Rich Renken's POD HD500, 400, 300 thread

richrenken

• Members

yeah, but the HD500 has nearly everything a man could want, other than a BJ attachment :eek::eek::eek:

LOVE the latest update -- there was a noticeable improvement overall, and a few more amp models FOR FREE was really nice too.

i am still LOVING the HD500 -- i am set up and ready to play in under 5 mins.

recently did a gig at BB Kings Blues CLub in West Palm Beach -- and that venue has a state of the art house system and monitor system onstage -- I had my HD500 running XLR out to the FOH guy, and he had me cranking thru all 12 of the EV monitors onstage, and i was SURROUNDED by my sound onstage, the band guys loved it, and it actually reponded and felt like an AMP does -- controlled harmonic feedback, nearly infinite sustain, and it was MOVING AIR.....

i learn more and more about the effects the more i play it. and all the new controls for the amps added by the update are really helpful in tweaking it out.

I was in Key West a few weeks ago, and saw one of my buddies playing at SLoppy Joes, using an HD300 -- SLoppy's has an $80,000 Martin Audio FOH system and monitors, he didn't even use an amp at all, just HD300 plugged into the FOH system -- and it sounded REALLY good. i got a chance to hang out and listen to a set, and hear what the HD series sounds like coming thru the mains out front, and it really blew me away.

if you are playing thru a good PA, it will really blow your mind. i am SURE a lot of praise and worship guys are loving it -- most of those gigs i have done for the bigger churches have all been on concert quality PA systems -- gotta love it! those gigs sure beat the hell out of those smelly bar gigs i do...

glad to see you are BACK to us here at HCFX -- now let's have some HD talk from the other members about what you like and dislike about the HD!!!:thu:

• Members

Hey guys, I just wanted to start a thread for you guys to hit me up about the POD HD500, 400, and 300. Questions, concerns, thoughts, etc.

One thing I will say is that unlike the M13, HD500 does not do your laundry.
:)

Rich, are the more effects fully stereo compared to the M-series units? Do the reverbs sum to mono? Also when using the effects loop, are the effects summed to mono when going out through the loop?

• Members

Rich, are the more effects fully stereo compared to the M-series units? Do the reverbs sum to mono? Also when using the effects loop, are the effects summed to mono when going out through the loop?

They work just like the M13. Everything is stereo except the distortions. They sum to mono if you run through one. The reverbs do not sum to mono unless you have a distortion after or you sum them on purpose. The effects loop is fully stereo. The only way it will get summed to mono is if you do that outside the box with your effects. But if you run out to say a chorus pedal in stereo and back into the HD500 it will stay stereo unless you put a distortion after the FX return.

• Members

Rich - When will we see new updates for the M9?

As usual, I can't really say, but I can tell you that we are constantly working on this. Now with the effects going over a range of products, we are always working on making them all groovier.

• Members

Rich - When will we see new updates for the M9?

When will it get switches that don't break... I've had my m9 less than a year and it enters loop mode randomly. Which makes for some very unusual moments in a set lol. I still need to see if I can send it in.

• Members

Bought a HD300 but quickly updated to a 500. Still learning. I learned the HD300 in an evening but the 500 is a lot more complicated.

A couple of things that seem weird so far:

-I switched on a digital delay with mod for the edge sound. I set it to dotted 8ths and the delay defaulted to 922ms. I lowered the time down to 350ms but the instant I adjusted the time, the dotted 8ths setting disappeared. I set the thing back to dotted 8ths and the time went back to 922ms. I did this back and forth for a bit till I used my thinker, set the thing to dotted 8ths, and tapped on the tap tempo to about the rhythm of "Streets Have no Name" that just happened to be playing in my head. Bingo - time was at 360ms. Why not let me set the time as a value rather than tapping it out?

-I try to experiment with running 2 amps in parallel, and I get a red DSP overload message.

-I try running a leslie cabinet (drum w/ horn) at the end of teh whole chain and I get a DSp overload message.

-I tried switching between the preamp of an amp and the whole amp - they sound the same. Why have both?

• Members

As usual, I can't really say, but I can tell you that we are constantly working on this. Now with the effects going over a range of products, we are always working on making them all groovier.

Understandable, I'm just more or less seeing if it's falling off the radar or not.

• Members

When will it get switches that don't break... I've had my m9 less than a year and it enters loop mode randomly. Which makes for some very unusual moments in a set lol. I still need to see if I can send it in.

Seriously!! I can tell you we have made changes to these to make them better a few different times. I see less and less artist having problems with them. Email me at richrenken@line6.com and I will get you taken care off. No problem.

• Members

Understandable, I'm just more or less seeing if it's falling off the radar or not.

+1

A new update would be pretty nifty. Not so much to add any more effects, but just to address simple concerns that people have had about the units for 2+ years now.

• Members

Bought a HD300 but quickly updated to a 500. Still learning. I learned the HD300 in an evening but the 500 is a lot more complicated.

A couple of things that seem weird so far:

-I switched on a digital delay with mod for the edge sound. I set it to dotted 8ths and the delay defaulted to 922ms. I lowered the time down to 350ms but the instant I adjusted the time, the dotted 8ths setting disappeared. I set the thing back to dotted 8ths and the time went back to 922ms. I did this back and forth for a bit till I used my thinker, set the thing to dotted 8ths, and tapped on the tap tempo to about the rhythm of "Streets Have no Name" that just happened to be playing in my head. Bingo - time was at 360ms. Why not let me set the time as a value rather than tapping it out?

