Lame overdone topic maybe- analog not quite vs digital

droolmaster0

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Funny how you still don't understand what I'm saying.

I think i did.

So, yeah - I did welcome opinions on the subject that weren't simply point/counterpoint on the same old argument

You failed to mention that only some viewpoints were allowed in this thread.

• Members

I think i did.

You failed to mention that only some viewpoints were allowed in this thread.

Of course, you failed to mention that I am not allowing or disallowing anything. However, just as you are doing, I am expressing annoyance with certain 'opinions' expressed here, especially those that are not really relevant to the issue. Everyone recognizes that some things are relevant and some things are not relevant to a discussion, and everyone would recognize that if someone offered up an opinion on wombats (should they attend public schools?), it would not be relevant to THIS discussion. So, what you continue to do is distort what I am doing into some censorship issue, when in actually, I am all for anyone expressing any opinion that they want. And also for me expressing my views on what they said. And all for you expressing your views, no matter how much you may actually be doing the very same things that you are accusing me of (and there is a word for that). And you also have the right to ignore or not understand the subtleties in another's position. These things are your right as a Venusian.

• Members

Of course, you failed to mention that I am not allowing or disallowing anything. However, just as you are doing, I am expressing annoyance with certain 'opinions' expressed here, especially those that are not really relevant to the issue.

From your first post.

But other people seem to not care a twit about this difference, or claim it doesn't exist, or that it is trivial, or etc, etc....and certainly in many ways digital synths can go (obviously) where analogs can't.

So what I wonder about is not whether one is better than the other, but
why people seem to have such strong opinions that differ so drastically
. I mean, I listen to this and can't imagine that anyone would possibly think that their nord, or waldorf, would sound anywhere near this good. But they DO. And they aren't wrong, either. So, this isn't an argument. It's just kind of curious to me.

I believe that the bolded part is what you are asking.

The answer:

The reason why we have differing opinions on the importance of the difference between digital and analogue synths is that some of us see the end result as more important than the process.

That answer is completely legitimate, and you are right, we are not wrong, and you cannot dismiss it on the grounds that you don't want to hear it.

• Members

From your first post.

I believe that the bolded part is what you are asking.

The answer:

The reason why we have differing opinions on the importance of the difference between digital and analogue synths is that some of us see the end result as more important than the process.

That answer is completely legitimate, and you are right, we are not wrong, and you cannot dismiss it on the grounds that you don't want to hear it.

As I and numerous others have discussed in this thread, there is more going on than simply that some are interested in the end result 'versus' the process. This latter is something that I did address, and commented negatively as to its over simplicity - in other words, it does NOT address the issue. The process is always involved in the end result, whether you want to exact platitudes about the sanctity of the music or not. A player, for instance, might gloat that he only cares about the music and not the process, however, if his fingers go in the wrong places and/or at the wrong times, then the end result won't be right. The process does matter, and to simply dismiss it is not to understand the issue. Obviously some people experience differences between analog and digital - the actual sonic differences have been addressed over and over, and this thread was an attempt to focus more on other factors that play into it. But to say that only the end product matters, and that the process doesn't is just posturing. The player vs the tweaker (a silly distinction, but it's made often) may simply want to dial in a preset, and have the end result represent his playing and not the subtleties of timbre that the tweaker is after, but the process obviously still matters, as I pointed out. On the other hand, if someone is just interested in the playing and not in timbre per se, it is simply incorrect to claim that it is because they are interested only in the music. We are all interested in the music.

• Members

Oh, so if someone calls your argumentation stupid for taking quotes out of context you get offended?

..one meets such sensitive people on the internet ...

Not at all. But if we've descended into namecalling, or if you think I'm stupid, then we should probably wrap this up --- at least, I will, because I have other things to do.

• Members

As I and numerous others have discussed in this thread, there is more going on than simply that some are interested in the end result 'versus' the process. This latter is something that I did address, and
commented negatively as to its over simplicity
- in other words, it does NOT address the issue. The process is always involved in the end result, whether you want to exact
platitudes
about the sanctity of the music or not. A player, for instance, might gloat that he only cares about the music and not the process, however, if his fingers go in the wrong places and/or at the wrong times, then the end result won't be right. The process does matter, and to simply dismiss it is not to understand the issue. Obviously some people experience differences between analog and digital - the actual sonic differences have been addressed over and over, and this thread was an attempt to focus more on other factors that play into it. But to say that only the end product matters, and that the process doesn't is just posturing. The player vs the tweaker (a silly distinction, but it's made often) may simply want to dial in a preset, and have the end result represent his playing and not the subtleties of timbre that the tweaker is after, but the process obviously still matters, as I pointed out. On the other hand, if someone is just interested in the playing and not in timbre per se, it is simply incorrect to claim that it is because they are interested only in the music. We are all interested in the music.

I (and numerous others) have stated that what you find inexplicable and puzzling* is in fact easily explained.

That is our opinion.

You are the one calling my (and numerous others) opinion platitudes and over simplification. Instead of offering argument (or accepting - god forbid - that we have different opinions on this matter) you offer insults.

That is trolling - fairly good and slightly intellectual trolling, but still trolling.

Btw, no one here (as far as i understand it) has gone into a player vs. tweaker discussion at all.

You are the one bringing that up. Unnecessarily, i might add.

Also, no one has denied that the process is important. To some people the process just is not as important as the result.

• Members

I (and numerous others) have stated that what you find inexplicable and puzzling* is in fact easily explained.

That is our opinion.

You are the one calling my (and numerous others) opinion platitudes and over simplification. Instead of offering argument (or accepting - god forbid - that we have different opinions on this matter) you offer insults.

That is trolling - fairly good and slightly intellectual trolling, but still trolling.

Btw, no one here (as far as i understand it) has gone into a player vs. tweaker discussion at all.

Also, no one has denied that the process is important. To some people the process just is not as important as the result.

If I don't respond to you from this point on, I wouldn't want you to think that it was unintentional.

• Members

That is our opinion.

Hey Gene, do you have space for one more quote in your signature? Looks like there's two of us now.. perhaps if you use a smaller font..

• Members

Hey Gene, do you have space for one more quote in your signature? Looks like there's two of us now.. perhaps if you use a smaller font..

Hey, Paolo - it's good to see that you continue to work on your moderation skills. We may not have agreed in the past, but I can't help but respect your desire for excellence.

Btw - do you think that mister Grumphhhh may have picked up his cue from your wonderful quote? And now you're picking up more material from him. But even with all of this acrimony, we should set aside our differences and remember that when it all comes down to it, we're all Venusians.

Archived