I repent, oh Lord, for saying unclean things about the Andromeda

droolmaster0

• Members

Wow. This is really one hell of a synth.

I gave up on it way too early the first time around - it's not a synth that you can just pick up and get great sounds out of, like the Sunsyn. I had a Sunsyn when I had my first Andromeda, and since the Sunsyn just tends to sound great without much effort, I didn't use the Andromeda much, and it fell victim to my insatiable gear lust.

No Sunsyn now, so I'm like reading the manual and the 'tips and tricks' document, and you know - it's not difficult to program it, but you kind of have to get it.

I still prefer the interface and the mod capabilities of the xpander in many ways, but I think that this is actually a better sounding synth to my ears. And the multimode seems to actually work, which distinguishes it from both the Sunsyn and the polyevolver.

Guest Anonymous

One, two, Freddy's coming for you.

Three, four, better lock your door.

Five, six, grab your crucifix.

Seven, eight, better stay up late.

Nine, ten, never sleep again

• Members

Ha - good for you Gene, posting on-topics threads

I've always found the interface a bit confusing, but the sound of the Andromeda is certainly phenomenal.

And, not an analog, but if I remember correctly, you said unclean things about the V-Synth as well - you might change your mind on that one too, one of these days.

• Members

Ha - good for you Gene, posting on-topics threads

I've always found the interface a bit confusing, but the sound of the Andromeda is certainly phenomenal.

And, not an analog, but if I remember correctly, you said unclean things about the V-Synth as well - you might change your mind on that one too, one of these days.

Well, I don't think I'll change my mind on that one...of course, that's the nature of changing one's mind, of course, but it wasn't the interface of the v-synth that I didn't care for. I didn't like the sound quality much, and I thought that after a bit, the audio manipulation kind of sounded samey.

What it really amounts to is - sure, I could change my mind, but I'd have to have some quality time with one first, and I don't have the incentive to do that, whereas I always kind of wondered whether I gave up on the Andromeda too quickly.

I do confess though - I am biased against Roland synths.

• Members

Hmm, interesting thread. I got rid of mine short awhile ago, still not looking back yet.

I can see that. It's not a synth for everyone, and wasn't for me during the period that I had it the first time. It's very menu driven, and the interface isn't nearly as fluid and logical as the xpander, the only analog synth with nearly the power of the Andromeda. And you may have had other reasons.

• Members

Hmm, interesting thread. I got rid of mine short awhile ago, still not looking back yet.

Did you get something to replace it? I seem to remember some chatter about an Omega?

Any thoughts on the Andromeda sound vs. the Omega, meister Drool? You had an Omega too, at some point, right? I have terrible Andromeda-gas atm, but I don't think I can justify buying one when I have an Omega...

- CM

• Members

We can make a test. Take the same midi sequence and make a patch with two detuned saws and opened filter.

Not a bad idea! Both Obie and Moog filters? If you want, make a sequence, PM me and I'll duplicate it on the Omega. Or I can make that MIDI sequence too, if you can handle my crappy 80's polysynth style ;)

- CM

• Members

I copy all the time my PPG patches into the XTk. Sometimes they are great copies, sometimes they aren't. However, that shows me how important it is to have a great user interface that stirs you to trying things out. Knobs/Sliders are irreplaceable when it comes to programming. That is one reason I never liked the Andromeda in the first place.

Like Droolm. says, the Oberheim has a nice structure and makes a very complicated synth into a halfway easy one to program by taking simple modules that connect freely. The 2nd page features are great because they let you even dig deeper, without clattering the module in the first place.

Just my 2 cents...

• Members

Not a bad idea! Both Obie and Moog filters? If you want, make a sequence, PM me and I'll duplicate it on the Omega. Or I can make that MIDI sequence too, if you can handle my crappy 80's polysynth style
;)

We just must set some standard for detune amount. It is easy to dial +/- X cents on Andromeda, but on Jupiter 8 and OB-8 there are no numbers to set. Filter is wide open and VCA is set to sustain = max, some gentle attack, and medium release.

As of MIDI sequence, i like your Omega example. It covers everything. Just record the same thing into MIDI, without quantization and we can start the project. ;)

• Members

Alright since you guys asked -

I had the A6 for almost 5 years, so I definitely knew my way around it.

It's true that after the first year or two, you end up learning whole new things on it, and to be fair, it's taught me a lot about how to make sounds.

But in the end, it was indeed the sound that made me let it go. The way it translated into my songs, it just wasn't... wholesome enough. I've never had that problem with my voyager or monomachine (true, one could argue, 'hey just run the a6 through the moog, but that's not the point then.)

No, I have not picked up an Omega yet - lately my studio has had a bunch of stuff go down. I'm thinking about using some cash to pickup a Mac Pro.

(Although it's sad because i'm also close to M5N territory financially, but that will never happen.) I did grab a Nord Stage, but that's not in the same department.

Archived