-I try to experiment with running 2 amps in parallel, and I get a red DSP overload message.

-I try running a leslie cabinet (drum w/ horn) at the end of teh whole chain and I get a DSp overload message.

-I tried switching between the preamp of an amp and the whole amp - they sound the same. Why have both?

You can set it and tap it, you can spin the dial and set it by ms if you want and I believe when you are on note value, you can set the global BPMs.

DSP overload means you don't have the power to do what you are trying. Are you saying that if you put two amps in parallel with no other effects you get the overload message? If the Leslie is the last thing in a string of many effects, you will get that message. It means you ran out of DSP.

They don't sound the same. You should hear the difference. The preamp is for running into a tube amp and has no power amp modeling. So I wonder why you are not hearing the difference.

Curious, why did you jump up to the 500 from the 300?

• Members

DUDE!!!! that new MIDI MOBILIZER gimmick you guys just came out with for the Ipad is AMAZING - please ask them to make one with a USB port!

I saw the Alesis Idock thing at $199 retail -- I know that Line 6 can make a BETTER one for less money.

Ipad is the way to GO man.......i want editing software for my HD500 and a nice USB Mobilizer from Line 6, so i can backup and edit my HD500 patches with an IPAD -- i know and you know it needs to happen :)

• Members

my main request for the HD series is to ADD THE VOCAL MIC PREAMPS and EFFECTS that were in the X3 Live -- those were VERY useful for gigs, and enabled me to add compression and effects to my voice without relying on the soundman, if there even IS one.....also, a model of the Soldano SLO 100 would be great, with the clean, crunch, and solo channels.

and an HD1000 rack mount unit with TWO processors in there, a touch screen, and plenty of knobs on front panel :)

double the processing power of the HD500, and also still compatible with the patches from the HD series.

• Members

You can set it and tap it, you can spin the dial and set it by ms if you want and I believe when you are on note value, you can set the global BPMs.

DSP overload means you don't have the power to do what you are trying. Are you saying that if you put two amps in parallel with no other effects you get the overload message? If the Leslie is the last thing in a string of many effects, you will get that message. It means you ran out of DSP.

They don't sound the same. You should hear the difference. The preamp is for running into a tube amp and has no power amp modeling. So I wonder why you are not hearing the difference.

Curious, why did you jump up to the 500 from the 300?

Try it - activate a digital delay with mod. Set it to dotted 1/8. Adjust the time. Turn the dotted 1/8ths off. Click the dotted 1/8s back on, the time changes. It does this over and over.

I switched to the 500 because I could do the FX in the order I wanted. The 300 has some things I don't like. You only have certain FX in the fixed FX blocks - the 63 spring reverb is in the same black as the dirt pedals. So if you want a spring reverb and a tube screamer - you're SOL. Sure it's got a whole bank of reverbs on a stand alone block - but the spring reverb isn't in there. No FX loop. You have to push buttons A/B together to scroll up through the banks, and B/C together to scroll back down. The 300 models sounded good. It was 95% of what I needed but I needed 100% so I went with the 500.

• Members

DUDE!!!! that new MIDI MOBILIZER gimmick you guys just came out with for the Ipad is AMAZING - please ask them to make one with a USB port!

I saw the Alesis Idock thing at $199 retail -- I know that Line 6 can make a BETTER one for less money.

Ipad is the way to GO man.......i want editing software for my HD500 and a nice USB Mobilizer from Line 6, so i can backup and edit my HD500 patches with an IPAD -- i know and you know it needs to happen

http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

Love it...

• Members

my main request for the HD series is to ADD THE VOCAL MIC PREAMPS and EFFECTS that were in the X3 Live -- those were VERY useful for gigs, and enabled me to add compression and effects to my voice without relying on the soundman, if there even IS one.....also, a model of the Soldano SLO 100 would be great, with the clean, crunch, and solo channels.

and an HD1000 rack mount unit with TWO processors in there, a touch screen, and plenty of knobs on front panel

double the processing power of the HD500, and also still compatible with the patches from the HD series.

On the vocal preamps, we will be doing them sometime in the future. Can't say when. I am a bass player and I am dying for bass amp models too. Imagine, distorted Marshall mixed with Clean punchy SVT? :love:

Love the rest of it too. Who knows.

• Members

Try it - activate a digital delay with mod. Set it to dotted 1/8. Adjust the time. Turn the dotted 1/8ths off. Click the dotted 1/8s back on, the time changes. It does this over and over.

I switched to the 500 because I could do the FX in the order I wanted. The 300 has some things I don't like. You only have certain FX in the fixed FX blocks - the 63 spring reverb is in the same black as the dirt pedals. So if you want a spring reverb and a tube screamer - you're SOL. Sure it's got a whole bank of reverbs on a stand alone block - but the spring reverb isn't in there. No FX loop. You have to push buttons A/B together to scroll up through the banks, and B/C together to scroll back down. The 300 models sounded good. It was 95% of what I needed but I needed 100% so I went with the 500.

I will try it tomorrow, I am kinda lost. Are you saying that only happens on Analog w/Mod?

Those are all good reasons to go to 500 so my next question is why did you get the 300 in the first place? I am asking you this because we are selling a real good amount of the 300 and couldn't be happier, but the 500 is out of control.

Archived