Echo Park or DE7 for the tape sound on the cheaps?

Thomas Rojo

• Members

I bought the Echo Park the moment it came out - been integral to my board ever since + my timing was right (bad pun) because I started wanting a delay by then.

I can't say this about the noise issue: try plugging using the "stereo" output into your amp, this seem to have solved my noise issue. You can really coax out lots of great sounds with that pedal.

On the Echo Park, you can run the stereo back into itself. Run your guitar into left input and out to the right output. Then take a patch cable and run it from the left output to the right input. You get some really interesting sounds and fantastic oscillation when running it that way.

• Members

I have an echoplex, and both the DE7 and the Digidelay here. The modulation is not there but the rest sounds warm with subdued repeats like a good tape unit. Of course the tape saturation effects are not there but I've not found anything that pulls off real tape saturation or come close to each tape echo unit's signature quirks like that. Back to the DE7 and the Digidelay. They both sound almost identical in their perspective tape and echo modes. The DD has a lot more features but does not oscillate. The DE7 oscillates but doesn't do the endless repeats like a echoplex can. If you don't need it to oscillate (imo it does not oscillate or do the moving arm trick like a real tape unit, but kinda close) the DD is the clear winner over the two having tap tempo, looping, reverse, and a number of other digital delay functions.

• Members

The DD has a lot more features but does not oscillate. The DE7 oscillates but doesn't do the endless repeats like a echoplex can. If you don't need it to oscillate (imo it does not oscillate or do the moving arm trick like a real tape unit, but kinda close) the DD is the clear winner over the two having tap tempo, looping, reverse, and a number of other digital delay functions.

I really like the tape mode on the Digidelay. I personally don't think it's a very good tape emulation, but I think as a delay, tape mode it is unique and has lots of character.

I like the Digidelay because it can do this:

[video=youtube;ObeUHqrIvRQ]

• Members

I really like the tape mode on the Digidelay. I personally don't think it's a very good tape emulation

I have several tape echo units, tube and solid state. I agree with you in that tape has a unique sound that I've not seen anything duplicate. As far as the DE-7? If you had a tape echo unit that was free of tape hiss, had a fresh tape, and the tape travel alignment was perfect with a perfect pinch roller (void of modulation)? And say you didn't go crazy on over-driving the tape into saturation or did a lot of oscillation effect stuff? The DE-7 would be dead on. :lol:

I laugh because no tape echo unit I've come across is like that. But for just straight echo use it sounds pretty close for not having those quirks and the price is right. The Digidelay sounds almost identical to the DE-7's echo mode when in tape mode. I have both and have done an a/b comparison. The differences of echos compared to say an echoplex is the DE-7 does not do those endless spacial echos that a plex can do but the DD does. The DD does not do the oscillation effect like a plex but the DE-7 kinda does. The thing is the DD has a lot of other features especially with the tap tempo that really come in handy.

Because of the lack of the lot of stuff inherent with tape echo units it's difficult to nail or seems to be based off the sim pedals I've heard, what I'm really looking for in a delay pedal is some of the warmth and the subdued repeats, especially the subdued endless (or almost) repeats that a tape does and the way it does it. Modulation is a plus even more so if it's controllable but I'm not paying a lot of money for that when I can get the real deal for recording or live work for around the price of some of these top tier digital sims and have a unit like a DE-7 or Digidelay that's in the neighborhood of the real thing for less than $50 as a more portable option for rehearsal, live work, and or as a backup. They still cop some of that warmth and the vibe and no one's going to care live. :idk:

• Members

A lot of delays can do that sound. I know my room mate has a setting like that on his HAZ, I have something similar with my Timefactor - different, more $$ pedals Yes, but I think the EP could maybe do that...

• Members

Damn i really want to try both now. So i think il get the Echo park first then the DE7. I've had the DL4 before, what is different on the echo park?

The algorithm is different between the DL-4 and Echo Park, so how the delays react and sound are going to be different. On the Echo Park any mode can be any of the three sims: tape, digital or analog.

• Members

The Magicstomp has some amazing delay capabilities. If I left on a powered deserted island and I was allowed only one effect pedal to have with with a guitar and amp my choice might just be the magicstomp.
:thu:

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. I had been doing all my deep editing on the computer, but lately, I've been trying it on the pedal itself. It's actually pretty easy. While you don't have everything with easy access on a screen, you also don't have to hook it up to the computer and save the patch back either. The delays are certainly the show stealer for this pedal, but tremolos and chorus stuff are very nice as well.

• Members

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. I had been doing all my deep editing on the computer, but lately, I've been trying it on the pedal itself. It's actually pretty easy. While you don't have everything with easy access on a screen, you also don't have to hook it up to the computer and save the patch back either. The delays are certainly the show stealer for this pedal, but tremolos and chorus stuff are very nice as well.

