in touch with Dave Weiser and he sent me an emergency reboot kit to see if there was something corrupted within the software architecture of my PC3x. I tried his last ditched software solution, and I am still getting the same problems.

It starts to squeal like a 'dog whistle' within the headphones. And the left main output (on back) eventually dies... and by dying, I mean squealing. It almost sounds like a really high pitched feedback. Once again, the board does this while I am seamlessly patch switching. It's like something in the effects change between patches triggers the problem.

The first time this happened, was right after the v1.3 install. The board has been used quite a lot the past months and has had no previous problems to report.

I'll be returning my board after work tomorrow.

Unfortunately, these things happen. However, I can tell you one thing... Kurzweil has been immediate and very helpful in the matter. I have to commend Dave on his excellent customer service.

Despite the mishap... the company is certainly standing behind their product, and for those in question about buying... pick it up. It's a great board with great support. And if it makes you feel better, it seems like I am the only one who's ever had a technical mishap with it.

Cheers,

PB

Archived