what inspires you / 'forced' or 'contrived' inspiration...

amarr1

• Members

recently i have felt uninspired, perhaps due to a lack of interesting activity. anyway, i think i should try to do something unusual to warm up the brain juices. what inspires you / how do you become inspired during cold periods?

i think i'm going to lock myself in my room for a day or two or not talk for a day...

in b4 drugs, etc

• Members

Gather more outside interests, do something new. Take a class, read a book, get out and meet more people. Looking inward for inspiration only works for so long. If your work reflects your world, then just change it.

I find that playing different guitars helps too.

• Members

For me a lot of critical listening helps. Not just listening to the music but thinking about everything in it and how it's being connected into a song. The drums and bass, the atmosphere, the guitar, what have you. If that doesn't work I usually crack this book:

books_art_of_sideways.jpg

The Art of Looking Sideways

The books was designed by a graphic artist as a way of getting of creative blocks. It's just filled with interesting quotes, pictures, paintings, and facts. Some really cool stuff in there.

• Members

I've often played into a 4 tracker recorder until the tape ran out. I'd then play it back and 'see' what I liked.

I also get ideas when playing with other people.

Sometimes a new pedal can give inspiration.

Right now my dishwasher is making weird noises like a synth crossed with a drum machine...

• Members

For me a lot of critical listening helps. Not just listening to the music but thinking about everything in it and how it's being connected into a song. The drums and bass, the atmosphere, the guitar, what have you. If that doesn't work I usually crack this book:

books_art_of_sideways.jpg

The Art of Looking Sideways

The books was designed by a graphic artist as a way of getting of creative blocks. It's just filled with interesting quotes, pictures, paintings, and facts. Some really cool stuff in there.

This looks really neat. thanks!

• Members

2 things. i find that inspiration usually hits me at the worst time when i'm not anywhere near an instrument so i use the voice recorder on my phone to vocally jot down melodic or rhythmic ideas that strike me.

if i'm at a total impasse, i stop trying to write and i study theory until i make a breakthrough.

Archived