School me on boost pedals

sommy

• Members

I'm looking into getting a boost (maybe a pair of boosts, since I'd like to run in stereo). I love how my amp sounds when I'm punching it in the face with additional volume, but because I run multiple overdrive pedals in different parts of my signal chain, it makes achieving unity gain a bit of a pain, since I find myself having to adjust the volume on each pedal when I'm goosing one pedal with another. I'd like to set my pedals all to one even level of volume and then just use a boost at the end of the signal chain for the volume boost.

However, since I don't know much of anything about boost pedals, I (likely erroneously) tend to think of them all as pretty much the same. For my purposes, is there a boost pedal or type of boost pedal that would work best (at the end of the signal chain)? What's the difference between a boost with a high impedance input versus one with a low impedance input?

I'm running a Fender Twin (and no, I don't get much overdrive from the amp at all, obviously -- however, I feel like the preamp starts to compress really nicely once it's pushed a bit).

What do you guys think?

• Members

Also, if I am running stereo, would it be reasonable to just put my boost before my time-based effects (which are the ones splitting the signal into stereo), or can I potentially screw up the inputs of those pedals by running so much gain into them?

• Members

I'd like to see pic of your board, because I don't quite see what you're doing. You're running pedals in stereo, but ultimately into one amp? Not sure I get it, but it's late, and I'm probably confused.

I've used a couple of boost pedals. Tons to choose from, they do differ though. I use a Mad Prof Ruby Red Booster. I like it for a couple of reasons. It has 2 volume controls, one that really adds a little gain, the other is a master volume, together they can add about 40db of boost, more than most pedals. A tone control for added/cut treble is the other control. It's a nice pedal, it can add a little grit if you want it to, it will definitely push your amp more if you want that.

• Members

Also, if I am running stereo, would it be reasonable to just put my boost before my time-based effects (which are the ones splitting the signal into stereo), or can I potentially screw up the inputs of those pedals by running so much gain into them?

SHould be fine. So I split my signal from my Nova delay, one goes to my AC15, the other to a Fender Mustang III amp. Definitely run the boost before the delay/time based effects. It won't hurt them at all.

• Members

Sorry, I meant a pair of Fender Twins. I'm trying to condense a pair of pedal boards I have into one large pedal board so that I can cover everything sonically from clean and compressed to low gain overdrive sounds, to high gain sounds, to synthy sounds.

SHould be fine. So I split my signal from my Nova delay, one goes to my AC15, the other to a Fender Mustang III amp. Definitely run the boost before the delay/time based effects. It won't hurt them at all.

Okay, cool.

• Members

I see now. Do you want the two channels then to have different tones at the same time? So one is synthy, and the other clean? In that case you could still put the boost early, and then maybe a splitter, that would give you two different dirt/clean sounds, then to a delay or reverb with dual inputs and outputs.

Also, the RRB has an optional buffer built into it, so if you're driving multiple pedals this could be helpful.

Archived