I just sold the last of my electric gear.....

companyman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

damned if I know....a very specialized education in art and art education is not terribly needed these days with schools long moving away from arts and music programs to art-on-a-cart type stuff, where the teacher is hired for half-time with no benefits and travels between 3-4 schools in a day. Schools struggle to keep sports programs these days, priorities have always been toward sports, just more community support generally speaking, so when sports is hurting, you had better believe things are bleak for art and music and theater etc.

I am more of a collegiate level instructor by nature....in that I am more effective at helping artists develop their approach, rather than being the person that is an art cheerleader, meaning that instructor that gets students interested in pursuing the arts (I don't intend the word cheerleader to be demeaning in any way, after-all there would be no artists without someone to get them excited about art!) I hate being long winded on an effects forum about this, don't even really know why I put this thread up lol.

Hey if there are any professors from the Denver area around here that can help a guy get his foot in the door at a college or university to instruct in intro-advanced painting/drawing/studio-practice, hook a brother up LOL!

unemployed college professor with an obscure specialty....have you thought about running for president?

• Members

I was unemployed for 18 months. Stay at home dad with three kids. It was a bad time...men are not meant to be homemakers. Job hunting may be the most demoralizing thing in the world. Fortunately I had a wife that kept us fed.

Mojo sent friend. Hope you catch a break soon.

thanks man, like I said earlier, I am fortunate that I don't have kids that are suffering! So you got a job? That gives me hope, that someone is finding work!

• Members

how did I know a dick comment was coming from you?
:wave:

took us long enough to set it up though.

but seriously, that sucks, hope it all works out for you. is denver a pretty depressed area job wise?

it doesn't even seem like you're looking for a specific job, just "anything".

• Members

thanks man, like I said earlier, I am fortunate that I don't have kids that are suffering! So you got a job? That gives me hope, that someone is finding work!

Yeah, I got a job about a year ago (tech marketing). It literally fell into my lap after pounding the streets for almost 2 years. Stay positive!

• Members

Start a private art class in your home and tout your experience and skills. Look up agorism. Begin with free lessons. Or hire a model for nude drawing classes and pool together the moneys needed to pay for them. As the class grows, start upping the cost. Gain reputation as a good instructor. Word of mouth can get you work. Work with high-school students as a way to help them get into a fine-arts college. Help fix their portfolios and applications.

Then get back into music. Good luck. I'm probably full of {censored}, but I care.

• Members

Start a private art class in your home and tout your experience and skills. Look up agorism. Begin with free lessons. Or hire a model for nude drawing classes and pool together the moneys needed to pay for them. As the class grows, start upping the cost. Gain reputation as a good instructor. Word of mouth can get you work. Work with high-school students as a way to help them get into a fine-arts college. Help fix their portfolios and applications.

Then get back into music. Good luck. I'm probably full of {censored}, but I care.

all good ideas, however I live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment, hardly conducive to teaching, I have been looking into not-for-profits in the area, no responses yet.....I have been building a body of small scale work on paper and am working toward showing soon. Think I may have landed a commission for a piece also, hopefully things are turning around. Thanks for the mojo's and suggestions guys!

Archived