Add the reverbs and the compressor. I have a Leslie patch I came up with that rivals some of the best stuff out there. Only thing it doesn't have is the ramp up ramp down features, but how often do you use that for guitar work? :idk: The chorus, tremolo, and vibrato patches are amazing. Have you downloaded those Binson patches for it? Someone spent some time really digging deep into the 8 multi tap delay section and came up with some amazing vintage tape/disk echo unit patches for it that are out of this world good. The other hidden treasure is the amp simulator. I take some of my favorite artist's tracks and cut up a loop to play over and over while I tweak the amp simulator to clone the tone of the amp in question. F'n amazing for studio work. :love:

• Members

+1 for the Echo Park! i love the way mine sounds. my only complaint is that it has a mix knob instead of an effect level knob, meaning once you pass 12o'clock it starts lowering your dry signal. not to thread highjack, but does anyone know a way around that?

• Members

Add the reverbs and the compressor. I have a Leslie patch I came up with that rivals some of the best stuff out there. Only thing it doesn't have is the ramp up ramp down features, but how often do you use that for guitar work?
:idk:
The chorus, tremolo, and vibrato patches are amazing. Have you downloaded those Binson patches for it? Someone spent some time really digging deep into the 8 multi tap delay section and came up with some amazing vintage tape/disk echo unit patches for it that are out of this world good. The other hidden treasure is the amp simulator. I take some of my favorite artist's tracks and cut up a loop to play over and over while I tweak the amp simulator to clone the tone of the amp in question. F'n amazing for studio work.
:love:

I'm not familiar with the Binson patches. Do you have a link? Some time ago, I downloaded a few patches from the Yahoo group. I also used some of the UD stomp set, pick and choose from the artist patches and then tinkered with a few of my own.

• Members

My only complaint about the Echo Park I had was it's weight. Some people say the switch is weird, but I actually loved it. It sounded amazing and I loved the tape/analog/digital switch. But it was heavy, which isn't a huge concern. Great sounding pedal IMO. I ended up selling it because I had a DL4 at the time and while I was trying to scale down to a smaller board, I missed the looper of the DL4.

Now I'm using a DD7 but I'd honestly be just as happy with an Echo Park.

• Members

+1 for the Echo Park! i love the way mine sounds. my only complaint is that it has a mix knob instead of an effect level knob, meaning once you pass 12o'clock it starts lowering your dry signal. not to thread highjack, but does anyone know a way around that?

That's actually not the case with the Echo Park. Your dry signal doesn't start getting lowered until you hit around 2 o'clock on the mix dial. By that point, the repeats should be a little louder than your dry signal, but the dry signal is still at unity. That's a much better way of doing it than your usual mix pot where 50/50 is at noon.

• Members

That's actually not the case with the Echo Park. Your dry signal doesn't start getting lowered until you hit around 2 o'clock on the mix dial. By that point, the repeats should be a little louder than your dry signal, but the dry signal is still at unity. That's a much better way of doing it than your usual mix pot where 50/50 is at noon.

that is true it is more like 1 or 2 o'clock before it starts lowering your dry signal. i just wish it wouldn't lower it at all.

• Members

I'm not familiar with the Binson patches. Do you have a link? Some time ago, I downloaded a few patches from the Yahoo group. I also used some of the UD stomp set, pick and choose from the artist patches and then tinkered with a few of my own.

http://www.echotapper.nl/stomp_jpatch/index.html

I picked up a few from the yahoo groups but had more luck creating my own. I used a few from this set and tweaked them for my own delay times etc..

• Members

try powering the dod fx96 with a 12v power supply. completely changes the pedal and becomes far more than just a dirty slap back. longer delay time, better clarity, the tone knob totally changes from adding grit to becoming a dark / bright knob.

I couldn't believe how much difference it made whe I tried it on mine... big improvement!

• Members

i owned a de-7 .. it's definately NOT tape echo territory. it's a good basic no nonsense delay/echo. but tape echo? fuck no.

i owned a dod fx96, quite good that one, again not what i would exactly call tape echo, but nice, especially with a 12v psu. definately more 'analog sounding' overall compared to a de-7.

havn't owned an echo park, but i had a behringer echo machine which is a knock off of the echo park, and that was great but was totally let down by the excessive hiss/noise, to the point where it was not worth keeping.

conclusion: get an echo park (if they are not too noisy/hissy :))

additional: currently i am using a danelectro PB&J which i much prefer over the de-7. the PB&J is not tape echo territory though, but great just for your basic delay/echo and if don't care for modulation...

• Members

I don't get the hype on the DE7. I've never played the echo park, but the DL4 is better than most. It just doesn't have that distinct "bounce" that tape has (I owned a space echo for years). To be honest, I feel that digital is probably closer to tape than analog delays.

• Members

I made an Echo Park demo way back in the day. Might be useful. Was impressed with all but the tap tempo functionality, but hey - at least it has it.

This is one of the better pedal demos. It goes over all the functions and explains them well. Perfect song choices of Nirvana and U2 for demoing specific settings. And of course your ShortScaleMike humor. I've linked to this video multiple times. I thought I'd done it here, but apparently not. Great work!

I think the tap-tempo is great and the only thing better is a specific tap-tempo switch (built-in, external or double like the DD-20).

Archived