Teac reel to reel- worth it for $40 and a 1 hour drive???

hangwire

• Members

I love vintage and analog, and sometimes tape technology (eg TTE ). But reel to reel multitracking is one technology I'm not willing to fuss with. If I was a pro engineer / producer like Phil, sure I would; but for a hobbyist like me it seems like way too much trouble.

...and way too costly!

• Members

Obviously, make sure it works. Look especially at the heads. Ideally, they should have a parabolic rounded face. If there's a flat spot then the heads are worn. The wider the flat spot, the more worn they are. The heads on consumer decks usually can't be lapped because the gap in the pole piece isn't deep enough. Finding replacement heads would be difficult since Teac/Tascam stopped making them years ago.

I don't know how deep the gap is on the A3300SR. I'd guess that a flat spot of less than 1/16" would mean you probably have some time left on the heads. If the flat spot is over 1/8" then I'd pass.

I'd call Teac / Tascam in Montebello and see if they still have belts and pinch rollers for it -- those can be hard to get for some old reel to reels. I'd also call the guy and discuss it with him first before doing the hour drive. Does it work? Any issues? Will he hold it for you since you're driving so far?

Then ask yourself what you'll be using it for. It's NOT a multitrack... just a decent old stereo deck. You can use it for mixdowns, or MAYBE as a tape delay (I don't remember if it's a two or three head design, or if it has input / tape monitoring switches), and to add a bit of analog character to DAW tracks, but probably not much else really. The tape speeds are a little on the slow side, but remember -- this wasn't a "pro" deck, so 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 IPS are about as good as can be expected. The good news is that it can use either 7 or 10" reels. You'll also want to check the heads -- some of those old Teac decks had fairly soft heads that would wear fairly fast. Not sure if you can still get those or not, but to be honest, on a deck like that, it's probably not worth the cost to relap or replace the heads -- just look for one in better shape if that's the situation.

If the answers are all good, then sure -- why not? :)

Archived