What to look for when buying a fender silverface deluxe reverb to avoid a dud?

hangwire

• Members

I think i discovered an issue - when playing certain notes you can hear a rattle. I kept thinking it was a guitar behind me that was just resonating, but I think it is the amp... is that a ghost note [never heard one and no video examples on one besides a harmonica demo] or just some needed screw tightening that is causing a rattle?

• Members

could be tube rattle, baffle rattle, screw rattle, bad tube...

I assumed I would have my amp guy take a look at it eventually... so no big deal i suppose.

you can't really hear it unless it is the last note you play and hold it... if just playing it kinda stays in the background

• Members

a little cleaning and tightening and it is all good :thu:

thinking of selling though because of crazy prices, and my flotAtone is really my sound... it would be nice if the Flot had more than 1 tone control... aside from just throwing an EQ pedal in the back of the combo, can tube amps be modded to turn a tone control into a 3 band eq???

• Members

The tone stacks in tube amps are usually passive, so yes, you can replace the single tone control with a bass-middle-treble arrangement. The things you need to be concerned about are real estate and dealing with extra insertion loss. Basically, whenever your signal goes through a tonestack some signal is lost. The classic three-knob tonestack will obviously have more insertion loss than a one-knob tone control. Usually, there is a stage following the tonestack to help make up for this insertion loss.

The most elegant solution--one that wouldn't involve drilling new holes in the chassis for mounting extra pots--would probably be to go with a two-knob tonestack using a single dual-concentric potentiometer for bass and treble controls (i.e., the Baxandall tonestack).

http://amps.zugster.net/articles/tone-stacks

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/index.html

Archived