OT - Any of you guys brew your own beerz?

d4rk0

• Members

Great Lakes is absolutely one of my favorite American Brewers. A lot of Great Lakes Commodore Perry, Elliot Ness, and Lake Erie Monster were consumed in the making of our latest Stout.
:thu:

My man. Great Lakes is one of the reasons I still love living in Cleveland. Commodore Perry, Nosferatu, Lake Erie Monster, and Burning River are some of my all-time favorite beers. I wish LEM and Nosferatu weren't seasonals, haha

I want to try my hand at brewing at some point, my last college class was a brewing class. Worth every minute.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My man. Great Lakes is one of the reasons I still love living in Cleveland. Commodore Perry, Nosferatu, Lake Erie Monster, and Burning River are some of my all-time favorite beers. I wish LEM and Nosferatu weren't seasonals, haha

I want to try my hand at brewing at some point, my last college class was a brewing class. Worth every minute.

have you ever been to their brewery before? if they have tours and a taste room, I'm heading up over christmas when we visit my inlaws....

• Members

have you ever been to their brewery before? if they have tours and a taste room, I'm heading up over christmas when we visit my inlaws....

I haven't taken a tour but their brew pub on the west side is supposed to be awesome. Great gift shop, too.

• Members

I actually took the tour 2 weeks ago. Fun times! Definitely check it out if you can- and it's free!

You can sample the year-round beers, along with Christmas Ale through the tour. I wish the pub exclusives were available. Also, it's cool how all the beers served at the pub/restaurant are direct lines from the brewery.

Oh yea, I brew beer too. It's tough during winter months, keeping the temperature steady. :)

• Members

Yes and the restaurant rules. They do have tours. When you arrive tell them that you're from out of town and wish to take a tour and they will oblige even if no tours are running.

Also, ask if you can sit in the lower level. You get to look at the original giant kettles while eating. Fun.

Oh, and ask them to show you the Elliot Ness bullet hole history. Really cool stuff.

• Members

Yes and the restaurant rules. They do have tours. When you arrive tell them that you're from out of town and wish to take a tour and they will oblige even if no tours are running.

Also, ask if you can sit in the lower level. You get to look at the original giant kettles while eating. Fun.

Oh, and ask them to show you the Elliot Ness bullet hole history. Really cool stuff.

Definitely check out the lower level! It's a lot of fun. I went one time last year when it was their first week of tapping Christmas Ale. Bad idea. :lol:

• Members

Definitely check out the lower level! It's a lot of fun. I went one time last year when it was their first week of tapping Christmas Ale. Bad idea.
:lol:

I bet that was pretty darn crowded. We took my parents there last summer on some special day and it was ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Big time home brewer here. During the summer, I brew almost every week. I brew a little less once it starts getting cold out. It sucks trying to brew in your garage when it's -10 out! I normally do all-grain, but I've been thinking of doing mini-mash kits, so I can do it on my stove in the winter.

• Members

Just FYI for anyone trying to get in brewing, there's a killer deal on Groupon where $64 gets you:

A brewing essentials equipment kit (a $56.95 value)

A steel bottle opener (a $14.95 value)

Choice of an irish red ale, an autumn amber ale, or an irish stout ingredient kit (up to a $25.95 value)

An instructional DVD (a $4.95 value)

and a $25 gift certificate for a second batch

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gx-midwest-hydroponic-baltimore?p=0

• Members

^Sick Deal^

I finally got a 5 gallon Stainless steel pot and burner.

Going to try and get something together to brew soon.

Excited to start.

Btw, haven't forgot about letting you know when we brew dude. We just did a cleaning of all our stuff, so probably shortly after the new year I'll hit you up.

• Members

I just got a 1-gallon starter kit (dubbel w/ bourbon-soaked oak chips from Brooklyn Brew Shop) from my g/f for xmas, and I got her a cheese press, so it's going to be a crafty new year. Never brewed before, but several friends do extensively. The bay area isn't Portland or Asheville, but there seems to be a good community. I know 1 gallon is very small, but it's about all that I can reasonably fit in my no-garage-condo. Very excited to get started...

• Members

Not beer, but cider. We bought a house last summer with a couple of apple trees out back, so I built a cider press and learnt how to make cider. First batch from last year was ok, although I didn't rack it off properly so it was quite clouded and yeasty. This year it's crystal clear and I've got a 5% and a 9%. Both just taste like apple juice with a bit of a kick - lovely stuff!

• Members

I just got a 1-gallon starter kit (dubbel w/ bourbon-soaked oak chips from Brooklyn Brew Shop) from my g/f for xmas, and I got her a cheese press, so it's going to be a crafty new year. Never brewed before, but several friends do extensively. The bay area isn't Portland or Asheville, but there seems to be a good community. I know 1 gallon is very small, but it's about all that I can reasonably fit in my no-garage-condo. Very excited to get started...

Hey man, you gotta start somewhere! We just bought a 17 gal stainless pot and burner this week. We are hoping to be kegging batches by this summer. We are getting together next week to bottle our (hopefully close to perfect) Russian Imperial Stout that we have in a carboy at the moment. I love this {censored}... :love:

• Members

Big time home brewer here. During the summer, I brew almost every week. I brew a little less once it starts getting cold out. It sucks trying to brew in your garage when it's -10 out! I normally do all-grain, but I've been thinking of doing mini-mash kits, so I can do it on my stove in the winter.

We just went all grain a month ago or so. More work, but you can controll a lot more this way. We still need to figure out how to make a bigger mash ton for the 17 gal pot....

• Members

My brother is good at brewing. He makes stuff that people actually like to drink. His only problem is that he's always experimenting, so he never makes the same thing twice, and some batches turn out weird. He brought up a pumpkin ale for thanksgiving. It was really good.

I was his roommate for a while, but I still have no idea how to do it.

• Members

I've been brewing for about 6 years... love it... I grow my own hops too. I've got East Kent Goldings and Fuggle growing up around my front porch. Nothing like brewing with fresh hops. I even built a beer brewing station as part of my deck in the back yard.

Archived