super cheap bike advice (help me out breaux)

• Members

so i'm a broke college student and need to get a bike so i can have a reliable mode of transportation. i'm really broke, and as much as i would like to have a sick hc approved road bike, i'm looking at sub 200 on craigslist. don't try and sway me to buy a hybrid or mtb, i've ridden road bikes forever and have a decent fuji hybrid at home if i ever want to hit trails or whatever.

trying not to go the wal mart route as every "store brand" bike i've ever had, save for a 70's schwinn and my fuji at home, have broken.

i found a nice bike on craigslist that would probably suit me well: here

no name light steel frame, vintage gb handlebards, weinmann brakes, sugino pedals, campy nuovo record gears

3n93oc3l95O15P55S4b9dda57170f3ccb1040.jp

3n23pc3o65Y05W45R0b9de1377d646b2717b5.jp

i could probably score it for around 150 bucks with some haggling. should i go for it? i don't need anything amazing, just something that won't break, will get me in better shape, and can handle new orleans roads.

tl;dr is this an ok bike for no money

• Members

Has the bike been sitting? It seems a little odd that he can name all of the components but the handlebars and seat look like they've been sitting around forever. In general, I'd stay away from older bikes on the cheap unless you can get a tune-up done for free. By the time you pay $150 for the bike and another $100 on the tune-up and whatever parts it may need you could have just bought a new bike ready to go.

If you're not opposed to a single speed maybe look at something like this http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_504148_-1_202287_10000_202339

• Members

Honestly $150 is kinda out there for the cost- you can score something like a 70s- 80s raliegh supercross for $20 on craigslist and use the cash to put new tires on and be done
:idk:

i live in new orleans, katrina wiped out a lot of the bike market back in 05.

thanks for the advice dudes, there are a lot of inexpensive single speeds on that website you linked to driverhasabomb- i'll check those out.

Archived