Boost pedal before or after your main overdrive?

Loobs

• Members

hm i use the most time ODs or TUbe Screamers with Boost settings... but just to compensate the volume drop when i split my hummbuckers or to make the clean toan just a bit "more" Oh and i like to boost my Fuzz Face. My Fuzz God II is great in the lower gain settings for break up - more gain makes the sound darker, but not so extrem with a boost in front.

• Members

I used to run my amp semi-clean, so that it would really just start to break up if i dug into some chords. Then I'd have an OD that was set for just a bit more gain, and then a clean boost set for even a bit more gain and volume. That way you have a solid loudness/gain level for all parts of songs. Used to use a Fulldrive 2 for this. Now I have a VFE Pale Horse and looking for a clean boost.

It depends on the gain level you're using it at. If you're already pretty saturated with not much headroom left then hitting the front end will only give you more saturation, not more volume and in fact maybe a perceived volume reduction due to the dynamics of your guitar getting hammered flat.

If you're wanting to stand out more in a solo sense you could stick the booster afterwards which will definitely have more of an effect on your volume. If you're playing around near the breakup point of your preamplifier stage you could also end up runningi nto the same issue there.

Excellent post! :phil:

Archived