I'll be making an appearance in Pittsburgh, PA - you know something I should see?

hangwire

• Members

Damn- both music shops closed on Sunday's- will try and hit them up Monday before the brewers game at 4pm

So kinda have a lot if time to kill between now and 6pmish for our church brewry pre dinner beer, fatheads dinner in southside, and 8pm river cruise :lol: Finished dequcane incline (nothing up there after the museum :idk: but it was cool, love history!) and we are going walk the riverpaths to kill time ... Any last minute suggestions?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup, I like Pittsburgh lots. I like Cleveland too, and obviously Milwaukee where we just got back to a few mins ago. When we were up on the ducanese incline and saw that bar for sale there was the thought of moving and turning that place into a history related wateringhole for the tourists and locals alike :lol:

I'll post a further in depth recap later in the week when I have time... There were some bad things too :o

• Members

Yeah Cleveland is more of a neighborhood city than a downtown scene- which is actually something common for most industrial cities--- business people go in and out of downtown, the workers have fun where they live or in their "districts"

• Members

I had a no show so I'll do my sum up now

Pittsburgh is {censored}ing great. I really like the city. I liked the city last time without even knowing about Carson St on the Southside

Like I mentioned before, I was a bit suprised by the lack of anthing but really fancy resturants up atop Dusqcane incline... there was that bar righta cross from the upper museum that is begging for a external makeover to match the incline's vibe and offer like $1 off drink coupon on the back of the incline fare ticket to hustle people in. But great view of the city so well worth it.

Went to 3 guitars stores. Only planned on 2, but on the way back from Piano's N Stuff I noticed Pa hwy 28 [?] was backed up [rockslide? was what my wife saw on the moring news the next day] so we took the southern way through small towns, and seriously I looked over and Blouevard Guitars was right there :lol: so i jumped out of the car while my wife circled the block.

My thoughts on the guitar stores:

Boulevard was more on appearence than substance. They did have a nice old Fender Bassman combo on the way back, but it was too much $$$ I didnt even feel like trying anything out. The employees were super cool though :thu: not my kind of store but ymmv

Pianos N stuff was worth the drive. $800 Super reverb reissue downstairs. Lots of new stuff and styles which is cool. Lots of pedals. Light on used pedals that interested me, so I didnt pick up anything. My wife almost got a snoppy's harp though :lol:

Pittsburgh Guitars was nice. They had an old Dano convertable high up and I would pick up a reissue for a reasonable price if I saw one. They had a Vox pathfinder 15r that I would have bought if cheaper that $120 spanking new.

I usually try and buy a pedal as a functional souvienere from trips, and almost got that small combo, but bought nothing as nothing really caught my eye.

City review:

awesome, great walking around location from our hotel, went all over the riverwalks and places.

Food places:

Double wide was meh. food wasnt great.
Nice little pretzle shop a few blocks away, grabed one before pittsburgh guitars
Had a beer at THE PUB and felt very English - plus teh bike shop repair owner was there and graciously shared his portabella mushroom dish with us.
Smiling moose was ok, they were playing ghostbusters :lol: and the only other people there were also in town from WI
Milkshake factory was neat
Fatheads was GREAT. Has the supposed#5 best sandwich in the USA, and it was very good. Kelbiasa, Perogries, horseradish, onions... for me that was boosh. best meal the entire stay.

-I forgot about Tasteekakes :lol: childhood nopstalgia from NJ :lol: brought some back... pissed off the 7-11 worker on 6th and Penn

PNC- of course is awesome

wife got us lost whiel walking north of the ballpark. :lol: as she wanted a coffee. Eventually stopped in the the Mocha Llama or something place on North. Then walked around some larger center and went into Duechetown... realized we were probably near the projects and made our way back south and happened across the warhol musuem and stopped in. It was worth it, and got a silkscreen "reverb'd" baseball small print from the gift shop. Another day we did the submarient on the river off Carnegie museum. It was ok but not as cool as the one we did in cleveland as it was less "opened up" for exploration and more a straightforward walking through tour.

Places we missed:

Chruch brewery
the Library on Carson

--- next time :)

complaint:

{censored}ING PUT BETTER OR MORE SIGNS UP

driving around pittsburgh as an out of towner was always frustrating. Some of it was my wife's driving habit of poor direction, but seriously every day we had to go on an adventure because we missed a turn or couldnt find a sign that was only visible after we made a mistake :lol: chicago is a peice of cake compared to Pittsburgh's crazy spagetti mess of roads... if we were locals or semi regulars I am sure it is easy, though... but as slaves to gps it was never something we looked forward to :lol:

but overall, it was great and I'll always be up to coming back

• Members

Hell, I live near the place and I hardly know where I'm going most of the time. You're right, Pittsburgh is a {censored}ing mess. Terribly confusing road system, especially with all of the bridges, tunnels, and just general back-assward design.

Glad you had fun though. It really is a great place.

Archived